2. Posi BBR
3. IPlayBass & OldJeepLady
4. Shooby BBR
5. Bill BBR
6. 007 BBR
7. Ed
8. Bobby G BBR
9. Hagar

And I’m guessing Ed will as well just waiting for confirmation.

Ed also has a friend that may come from South Carolina. I’ll update when I get word.

This may be the only chance I’ll ever get to run BBR and I’m overly excited about it. Very happy to be part of this group.

Signed up now, and willing to do Black Bear in reverse...... Not positive but looks like my cousin and his son in law will be coming from South Carolina in a TJ

1. BusaDave9 BBR
2. Posi BBR
4. Shooby BBR
5. Bill BBR
6. 007 BBR
7. Ed BBR
8. Bobby G BBR
9. Hagar

Here's an updated participant list:
1. BusaDave9 BBR
2. Posi BBR
4. Shooby BBR
5. Bill BBR
6. 007 BBR
7. Ed BBR
8. Bobby G BBR
9. Gary and Sharron (2 Jeeps) BBR
10. Ben
11. David Roybal BBR

Here's the tentative schedule.
Sunday - Black Bear in Reverse, Porphyry Gulch
Monday - Lower Engineer, Poughkeepsie Gulch
Tuesday - Kendall Mt., Black Prince Mine
Wednesday - Ophir Pass, Alta Lakes
Thursday - Black Bear, Imogene Pass
Friday - American Basin, Placer Gulch, Picayne Gulch

Alternate trail rides we can do when we have extra time.
Clear Lake
Buffalo Boy Mine and if we have time Kite Lake

Last edited:
Black Bear Pass in Reverse Direction
To run Black Bear in reverse we'll meet at the parking area at the beginning of Black Bear Pass trail at 7:30 am Sunday August 8th. If you need more than half an hour to air down, put down your top or any other preparation you'll want to arrive extra early because we will be leaving at 8:00 am sharp. Make sure you're full of gas and ready to go.
To get to the meeting area go through Telluride. After going through town you'll pass some mining buildings on the left. Ponds will be on the right. We'll meet at a parking area near these ponds.
BBR-Meeting-Place.jpg

Last edited:
Poughkeepsie Gulch has been closed due to revegetation but they recently opened it.
This is always a fun challenge. Here's the new schedule.

Alternate trail rides we can do when we have extra time.
Clear Lake
Buffalo Boy Mine and if we have time Kite Lake

Sorry, we're out this year,
Have fun.

Ben will be joining us.

1. BusaDave9 BBR
2. Posi BBR
4. Shooby BBR
5. Bill BBR
6. 007 BBR
7. Ed BBR
8. Bobby G BBR
9. Gary and Sharron Woodward (2 Jeeps) BBR
10. Ben
11. David Roybal BBR

Last edited:
Looks like a fun group!
Good to see Ben will be there!
Thanks again BusaDave for all you do to make this trail run possible!

We have reservations at a rv campground in Silverton. It's a long drive in our cj from Silverton to Telluride on the road. We won't know if we would do BBR until just a few days before. Kinda depends on if we get to come, whether Dave gets the permits and finds a Trail blocker at the top, and the weather.

We (mriplaybass and I), are wondering exactly who is staying for the whole week. I know of at least 4 jeeps that are leaving after Tuesday's trail ride. Who all is staying for the whole trail ride through Friday?

Hopefully, we will get our camper and jeep repairs done in time. Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

I am going to drive up to Montrose after we get done on Wednesday and catch a flight home so I can play with my band at a downtown Lincoln music festival, kind of a rare opportunity (and they won't ask us again!) I'll fly back to Montrose on Saturday get my jeep and head over to Colorado Springs, arriving there Saturday night.

We are all set to run Black Bear Pass in the reverse direction but here's a little more information on the topic. We received two permits to do this run. The county and the US Forestry Service both required separate permits.

The US Forestry Service had stipulations:
1. We need to post a sign at the east end (highway 550) of Black Bear Pass saying we have the trail blocked.
2. We need someone at the top of Black Bear Pass preventing anyone from coming down the normal direction.

We are the only group going the reverse direction on August 8th so I will create the sign. (another group is coming Aug. 7th) I was planning on posting the sign but Ben has volunteered to post it Saturday at the trailhead.

Ben has also volunteered to sit at the top of Black Bear Pass preventing anyone from coming down the normal direction.

We'll see you guys in 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

Good news! Thanks Ben for your help it’s much appreciated.
Let Ben know once everyone ascends BB I’ll take Ben down BB and back up so he has a chance to run it as well. I’m thinking we will have enough time and one or more can stand post until we get back, or head down to 550 letting anyone coming up know we’re on the trail.

I am planning on setting up camp off the million dollar highway north of Silverton Saturday night and driving Sunday morning to the bridal falls trail head. Google gives me two options and I am looking for opinions from those who have done this before:

#1 67 miles 1:47 - North to Ridgway back down to Placerville (Basically the main road)

#2 25 miles 1:15 - From 550 West on 679 (closed winters) -Ophir pass - West on 630 into Spring Gulch - Then 145 North to Telluride (There will be two of us on this route)

Option 2 is 30 minutes less and probably a fun ride, but I don't want to get stuck and miss BBP. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks

I am planning on setting up camp off the million dollar highway north of Silverton Saturday night and driving Sunday morning to the bridal falls trail head. Google gives me two options and I am looking for opinions from those who have done this before:

#1 67 miles 1:47 - North to Ridgway back down to Placerville (Basically the main road)

#2 25 miles 1:15 - From 550 West on 679 (closed winters) -Ophir pass - West on 630 into Spring Gulch - Then 145 North to Telluride (There will be two of us on this route)

Option 2 is 30 minutes less and probably a fun ride, but I don't want to get stuck and miss BBP. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks
Take option 2 and go over Ophir Pass. It's an easy trail. I'd like to hear if anyone else is planning on doing this. It would be nice to coordinate it so everyone using Ophir Pass to get to Telluride goes together.

San Miguel Power Association will close 550 near Ouray during the week of our trail rides. It will be closed weekdays 8:30-12:00 and again from 1:00-5:30.
I think we'll be okay. It's good that we are using Silverton as our base. A couple of times we'll use 550 to get to the trailhead but we'll be off the highway by the time they close it at 8:30
RedMtnRdClosure3%28005%29%20%28003%29%20copy-800x1035.jpg

More info is here: https://www.smpa.com/content/red-mountain-electrical-reliability-and-broadband-improvement-project
Closure info may change but I asked the power company to notify me of any changes (they are also notifying jeep tour companies). They update this web page as the plan changes.

Last edited:
San Miguel Power Association will close 550 near Ouray during the week of our trail rides. It will be closed weekdays 8:30-12:00 and again from 1:00-5:30.
I think we'll be okay. It's good that we are using Silverton as our base. A couple of times we'll use 550 to get to the trailhead but we'll be off the highway by the time they close it at 8:30
RedMtnRdClosure3%28005%29%20%28003%29%20copy-800x1035.jpg

More info is here: https://www.smpa.com/content/red-mountain-electrical-reliability-and-broadband-improvement-project
Closure info may change but I asked the power company to notify me of any changes (they are also notifying jeep tour companies). They update this web page as the plan changes.
Wow, that is a pretty major closure.

Wow, that is a pretty major closure.
Yes. When 007 first informed me about this they were saying they'd close the road at 7 am. Now they won't close it until 8:30. This will only affect us on Monday morning. Then we are planning on going up Poughkeepsie Gulch. To get there we'll need to use highway 550. This means we'll have to have an early breakfast and leave Silverton by 8 am. Not a big deal. I'm an early riser. :)

As a reminder here's our tentative plans.

12 Jeeps, this should be a great Trail Ride!

b83f44235a6337bac6372b544bedab39.jpg

d7efaf32191d455981f12f82386f58a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks