TeamRush Ignition Upgrade

TeamRush Ignition Upgrade
What are your views on Iridium plugs? I've got them in my DD and I was told by multiple sources that they'll last the life of the engine. I know they're on the more expensive side, but I want to get what's best.

If the goal is to never again replace spark plugs then get Platinum or better yet Iridium plugs. If you hear someone say Iridium plugs are the best what they mean is they last the longest.
If you want the best performing plug put in some new copper spark plugs. They cost less but you will have to replace them more often.

Check out this link: Copper Spark Plugs vs. Iridium and Platinum: Understand for Top Performance - CarsDirect

Thanks Busa!

Sent from Tapatalk on a small phone, forgive the misspelling.

Thank you. My jeep did not run right after I bought a rebuilt cardone distributor .When I looked at the numbers they were higher, I hope this will solve the problem that I was having, which was no power on acceleration. I am going to try one from napa

The best plugs for the CJ 258 are the Autolight copper plugs. The CJs do not have the ignition system to handle the newer style plugs.

Jeep has been running great...starts up with no problem...at least till today. It will crank no problem but won't start. Yesterday worked fine, today no start. I am thinking the starter solenoid as the starter is cranking, but maybe not...this is new to me. There is power to the a6...checking I got no juice on the blue wire on the solenoid but I may be testing it wrong as the starter cranks so that is getting juice. Any suggestions before I start replacing parts?

Check to see if you are lacking fuel to the cylinders or spark to the plugs. If no fuel, possibly fuel pump or carb dry, try a teaspoon of fuel down the carb. If no spark, try checking voltage from the positive side of the coil(red wire hot grounding at battery negative), with ign. key on for around 6 volts.

Jeep has been running great...starts up with no problem...at least till today. It will crank no problem but won't start. Yesterday worked fine, today no start. I am thinking the starter solenoid as the starter is cranking, but maybe not...this is new to me. There is power to the a6...checking I got no juice on the blue wire on the solenoid but I may be testing it wrong as the starter cranks so that is getting juice. Any suggestions before I start replacing parts?
Dave, start a new thread. Your question will get lost in this one. You'll need to check for a spark. (and fuel as Torxhead was saying)

so if im reading this correctly, with the straight 6 just use all parts for the 300 6cyl ford, wires and cap? do not use the upgraded MSD with adapter right?

so if im reading this correctly, with the straight 6 just use all parts for the 300 6cyl ford, wires and cap? do not use the upgraded MSD with adapter right?
You can use the OEM parts (wires & cap) for the 300 6cyl ford. You will see improvement even with the jeep ignition module. I went with the MSD ignition module, cap and wires for more improvement. With a more powerful spark it is possible for insulation on the OEM spark plug wires to fail and ground out.

Last edited:
ok so MSD ignition wires cap and rotor for a ford 300 6 cyl...i see that you used that adapter piece..is that only needed for the V8 and not the 6?

ok so MSD ignition wires cap and rotor for a ford 300 6 cyl...i see that you used that adapter piece..is that only needed for the V8 and not the 6?
That adapter is needed for both the V8 and strait 6. It is needed for the bigger distributor cap. Here's the cap for a strait 6
I6Conversion05.gif

I6Conversion06.gif

ok msd does not make the cap for the 6 anymore..so you have to go with a different make

If MSD doesn't make a cap for the 6-258, anyone know who does?

I got mine from Napa

We are talking about a cap I don't think there is such a thing. As long as it has brass terminals its as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Nice long thread and good information... ;) BUT, any advice on an ignition upgrade for a 1976 CJ7 jeep with 258 and prestolite ignition system? Oh by the way, I recently converted to the gm 4.3 tbi.. All is good. It runs.. :cool: BUT- the check engine flashes 42 and 43.. Both for the esc/ess... Of which I currently don't have... :p

Any suggestions on the best and preferably the most economical and easy:D ignition upgrade for my application AND that allows the ecm to control spark timing?

:drool:

;) BUT, any advice on an ignition upgrade for a 1976 CJ7 jeep with 258 and prestolite ignition system?
:drool:
You should install a Motorcraft distributor from a jeep after 1977. It's not hard, you just need to find top dead center and set the distributor accordingly.

How To Set A Distributor

Finding Top Dead Center (TDC).

Disconnect the ignition coil before cranking the engine.

Take out the spark plug of the #1 cylinder.
Cover the #1 spark plug hole...
Use a Lightly pushed in cork or other relatively soft item that won't react badly with gasoline.

DO NOT stick your finger in the hole, only cover it.
Compression on modern engines is sufficient to remove your fingernail and infuse gasoline into your skin.

Crank the engine over until the cork is pushed out. IMMEDIATELY STOP CRANKING!

Locate the crankshaft snout bolt, You will find this bolt in the center of the lower pulley.
Place your finger OVER the hole, and crank the engine clockwise with a hand ratchet by the crank shaft snout bolt.
Removing the other spark plugs may make this task easier. Resist the urge to use the starter...

You will feel the compression stroke start even when cranking by hand.
When you feel the compression stroke start, use a 1/4" wooden dowel rod (wooden chopsticks work well) to feel for the top of the piston through the #1 spark plug hole.
DO NOT USE METAL LIKE A SCREW DRIVER!
You want to use the dowel rod and the crankshaft to locate the piston at the very top of the compression stroke.

Motorcraft distributed part #

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks