Removing trans / t-case. Do I need to drain? T-5 / D300

Removing trans / t-case. Do I need to drain? T-5 / D300
Have you tried re-torquing those axle "U" bolts?
Did you have this issue before the DS swap?
LG

Have you tried re-torquing those axle "U" bolts?
Did you have this issue before the DS swap?
LG

I haven't tried retorquing the u bolts, but I've prob driven less than two miles since installation. It was an issue right away after the DS swap. Retorquing will be the first thing I try, along with pushing on the body side to side to see if I can detect any lateral movement of the springs (or hear any squeaking)

May I ask why you went to a C/V type DS?
Also-Did the instructions say to turn the axle like you have??
LG

Last edited:
May I ask why you went to a C/V type DS?
LG

The Jeep came with a big ol' lift on it. I tried a TON of stuff trying to chase down why it shook so bad while shifting, esp. into first. New everything between the engine and xfer case, re-geared from 2.73 to 4.10, etc. The driveline angle was at 18 degrees and I figured I'd give it a shot. The little bit I've driven it so far it seems like this was the cure I'd been looking for all along. Unfortunately, it came with this whine / squeaking noise to track down. Hopefully it's something small like some new bushings or re-torquing some bolts.

Did you lube the 'joints' and slip-spline?
I would reduce some of your axle's angle.
Are you sure the front DS is not turn'n?
LG

Did you lube the 'joints' and slip-spline?
I would reduce some of your axle's angle.
Are you sure the front DS is not turn'n?
LG

Tom woods assured me everything is sent lubed, and it looked it but I did not throw a bunch of grease in it yet. The front drive shaft is not turning.

Why would I reduce the axles angle if it's at the proper angle for the CV shaft? 18 degrees was the drive shaft angle before the CV / shims. With 10 degree shims it's pointed in line with the drive shaft, all per the Tom Woods guys.

Be'n that it's made by Tom. I'm certain it's well and correctly made.
His products set the standard.
But-You didn't have the noise till after the install. Have you ck'd your tranny mount?
What did Tom have to say about this issue? :confused:
I would jack up the rear wheels and spin'em. See if you can hear anything.
When was the last time you ck'd ALL the oil levels in your driveline?
LG

Be'n that it's made by Tom. I'm certain it's well and correctly made.
His products set the standard.
But-You didn't have the noise till after the install. Have you ck'd your tranny mount?
What did Tom have to say about this issue? :confused:
I would jack up the rear wheels and spin'em. See if you can hear anything.
When was the last time you ck'd ALL the oil levels in your driveline?
LG

I'm hoping to get a chance to look at this tomorrow if the weather holds out and I'll update. All fluid levels were checked and verified good. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced something went awry with fixing the axle to the springs just the way it's presenting.

God luck with the 'hunt'. :chug:
Please keep us updated.

LG

It still sounds like the driveline to me. I would run it than feel how hot it's getting at the CV and at the axle end.

Tom Woods is top notch, but I've gotten bad parts from good people before :D

Well this is silly.

The noise was being caused by the dust cover type part on the output yoke. It is amazing that little cheap piece of metal can make that huge amount of noise for as long as I drove it without going away or getting worn down enough to stop. I discovered it was the problem by jacking up the jeep and turning the wheels by hand. Even then it was enough to make a very small noise and took a few minutes to isolate.

It was on flush, and appeared to be turning without oscillating but had a small dent in it. Thinking that might be the culprit I started trying to get a small screwdriver under the dent to straighten it and the cover made a loud SNAP and fell into place a VERY small way toward the yoke. Problem solved.

I drove my jeep for the first time without it shaking violently going into first. It drove smoother everywhere else and had less vibration and noise at all stages. I feel like I turned a huge corner in my jeep saga and was grinning ear to ear testing it out on the highway and through the neighborhood. Thanks everyone for the help and guidance.

Now to learn how to weld and treat rust.

It always feels good to find out what is going on and fix it. With these old Jeeps it seems to be never ending thing but thats what makes it fun. Good Job :chug:

Great news :notworthy:
Glad you found it. :banana:
Weld'n is learned by do'n. ;)
Rust is treat'd like the cancer it is-Remove it.:D
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks