TeamRush Ignition Upgrade

TeamRush Ignition Upgrade
Just jump the 'S' terminal or the starter terminal on the solenoid and see if it cranks.

If your going to work on and own an older vehicle (1980 CJ) I cannot stress how important it is to have a FSM (Factory Service Manual).

Let us know what happens after jumping the solenoid.

I have 12.8 volts on the ignition side of the starter, but when I turn the key, nothing, no click, nothing. Does anyone out there have a diagram or picture of a painless harness and msd 6a ignition box hooked up. The diagram in the painless manual is for a ford duraspark ignition sys. thanks
I think you mean you have 12.8 volts on the side of the solenoid that is connected to the battery. Is that right?
Then you turn the key and the engine won't even crank over. If this is correct then you don't have a problem with the ignition system. You have a problem with the starting system.
I think its the starter.
solenoid.jpg
When you turn the key 12 volts should go to the small BLUE wire on the solenoid. That should send battery 12 volts to the big black wire in this picture going down to the starter.

Have your starter tested.

Last edited:
yes it turns the engine over. I didnt have the key in the run position, so It didnt crank. when I do put the key in the run pos. the red light comes on the msd box and there is 12 volts at on the small red wire.

yes it turns the engine over. I didnt have the key in the run position, so It didnt crank.
I'm having trouble understanding you. When you turn the key to the run position you have 12 volts on the small red wire on the MSD ignition and the light on the MSD comes on.

When you turn the key to the start position the starter turns the engine but it doesn't start.

Is that right?
If so then it is a problem with the ignition and not the starter system.

Yea, it has been a real head scratcher. If i could get 12 volts on the blue wire, i believe i could crank it.

i noticed in your picture, you have a ignition wire going to the i terminal if iam looking at it correctly. According to the painless manual, there is only a brown #781 wire on the I terminal if there is a ballast resistor. I do have a red ignition wire in my painless harness, should I put it on the I term.?

when I turn the key, nothing happens, no sound, no click from the solenoid, it will not turn over. I can jump the start solenoid and it will turn the engine over.

I just put that solenoid on yesterday with my starter, i jumped it from the battery to the s terminal where the starter is hooked up and it turned over. I just dont have 12 volts on the blue wire to pull the solenoid when I put the key in the start position

The solenoid is not bad - you are not getting 12v to your solenoid when you try starting, just use your volt meter and your manual to trace back where the problem is.

I just dont have 12 volts on the blue wire to pull the solenoid when I put the key in the start position
Okay. That blue wire gets it's voltage from the key switch. Does the radio and everything else electrical come on when the key is in the ON position?

12 volts should go right from the key switch to the starter solenoid.
Is the OEM ignition module still on the jeep? Disconnect it. That wire used to also go into the OEM ignition module and if that wire is shorted that could be your problem.

BusaDave9, I have another question on your diagram. I have all the parts (MSD 6al, Blaster 2 coil, MSD adapt-a-cap, MSD wires, and distributer springs. The only item not installed yet is the MSD 6al. My question is about the green wire leading away from the old coil cap. Mine did not have one. I have the coil cap or coller but no green wire. Does this make any sence? I ask this because of the red wire from the MSD 6al being connected to the coil cap. Any help would be great. Thanks

My question is about the green wire leading away from the old coil cap. Mine did not have one. I have the coil cap or coller but no green wire. Does this make any sence? I ask this because of the red wire from the MSD 6al being connected to the coil cap. Any help would be great. Thanks
The old coil had a snap-on connector. That should have had 2 wires going to it. One green wire and one wire that could be either red or red and white. You only need the red wire (or red and white) The green wire is not needed. There may be a black plastic sheath over both wires. You need to use this red wire (or red and white) because it has 12 volts only when the key is turned on.

If you the color of the wires don't match up then turn the key to ON. Do NOT start the engine. Check what wire to the old coil connector has 12 volts. Turn off the key. That same wire should no longer have 12 volts. That is the wire (should be red) that has to go to the small red wire for the MDS ignition module.

I hope that makes sense.

:D

Yes, now I get it. Thanks again so much for all the help you have given us on this mod.

just wanted to update everyone on my problem, the ignition switch turned out to be the culprit. Now the old jeep fires right up and runs good. thanks for all the input.

Hello , I am trying to get the correct distributor for this upgrade and not sure if the slots 13r/18r are for a 6 or 8 cylinder .

Thanks,
Kevin

Hello , I am trying to get the correct distributor for this upgrade and not sure if the slots 13r/18r are for a 6 or 8 cylinder .

Thanks,
Kevin

A little clarification for everyone:
You have a pre-Motorcraft Distributor and are looking for a Motorcraft dizzy to do the TeamRush upgrade? Some distributors have the advance weights marked 13r and some are marked 18r. And you are asking what dizzy to get for your V8? Am I on the right track so far?
My understanding is these numbers (13r and 18r) refer to the maximum advance for these distributors. And could apply to either a 6 or 8 cylinder engine. You don't want to get a distributor with less that 13° advance.

What are your views on Iridium plugs? I've got them in my DD and I was told by multiple sources that they'll last the life of the engine. I know they're on the more expensive side, but I want to get what's best.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks