Build Thread Operation Money Pit

Build Thread Operation Money Pit

defibvt

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5, 4.0L stroker from a 91 XJ,T-18 w/ granny gear, Dana 300 w/ Lomax 4:1 gears.
I have a plan and a dream. My base is a 74 CJ5 with a 232. The engine has been rebuilt and has larger cam so that is rumbles like a V8. I will post pics eventually.

The plan is to install a T-18 tranny with a 6:1 first gear. That will be married to a Dana 300 that will have Tera Lo 4:1 kit. Yes, I know this is expensive and no I don't care. Lockers will go into the front Dana 30 and also in the Dana 44 that is the rear. I have decided which lockers yet but I am leaning towards Yukon or Ox lockers. I also am planning to do a disc brake conversion in the front. I could really use a parts list and advice for this modification.

The body on my CJ5 is totally tweaked and has the occassionally rust spot. It will go to the steel recyclers. I will be using a Painless wire kit for wiring. I will be keeping the original grill but replacing the tub and fenders.

I know I made a strong statement earlier by saying I don't care that it is expensive. The drivetrain is so important and I am not well versed on working on it that is going to be done by Letzroll offroad of Mesa, AZ. I do care about expense so I am shopping online looking for tubs and fenders. I have a lot of the stuff and will be using the old Jeep stuff put in the new one.

Sourcing parts i.e. the tub and fenders is important because it is the base for everything else so I could use help in that arena. I have two I have found that sound promising.

The first is MD Juan 32500 04DT - Steel Body Tub for 72-75 Jeep® CJ-5 - Quadratec which will require me to do a lot of drilling and lining up (especally the body mount bolts).

The second is Bumper, Crossmembers & Parts | Willys Overland Motors which is much more expensive but some really timesaver added benefits. The first being predrilled for body mounts. All firewall holes properly cut and angled. Holes for the gas, brake, and clutch pedals. Hole for the steering column. All tail light wiring and fuel filler holes will also be in place. Later CJ models will have the brackets for the grille support rods, tailgate seals, or tailgate mounting holes installed. Floor supports repaired, modified and/or re-positioned. A number of other parts that we fabricate and weld into place.

Enough of my ramblng, I will post pics of the Jeep in its current state tomorrow. Thank you in advance for all the critics, advice and encouragement.:chug:

This sounds like a big project. The T18 with a D300 requires an adapter which adds some length. Might be an issue for a CJ5. I have the T18 with the Dana 20 and my driveshaft has to have the constant velocity joint at the front to make this work. You may wish to stick with the Dana 20 and put a teralow in it.

If you haven't already purchased the 4.1 kit I'd recommend lomax over tera. A good friend stripped is tera low gears idling up a hill.

0472681e.jpg

JB Conversions, Inc.

Chances are there will be 100 others telling you they have a tera kit and all is good. What I'm saying is the gears can and do strip down, I would recommended anyone installing a tera low kit to keep the original 300 gears for when/if the kit gears strip.

So as not to confuse the T18 first gear is 6.32 and 4.02

Looking forward to your build.

Thanks for the input guys. I thought about the Dana 20 but to put in a 4:1 is very expensive. I bought both the T-18 and the Dana 300 for a hundred bucks a piece. So I am a little money ahead in that regard. I will look at driveline options when it get close install time.

No 4.1 kit available for the 20 they do make a 3.15 kit
I believe the lomax is less expensive then tera gear set as well.

Quick search tells me Lomax runs around $575 and teraflex $780 I'm sure you could find lower prices but you get the idea.

Last edited:
No 4.1 kit available for the 20 they do make a 3.15 kit
I believe the lomax is less expensive then tera gear set as well.

You are correct sir! I forgot the ratio for the Dana 20. I just remember the cost be prohibitive vs a remedy for the driveshaft with the Dana 30. Lomax is a good gearset. I also forgot their name. I am glad you brought them up. Now I can source those instead. Thanks for the reminder.

Stalled due to vendors not calling me back. I wonder if they want my money. Hmmmm......not happy. :confused:

Will be calling and discussing with vendors about placing an order and communication skills after May 19th. I have another obligation that takes precedence. :(

Not meaning to torpedo your build, but IMHO the backbone of ANY Jeep project is the frame. The 74 frame is not that strong. If you're set on building a CJ5, and you're going to dump wheelbarrels full of money into the project, then I get in touch with Jeremy at Throttle Down Kustoms: Throttle Down Kustoms Home Considering the amount of cash I've dumped into my CJ5 project, I regret not getting a new frame, even though mine was in pretty good condition.

Modern steel replacement tubs are also pricey. I have a NOS Jeep CJ5 tub that I purchased from Willys Overland Motors before Chrysler put the kebosh on them reproducing tubs with 'Jeep' stamped in them:

76CJ5Project.jpg

CJ5.jpg

It was over $3K back in the 90's when I bought it. And then I had to get all the other steel parts.

Not meaning to torpedo your build, but IMHO the backbone of ANY Jeep project is the frame. The 74 frame is not that strong. If you're set on building a CJ5, and you're going to dump wheelbarrels full of money into the project, then I get in touch with Jeremy at Throttle Down Kustoms: Throttle Down Kustoms Home Considering the amount of cash I've dumped into my CJ5 project, I regret not getting a new frame, even though mine was in pretty good condition.

Modern steel replacement tubs are also pricey. I have a NOS Jeep CJ5 tub that I purchased from Willys Overland Motors before Chrysler put the kebosh on them reproducing tubs with 'Jeep' stamped in them:

76CJ5Project.jpg

CJ5.jpg

It was over $3K back in the 90's when I bought it. And then I had to get all the other steel parts.

To answer some of the issues you have raised, a tub from Willys Overland Motors is $3999. Well worth the money in my opinion. The frame on my CJ5 is not stock. It is a totally boxed in mandrel bent frame so, as you can see, the frame is not an issue.

I am not doing a restoration so having Jeep stamped on the side of my CJ is just aesthetics and not necessary for the overall build.

Thanks for input. Now, I have to check out Lomax gears.

After much ado and long awaited parts ordering, the last of the parts will be arriving this coming week.

I WILL :eek::eek::D post picks this time and I will post actual pics of it on the trailer leaving for the shop and pics of it arriving at the shop. It will be worked on at Letzroll offroad located in Mesa, AZ.

:lpopcorn:

:confused:Guess I counted my chickens before they hatched. The Lomax gears I ordered are on backorder. They should have them by the end of the week and then fill orders. I hope this doesn't take to long. Arghhhh!!!!

USPS shows my Lomax gears are leaving MT and are on their way. The CJ goes in for drivetrain surgery on Sunday so I will be taking picks then. The CJ is being used as a temporary shelf and place to lean stuff against so when I dig it out I will get pics posted. Promise. :D

Lomax gears will be here Monday, Monday, Monday!!!!:D

So, after a long wait I have pics!!

20140720_134847_zps9b982001.png[/URL]

20140720_133117_zpsd15ba158.png[/URL]

20140720_133106_zps10082c01.png[/URL]

20140720_133053_zps1dc1b9cd.png[/URL]

20140720_133131_zpsb31cd777.png[/URL]

Last edited:
Pics of pile o' parts.

20140719_064916_zps8e9715f1.png

20140719_064923_zpsed95655f.png

The jeep is at Letzroll offroad. Unfortunately, my friend had to hurry so no pics of it at the shop. I will be going to the shop on Tuesday with the Lomax gears so hopefully I will have pics then.

Last edited:
Lomax 4:1 kit showed up today. A day late but at least they are here.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks