Proper fluid for Borg Warner T-5 (Non-World Class)

Proper fluid for Borg Warner T-5 (Non-World Class)

reckboy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 AMC/Jeep CJ-7, 4.2L, T-5 Trans, Dana 300, Stock Diffs w/lockers
I know what you are thinking... "Do a search!" or "Here we go again"...

Well, I will be honest and say I have searched the heck out of this and found a significant amount of conflicting information.

- My owners manual says to use GL-4 gear oil.

- My Chilton's says use ATF.

- I read somewhere that someone contacted Tremec and they say use 30W motor oil.

- My local diff shop swears that using gear oil diluted with some ATF is ideal.

- Most of my Internet searches reveal that folks have great luck with Pennzoil Synchromesh or the comparable RP or RL synth versions..

I would like to know what the savvy jeep-cj forum folks are using with success and maybe some horror stories of what fluid is destructive.

Thanks in advance.

Reckboy

I had the same issue when i bought my jeep. I went with the Pennzoil synchromesh a have had no problems. It had ATF in it when I got it. After changing over to the Pennzoil it actually shifts smoother and less noise.

From what I have read, originally the manuals stated to use the ATF, but that was changed to 80w-90, after somebody realized that was a stupid mistake. It probably was GL4 also.

when i got mine i followed the ATF road....seemed to have problems instantly grinding,ect...also drain like water....found out jeep had a bulletin that changed it over to a gear oil part #8963000000...i couldn't find this info, but crossed the part# from my copy of the 86 factory manual and went to part#04874464 which is nv3500 fliud which is a synchromesh type fluid...that i get right from my parts dept.:D

I have been using 80-90 and have had no issues.

the mopar fluid is also for NSG370 trans.

when i got mine i followed the ATF road....seemed to have problems instantly grinding,ect...also drain like water....found out jeep had a bulletin that changed it over to a gear oil part #8963000000...i couldn't find this info, but crossed the part# from my copy of the 86 factory manual and went to part#04874464 which is nv3500 fliud which is a synchromesh type fluid...that i get right from my parts dept.:D

I am no cheap skate, but that stuff is $27 a quart on amazon! Do you think it is the same formula as synchromesh which is like $9 a quart?

I am no cheap skate, but that stuff is $27 a quart on amazon! Do you think it is the same formula as synchromesh which is like $9 a quart?

Reckboy,

:)Call Red Line Oil in Benica..............talk to there tech people there. Very SMART!
:D:D:D:D

its possible they are the same...i just like to stay as close to factory as i can....and i dont pay for it:D but its $22 bucks over the counter here at my dealer.

its possible they are the same...i just like to stay as close to factory as i can....and i dont pay for it:D but its $22 bucks over the counter here at my dealer.

:)The Facts are there are only a handful of refineries making heavy oil feed stock. The oil is sent by tankers to there packaging facilities where they put there label & nomenclature on the can. The Chemical compositions are nearly the same based on API Service grading's , GL1-GL4.......no rocket science here.
Synthetics also have to meet the same Spec.

Shifts smooth with straight gear oil? GL4 for yellow metal safe? That would probably be the most inexpensive route.

Sorry about that - Missed the T5 - Works fine in my T4

I thought this was an interesting read. According to this, Tremec unofficially recommends 30w motor oil as recently as January 2012 for the NWC T5.

History of the Borg Warner T-5 Transmission; Mustang, Camaro Firebird, S-10

I had some SAE 30 on the shelf so I thought I would give it a try. I only have about 30 minutes of drive time since the fluid swap but so far she shifts great and no bad noises. I will get a full day of wheeling this Saturday, weather permitting and can update more if things change.

I thought this was an interesting read. According to this, Tremec unofficially recommends 30w motor oil as recently as January 2012 for the NWC T5.

History of the Borg Warner T-5 Transmission; Mustang, Camaro Firebird, S-10

I had some SAE 30 on the shelf so I thought I would give it a try. I only have about 30 minutes of drive time since the fluid swap but so far she shifts great and no bad noises. I will get a full day of wheeling this Saturday, weather permitting and can update more if things change.

:)Reckboy.....Here is fact.............when any of these new vehicles come down the line and they were out of the correct oil..............they did not shut the line down they just put whatever in that's there............some will have gear oil and some do have Motor oil or ATF. Some with good and bad results ...........that came right from friends that worked at GM Fremont plant.
Truth is they found out by accident that some of these other choices worked quite well.

Just thought I would put in a quick update... Been running Valvoline sae 30w in my T5 for about a month and a half now and it has been shifting smooth as butter. This includes about a thousand miles of freeway and a hand full of moderately difficult trails around Shaver Lake.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks