Interior Thoughts on bumpers, spare tire carrier & tire size...

Interior Thoughts on bumpers, spare tire carrier & tire size...

UncleMike

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ-7, 5L
Trying to wrap up Phase 1 of my 1979 CJ7 rehab, and my target is to wind up with a lightly modified but largely faithful restoration. Mods i am open to are safety related, or intended to correct original Jeep issues, but really not looking to build a wheeling rig, and just plan to putz around town and drive at the beach. Body and frame are original, with no real sign of modifications or body work. Other than some surface rust, no rot or rust. When i got the Jeep, it had a poorly done suspension lift and body lift, and 35x12.50s, tube bumpers, electrical gremlins, guage/switch issues, etc...ran all over the road due to springs and shot steering column/shaft.

With help from this forum, i have since rewired much of the chassis, replaced lights, all switches, gauges (new speedhuts), rebuilt hte heater box (with blazer fan motor upgrade, MTS cables and original, but recored, copper/brass core) and did the wolff steering column bearing and borgeson shaft. Just ordered a mild 2.5" rough country lift, 1/2" tellico shackles and 15x7 crager nomad II (closest i could find to stock) wheels. Tracked down original lever style doors and a few other odds and ends.

Now it is time to think about tire size, and i have a few questions.

First, it has low quality tube bumpers and no spare carrier. Unless some of these came with no spare carrier stock, PO filled the holes (he did a frame-off about 10-years ago). My preference would be to go back to stock bumpers, stock (or close) spare carrier, and bumperettes, but not fully convinced quite yet since the rockcrawler style bumpers are just a slight deviation from OE and don't look "new-fangled". I would like to add a warn 8274 at some point. LIke i said...not looking to be fully stock, but would like a look that is close to original and looks like it was modified back in the 70s/80s...classic.

So, first, tire size. Either going 33x10.5 or 31x10.5s. i could run 33x10.50's with the planned 3" lift...but i am told i would need to keep hte body lift. I'd prefer to go back to stock body bushings as i don't like hte look of body lifts. First question...can i run 33x10.5s with just hte suspension lift? Second consideration...weight and size of spare tire on stock carrier...thoughts on this? Third consideration...drivability...not going with mud tread, and likely just a BFG A/T.

So, as i ponder all of the above, i wanted some thoughts on the tire size, body lift and rear bumper/spare carrier, since it all relates (in my mind). I could go with a bumper with integrated spare carrier, or go back to stock...but, will i have issues down the road with either the 33x10.5 or 31x10.5? Will i have issues running the 33s without the body lift? Would love to get some feedback and pics from anyone with ideas or experience around this...

Trying to wrap up Phase 1 of my 1979 CJ7 rehab, and my target is to wind up with a lightly modified but largely faithful restoration. Mods i am open to are safety related, or intended to correct original Jeep issues, but really not looking to build a wheeling rig, and just plan to putz around town and drive at the beach. Body and frame are original, with no real sign of modifications or body work. Other than some surface rust, no rot or rust. When i got the Jeep, it had a poorly done suspension lift and body lift, and 35x12.50s, tube bumpers, electrical gremlins, guage/switch issues, etc...ran all over the road due to springs and shot steering column/shaft.

With help from this forum, i have since rewired much of the chassis, replaced lights, all switches, gauges (new speedhuts), rebuilt hte heater box (with blazer fan motor upgrade, MTS cables and original, but recored, copper/brass core) and did the wolff steering column bearing and borgeson shaft. Just ordered a mild 2.5" rough country lift, 1/2" tellico shackles and 15x7 crager nomad II (closest i could find to stock) wheels. Tracked down original lever style doors and a few other odds and ends.

First, it has low quality tube bumpers and no spare carrier. Unless some of these came with no spare carrier stock, PO filled the holes (he did a frame-off about 10-years ago). My preference would be to go back to stock bumpers, stock (or close) spare carrier, and bumperettes, but not fully convinced quite yet since the rockcrawler style bumpers are just a slight deviation from OE and don't look "new-fangled". I would like to add a warn 8274 at some point. LIke i said...not looking to be fully stock, but would like a look that is close to original and looks like it was modified back in the 70s/80s...classic.

So, first, tire size. Either going 33x10.5 or 31x10.5s. i could run 33x10.50's with the planned 3" lift...but i am told i would need to keep hte body lift. I'd prefer to go back to stock body bushings as i don't like hte look of body lifts. First question...can i run 33x10.5s with just hte suspension lift? Second consideration...weight and size of spare tire on stock carrier...thoughts on this? Third consideration...drivability...not going with mud tread, and likely just a BFG A/T.

So, as i ponder all of the above, i wanted some thoughts on the tire size, body lift and rear bumper/spare carrier, since it all relates (in my mind). I could go with a bumper with integrated spare carrier, or go back to stock...but, will i have issues down the road with either the 33x10.5 or 31x10.5? Will i have issues running the 33s without the body lift? Would love to get some feedback and pics from anyone with ideas or experience around this...
One more thought, and i attached a pic also. I do need to have a solid receiver hitch, as i need to use a basket on the back to hold coolers and fishing rods, so need that 2" hitch mount. That figures into the bumper discussion...

Attachments

• 1979 CJ7.jpeg
    1979 CJ7.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 8

I have 33x10.50's and a 4 inch lift, no body lift. you might be able to do it with 3 inches ans possibly some minimal body trim work. I have never stuffed my tires into a body panel, not for the lack of trying as I rock crawl.

I should have posted about the tire carrier/bumper stuff before. My bumper has a built in tire carrier/hitch noting mounted to the body the carrier portion also doubles as the home for my Hi Lift jack. There are many bumper/carriers combo's out there. I would avoid fabricating a hitch mount to a tube bumper unless the tubes are very thick wall and can handle the strain of towing.

I have the Warn w/swing out tire carrier with the 2” hitch. Don’t think they want you towing with it, but I’m sure the basket would be good. I’ve had it 15-20 years and like it. I’ve heard the price has skyrocketed but don’t know as fact.

One more question...my jeep doesn't have a sway bar and the leaf plates did not have the exta stud...doesn't appear to have been cut down, nor can i see where there are factory holes for hte bushings on the frame. Anyone put a sway bar on a 1979? Is it as simple as changing the plates out? I don't know where it is supposed ot mount on the frame, but there are unused holes so maybe a set of those? I'd like to do everything i can to get this riding nice and safe on the road.

One more question...my jeep doesn't have a sway bar and the leaf plates did not have the exta stud...doesn't appear to have been cut down, nor can i see where there are factory holes for hte bushings on the frame. Anyone put a sway bar on a 1979? Is it as simple as changing the plates out? I don't know where it is supposed ot mount on the frame, but there are unused holes so maybe a set of those? I'd like to do everything i can to get this riding nice and safe on the road.
I have no sway bars and its fine I corner slow by nature anyway.

Uncle Mike,
I have a factory anti-sway bar (aka: sway bar) if you’re looking for one. Also, the front spring plates which have the correct studs, to which the links attach to.
Pay for shipping and you can have em.

1A07DF89-088E-4606-9D3B-1C9951801269.jpeg

Uncle Mike,
I have a factory anti-sway bar (aka: sway bar) if you’re looking for one. Also, the front spring plates which have the correct studs, to which the links attach to.
Pay for shipping and you can have em.
Thanks for the offer!!!...happy to pay the shipping, but won't need the spring plates, as mine needs the studs for the shock and sway bar link, which i have just purchased. Sway bars appear to be all the same, but i think the shock mounting locations changed in later years. I can definitely use everything else, just let me know how to connect to get cost, venmo, address, etc...What i could also use if you have the info is a pic of where these mount exactly on the frame, or a measurement from something standard (like bump stop)? Mine doesn't appear to be set up for this from the factory (although can't be sure until i have brackets in hand) so assuming i may have to drill some holes.

Thanks for the offer!!!...happy to pay the shipping, but won't need the spring plates, as mine needs the studs for the shock and sway bar link, which i have just purchased. Sway bars appear to be all the same, but i think the shock mounting locations changed in later years. I can definitely use everything else, just let me know how to connect to get cost, venmo, address, etc...What i could also use if you have the info is a pic of where these mount exactly on the frame, or a measurement from something standard (like bump stop)? Mine doesn't appear to be set up for this from the factory (although can't be sure until i have brackets in hand) so assuming i may have to drill some holes.
To converse privately with @KRUPP just hover your mouse over his name (or click) and select "Start Conversation."

sc.JPG

Every bit of this is subjective and dependent on what you want to do with your jeep, I personally love a stock ish looking CJ as well and think they look great with 33s and a mild lift

That being said, if you have stock highway gearing you will accelerate slower and your 4lo wont be as slow as it used to be which can easily be overcome with gearing

Pay attention to your drive shaft lengths and pinion angles

I built a very similar rear bumper for my Jeep i love that look and it’s definitely better in a collision than the stock bumperretes….. i need to install my bumper one of these days as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the Dirtworx bumpers front and back. Came raw metal so I had to sand and paint but the cost was way less than Lod and the construction was excellent

I went with the Dirtworx bumpers front and back. Came raw metal so I had to sand and paint but the cost was way less than Lod and the construction was excellent
I didn’t see very good pictures on Dirtworx web site. Could you take a couple of yours WHATROAD ? Is there a good area for mounting a W8274 ? I really like this mount. 01F7728B-6740-401A-95D2-B3D9F53C39BE.pngF2FB1AE3-B54D-4192-9A18-16F09743600F.pngC83B3936-D45E-46A7-819B-38C8BA7071B9.png

I run 31x10.5 on factory wagon wheels and love the ride quality. I also run a matched set of EAG bumps front and rear. A bit bulky kinda wish I'd gone with there smaller set but maybe on the next one. As far as lift goes I have 1" body (to aide in cleaning) and 1.5" shackle a124e20b6700651dc4c90b6000d5bb08.jpg3672303e5f99e892240868a1d9d81220.jpg7ae5648acea9abc3098863d13bb57a37.jpgd9cdb4de4d63323b3854fc54869991d6.jpgc30ad6cd9ca85e84807307b62105b425.jpg7393d6164ad4bd089b6ca15f810757ad.jpg8d46c523b9c522e07439ba106f8aac96.jpg

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I didn’t see very good pictures on Dirtworx web site
Their website takes some navigating. Click on gallery, scroll to wrangler and cj front bumper, click picture, click site, scroll down click right arrow until winch picture comes up and click on that. Repeat for rear bumper. Originally I didn't order the winch bumper so I had to buy a mounting plate when I finally decided to add one. The attack and departure angles are well addressed and the whole bumper is not bulky and overbearing. It has an original type appearence to it if you know what I mean. I took some pics of my set up, hope they help

Attachments

• 20230412_083954.jpg
    20230412_083954.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230412_083931.jpg
    20230412_083931.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230412_084010.jpg
    20230412_084010.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230412_083925.jpg
    20230412_083925.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 10
and some of the front. A direct remove and bolt on with hardware supplied. Lined right up without a fuss.

Attachments

• 20230412_084111.jpg
    20230412_084111.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230412_084134.jpg
    20230412_084134.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230412_084205.jpg
    20230412_084205.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 8
Thanks. Sent an email yesterday evening.

and some of the front. A direct remove and bolt on with hardware supplied. Lined right up without a fuss.
I like those bumpers

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks