Build Thread OK, So I'm a slow learner...

Build Thread OK, So I'm a slow learner...

Project86

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ 7 Blue
2004 Chevy LWB CC,
2012 Corvette Grand Sport
1986 CJ 7 Red Garnet
1978 CJ 7 Kinda Orangish
I went and bought another 86 CJ7. This one will be for my daughter. Here's a start on some of the pictures. I will post more later once a take a few. I had to sorta wedge it on the trailer. :D One of the pictures shows the tire bulging over the trailer edge. So now I am working on two projects at the same time. What in hell am I thinkin! :eek: Still need to get the other outta the paint shop.

Well Savannah decided she was gonna change out the seats. Dad hooked her up with an air ratchet and supervised. The "new" seats were an upgrade since the orginals had huge tears along the edges. The only blemish on the ones she installed is a small tear on the passengers side. Here are some pictures. The paint on the inside is in very good shape; so much so that I will probably leave the inside as is. Peace out.

Yep, this jeep has been slightly bastardized by the PO. It has axles from either a Scout or Scout II under it. That's all the info I from the PO, so going down to NAPA and such to get brake parts has turned out to be a research expedition. There wasn't even a brake line to the rear brakes; that will be part of today's mission to find another. The one picture of the U-bolts for the front end didn't come out correctly. They made a U bolt out of a piece of all thread. The ring gear was marked DANA. More pictures later.

So while the other jeep is at the paint shop, we've been doing a little add on's and such with my daughters jeep. We sold the orginals wheels and tires and used the jack to buy this new set. I'm gonna take 'em back off later and do some body work so as of now they are just for looks and outta the way. I got the bumpers for free from a friend who replaced these with some some more aggessive/stronger ones. The brakes and wheel cylinders have been done, but I'm waiting on the purple brake lines to come in any day. Then I can finish the brake part of the project. Of course, she wants pink detailing under the hood. So I'm beginning to research whats available. More pictures later ya'll. peace out.

Hey BTW, does anyone know what the color paint code is or is called? Please look at the interior pictures above; I'm gonna re-paint the exterior back to the same color. Thanks.

OK, so this one is in the paint shop. Same guy I used last time so I'm sure he'll take awhile and I'll get a much needed wrench break. We'll be doing OEM red garnet on the outside. Quick story, I was driving it over to the shop and had my dad behind me in my truck for safety. Good thing. The first red light in town the bolts that hold the bell crank rod to the bell housing fell out and I had no clutch! I motioned and he quickly pulled around in front and we put a strap on it and pulled it over to the side. A quick trip to the hardware store for some 5/16 bolts, which we had to chase the threads and we were back in business.

Mechanically, this jeep isn't ready for the road. Hopefully, when it comes back freshly painted I'll get inspired to find and finish all the mechanical issues and get it ready for my daughter. Stay tuned.

Lucky the old boy was following behind !!
Look forward to seeing more updates.

:chug:

Break time is over, time to go back to wrenching on Jeeps. Some break, I spent my time working on a '88 Buick Reatta. That's another story for another time. Rumor has it that my paint man will have it outta the shop pretty quickly. I can't blame him for being so long on the body and paint, I told him to take his time and make sure he didn't drop the ball on his insurance "bread and butter" projects. But I didn't think it would be this long. I'm gonna use the upcoming 3 day weekend to shoot tintable U Pol on the hard top and various pieces. I will be posting many pictures in the future.

I knew I remembered this thread when I saw the name of it. :) Welcome back to wrenching. Im in kinda the same boat. Life interrupts. :chug:

Interesting enough!, keep it coming. Looks like a nice start even considering the problems.

Went out 125 miles into the GOM for an overnighter instead of working on the hardtop. We managed to drag up quite few amberjacks, ling, and other fish. Of course we lost a fair share also. I hung one that busted the rod.

OK, so I finally got the hard top and other parts sandblasted. So I got it all set up and taped off to apply the tintable bedliner. I will post the finished pictures once the pookie dries and I can remove the tape. IF someone attempts this using the U Pol Raptor there is one thing I forgot to mention on my other thread when it comes down to mixing. You will need more than a pint of paint. 1 oz is 30 ml, so 5 oz is 150 ml.

So the million dollar question is what color did I choose? Stay tuned til tomorrow and I'll post the finished product pictures. I can tell you that I like this color more than the other top on the other jeep. It turned out sweet. BWHAHAHAHA!

Here are the pictures. The outside light doesn't really do the pictures justice. It makes the grey look almost white. Once everything is put back on the jeep, I think the grey will look good over the exterior color. You may remember that the top on the blue jeep was shot in a brown/tan color. My son and daughter will be swap tops for a different look and it will look attractive either way. Red garnet with brown and Blue with grey.

BTW, if someone wants it, I have one unopened bottle (750 ml) of tintable U Pol Raptor I'll give to 'em if they pay the shipping. This site has been really helpful with advice and encouragement, in return I'd like to "pay if forward" for someone who could use the same.

Been working at the real job, being master of the masonic lodge, and trying to run some charters BUT I've also been wrenching on the CJ. I will have pictures up by next week.

Yippee! picture time.

Old carb....new carb.

new fuel bezel and lights.

new battery tray.

rear wheel area, it has changed since this pict. you'll see later.

If you don't know what the first pict is I'll tell ya'. It is the best darn thing there is for cutting holes. Go down to the local electrician gettin' place and tell 'em you need a 1/2" knock out. They also come in bigger sizes.

Pict 2 is a standard LED tail light light. I took 2 and wired 'em up under the dash to a toggle switch for interior lights. Of course, I had to fab up my own bracket. Worked like a champ.

lastly just an unfinished pict of the dash.

Now the vision is coming together in the first picture.

Another pict of the right rear corner with emphasis on the bedlined tire stop.

U Pol raptor on the tranny cover.

Last picture, just a closer view of the install on the tune box.

Next up comes the light bar and it's wiring. Gotta go get some folks to work, I'll post more later today.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom