Build Thread Operation Money Pit

Build Thread Operation Money Pit
My daughter came to visit from MN. Of course, I put her right to work. First we change the rear driver's side unit bearing on my wife's car. Next, we took off the rock sliders and then took off the roll cage of MP. She helped me lug them all to the back yard. I didn't get pics of us doing the work but she was right there bonding with dear old dad.

After lunch we decided to tackle taking off the stinger/front bumper. Amazingly it was very easy. 6 bolts and it was off. Since that isn't painted it is residing in the garage for the time being. I will post pics of the finished process in a bit. Time for relaxation.

Last edited:
CIMG0070_zpsyhov0kpp.png

Pic of my wife who brought food and my daughter who flew in on Monday and I put to work on Tuesday. :D

The seats and brackets will be taken out today. Maybe the hood if I feel so inclined. Pics to follow. :bounce:

Looking good, nice to have it a family affair! Remember the family that works together stays together :)

Have you woke up at night hearing the new parts calling your name yet?

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Looking good, nice to have it a family affair! Remember the family that works together stays together :)

Have you woke up at night hearing the new parts calling your name yet?

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Since I have most of parts that hasn't happened but darn if I didn't dream about Metalcloak armor. So, I responded and ordered the front fenders and the rear quarter panels and fenders. :eek: Fortunately, they are in the budget.

Seats out.

CIMG0076_zpscb32pgwd.png

Passenger and Driver side fenders off.

CIMG0077_zpsdmpe7c2j.png

CIMG0078_zpszdelsiyd.png

This bold took and hour to get out. I hate that bolt. :mad:

CIMG0074_zpsy91xqrb8.png

Pics aren't showing for some reason, but Mmmm Metalcloak.....

I am going to repost pics. I moved them around in Photobucket and that must be the problem. Thanks for the heads up. Well, I can't go back and fix the pics so I guess you will have to go look at yours and imagine what mine looks like. LOL.

Pics aren't showing for some reason, but Mmmm Metalcloak.....

Unless he really wants us to see that cat. Then maybe the pics are working. :)

I don't have a cat. Lol. Sorry. I will post a bunch in a couple of days.

So, some background on the CJ5. I was previously owned by my sister in Flagstaff, AZ. She and her now ex-boyfriend rebuilt it from the ground up. The frame is mandrel bent rectangle tube front to rear. The engine is a rebuilt 232 with an oversized cam. I bought it from her and have had it approximately 8 years. The engine is strong and the Tranny, a T-14, worked well but is a lighter built transmission made for the early CJ's. The t-case was a Dana 20, while it is a good t-case in its own right, it is very expensive to upgrade to lower gears. I was able to locate a T-18 and Dana 300 for $100 bucks a piece so upgrading became a no brainer. After comparing upgrades and rebuilding costs for the Dana 300 vs the Dana 20 I chose to go with the Dana 300. The jeep currently sits with a 4 inch lift. It is picture here on 33's but in my new pics it is 35's.

Fast forward to Oct. 2014, I took it, via trailer, to Letzroll Offroad to have the T-18 rebuilt and the Dana 300 rebuilt and upgraded with Lomax 4:1 gears. The two driveline pieces were upgraded and rebuilt by Sun Transmissions. Julie and Jerry Sparks are great people and I would trust them with any tranny rebuild and they are on the West Side. After this I waited and waited and waited for everything to be done. Nothing happened and I had enough so I went to the shop and picked up my jeep and brought it home. Although disappointed, I knew I could do the work faster and better than what they would do.

That brings us to today, literally, I am putting a new tube on from Willy's Overland, per my wife's request, the other tub and hacked and chopped and was very twisted. The roll cage and rock sliders were holding it straight. I have currently pulled the rolled cage, rock sliders, seats and brackets, hood and fenders. The front stinger was also pulled and stored inside to painted when it cools off. The other stuff is creating a jungle gym in the backyard.

How it sat before I started to pull it apart.

20140720_133053_zps1dc1b9cd.jpg

Pics of it now in various stages of deconstruction.

Fenders and hood off.

engine%20drivers%20side_zpspdzthgcp.jpg

Stinger off.

CIMG0071_zpse4coqszg.jpg

Seats and brackets out.

CIMG0076_zpscb32pgwd.jpg

My daughter visiting from MN. I put her to work the day after she got her.

My wife bringing us food. We were hungry.

CIMG0070_zpsyhov0kpp.jpg

This is where I am at today. Steering dropped. Tomorrow I plan to pull the dash and unhook the wiring and get the steering wheel out.

steering%20wheel_zps2bcduxwc.jpg

Some potentials issues were brought up on a local board and after doing some research online I think I have found an economical solution. My plan is to install XJ springs and create a stretch that will come to about 9-10 inches. This will help alleviate some of my driveline angle issues.

Getting closer. Windshield and disconnect fuel filler tube and she will be ready to have a new tub. Of course, the body mount bolts need to be undone but it is getting close. Very excited.

CIMG0085_zpsbd6o9qvt.jpg

CIMG0084_zps9yol5p6j.jpg

CIMG0083_zpsdjb3vyy9.jpg

As requested. Pics of body coming off.
1b9bbdbf1fd77ad8a1c63ac0316850ed.jpg

98d2e4b4169b4c811fd62d7e24f1e503.jpg

ba3a20b5e300352b7fed5ac380118438.jpg

79e42237b276aa27ad660b2e6a4d3bce.jpg

Body in backyard.

7874a05927e0357b07ae7e2ced66f433.jpg

I done with the heavy work until it cools off in AZ. My garage gets darn hot in the summer. Should be back at it in the end of October.

Looking good!

Funny you say getting hotter where you are. We here in Florida know what heat is also living next door to the gates of Hell with the high humidity and triple digits in the shade. lol:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom