Planning the 10th Colorado Jeep-CJ trail ride

Do you plan on attending the 10th Colorado Jeep-CJ trail ride

• Total voters
Planning the 10th Colorado Jeep-CJ trail ride
Summer of '67 Dad drove us over the mountain between Ouray and Telluride in our Willys Wagon on what must have been Imogene pass. I remember having to back up some of the switchbacks because there was no room to make the turn. I also recall having to extinguish an engine fire with water from a thermos bottle. On the same trip we rode the Durango Silverton train and visited a primitive village called Aspen where we saw a shepherd and his dogs driving a huge bunch of sheep right through the streets.

Update on running Black Bear Pass in Reverse.
San Miguel County has a new system and all applications have been delayed. They have been having technical problems and asked me to reapply today, which I did (this is the 3rd time). I was told "You are definitely still being considered as one of the first applicants."
I also need to apply to the US Forestry Service. I contacted them but they won't approve me until the county does.
Although there are delays I am sure my permit will be accepted.

Thanks for all the hard work Dave, it’s much appreciated.

I am sure that it will be a great event, make sure to attach photos on this forum so that non-participant will have an idea of what happened.

I'm working on a little issue regarding running Black Bear Pass in reverse. The Forestry Service is asking us to put a sign on the west side of Black Bear Pass (hwy 550). They also want us to have someone at the top of Black Bear Pass letting others not to go the normal direction because we have the trail blocked. If there is a another group going the same day they may already have a solution for this. I'm trying to find out if that's the case. Either way it shouldn't be a problem.
We'll start up Black Bear Pass by 8:00 am and we'll be at the top well before noon on August 8th.

No other groups are running Black Bear Pass the day we are (Sunday Aug. 8th.)

Who's running BB in reverse?
Who's not?
Out of those that are not, would any of you want to take Black Bear Pass in the normal direction Sunday morning? Then wait at the top to prevent anyone from coming down. We need a lookout at the top.

No other groups are running Black Bear Pass the day we are (Sunday Aug. 8th.)

Who's running BB in reverse?
Who's not?
Out of those that are not, would any of you want to take Black Bear Pass in the normal direction Sunday morning? Then wait at the top to prevent anyone from coming down. We need a lookout at the top.
I'm doing the reverse. Staying in Ouray Saturday night.

Me, Bill, and Carol will be doing BBPR and staying in Norwood Saturday night.

1624815756597.png

Just a heads up, the above "fun climb" has been bulldozed flat sometime last year. This doesn't make sense to me because there was an easy go around to the left (coming up BB).

I other news a delivery truck got stuck on Ophir pass thinking it was a feasible route to Silverton.
ver&type=preview&source=false&width=720&height=956.jpg
https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/misdirected-box-truck-gets-stuck-on-ophir-pass-road/

Years ago on one of the Annual Jeep-CJ.com trail rides we came up behind a two wheel drive Blazer that was stuck in the same location. Posi told the young driver "Let me drive. I'll get you up over this pass." Sure enough Posi took to the wheel as the owner of the Blazer and the rest of us watched. Posi backed up a little and then hit the throttle. With rocks flying and the Blazer bouncing around Posi drove up to the top of the pass. The owner was not mad at Posi about the abuse of his vehicle. He was happy to be at the top. It's a great story that will never grow old.
This article makes me think Posi would have been able to get that delivery truck over the top if he was there.

Last edited:
Interesting story there.

It was hilarious. It was also a 2wd….

I plan on BB backwards as well. I’m staying in Ouray for the week.

Just a heads up, the above "fun climb" has been bulldozed flat sometime last year. This doesn't make sense to me because there was an easy go around to the left (coming up BB).
I wonder if side-by-sides dug it out to where it was REAL obstacle. What a shame regardless.

They should have just left it, no matter how hard it was. Especially with a bypass. I have a real problem with the county making all routes easy. It's like a golf course where every hole is an easy par 3.

They should have just left it, no matter how hard it was. Especially with a bypass. I have a real problem with the county making all routes easy. It's like a golf course where every hole is an easy par 3.
Maybe the dozer guy has a Ford Explorer and got tired of not being able to make it up the trail he has to work on, and now can. :rolleyes:

Check out this video at the 6:10 mark, sad but true.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Me in the same place back in '17.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

they destroyed the challenge and made it a two wheel drive road.

Does not look like the same place until you parked.

Here is a list of the Jeeps that will be participating on the 10th Colorado Jeep-CJ trail ride. Most jeeps will have at least 2 people in them. I have also marked which will be going over Black Bear in the Reverse direction.

I still have to verify some that are not members of Jeep-CJ.com but please provide any corrections.

1. BusaDave9 BBR
2. Posi BBR
3. IPlayBass & OldJeepLady
4. Shooby BBR
5. Bill BBR
6. 007 BBR
7. Ed
8. Bobby G
9. Hagar

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks