My review of the 2012 Wrangler JK

My review of the 2012 Wrangler JK

dave123

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
I thought that perhaps others here might take their love for Jeeps into the 21st century. Being a CJ guy since the late 70’s, I finally took the plunge and got a 2012 Wrangler. If you are considering the same, maybe this will help you.

I recently bought a 2012 Wrangler 2 door. I have about 3,000 miles on the vehicle now, so time for my review.

Jeep has finally done it right. Although nothing will ever replace my love for CJ’s, I can now drive my Jeep every day regardless of weather. In my old CJ, I would check the weather and if it looked like a rainy day, take the car. No more. Now I have the best of both worlds for the first time. The Jeep does have one problem, when I run the a/c, the front carpet gets wet, must be a messed up drain hose. It will see the dealer this week for repair. Other than that, it is perfect so far.

This Jeep handles reasonably well, and with 285hp, is actually fun to drive on the street. I mean, fun to drive in a car way, not an old CJ way. It cruises smooth at 90 mph, gets 20mpg on the freeway, and has a/c. Not a bad way to travel. I just got back from a 1600 mile trip to Georgia. What other vehicle can drive comfortably up the freeway in 95 degree weather, then upon arrival, drop the top, take off the doors, and hit the back roads for some 4 wheeling?? NONE.

Pros – It’s a Jeep. Yes it is plastic with computers and all that, but I still feel like I’m in a Jeep. Doors off, top down, fun in the sun for the whole family.

The 3.6 engine is awesome. This engine is smooth and pulls hard all the way up the RPM’s. Respectable MPG as well.

The sunrider soft top is great. The front half can be folded back in seconds (I’ve done it from the driver’s seat at a stoplight). From side to side, from windshield to just behind my head is all open. Remove the half door top halves (takes seconds) and it is almost as good as having the top down.

Cons – I know once my warranty runs out that much of the things I could fix/modify on the old CJ will have to be left to guys with computers.

Not sure why they put the side mirrors on the doors. Now with the doors off, all I have is the rearview mirror in the middle. Dumb move, Chrysler.

I think they should have found a way to give it more lockable storage. The bin under the floor behind the back seat could be bigger. How about some lockable storage under the front seats? Bestop makes a box, but it needs modification for the 2012’s and is pretty small.

The half doors are a tradeoff that could be done better. Although with the top half off, the opening is much bigger than regular doors, and IMO looks way better with the top down, the plastic window is miserable when you have it open with that top half of the door on (something I had to do because of lack of space when we were traveling). Your arm sweats on the small plastic opening. Storing the top halves also takes up most of the space behind the back seat, very awkward. How about windows that roll down into the bottom halves, then just remove the top frame? Living in south florida where I can afford to have them off most of the time, is worth it. But if I lived up north, I think I would prefer the regular doors.

Up-coming mods:

1st the muffler has to go. This thing sounds like a Honda Civic. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I say the muffler is over 3 feet long. This is on the short list.

Next, more aggressive tires. I think some Rubicon ones off Craigslist from one of those guys who instantly put on massive tires should be doable.

Seat covers for when I get dirty.

Down the line, a 1 ½ lift/leveling kit, better stereo, more lockable storage, better front bumper, rims, air induction, etc. will most likely make the list as funds become available.

Some thoughts for die hard CJ guys…

I had a thread here when I originally considered the sale of my CJ and buying the JK. One response haunted me, it was something like – “you are trading two vehicles you like for one you think you might like.” Yes, but it worked. Every time I drive my JK, that same ear to ear grin that the CJ gave me is present.

I have owned 4 Jeeps now, 3 CJ’s ranging from 1973 to 1977 (all CJ5 with V8). I love Jeeps and loved my CJ’s, but somehow, the family seemed to outgrow the old CJ. The wife and kids no longer enjoyed it like they did when we were younger. One of the main reasons I enjoy my Jeep is taking them on light off road trips, and just cruising with no top. With a 2012 Wrangler, I saw the chance to add a/c and a top that can be put up when weather changes mid trip. It worked, they love the Wrangler and the good times are back!

One other thing: If you get a new Jeep, tread lightly. Yes there is a website treadlightly.org. It’s an off roading association. Join them (60.00 for 3 years) and you get 1% off invoice and no dealer fees. I live in south Florida; all dealers here have dealer fees, and won’t budge. I just showed the dealer my membership confirmation and got 1% under invoice (not MSRP, invoice). No other fees at all. Out the door my Sport S (s package has a/c, wheels, tires and some other stuff) with the Limited slip and the 3.73 axel for less than 25,000 out the door including all taxes and registration fees. Not bad. After the money I made selling my CJ (5,500) and my car (15,500), I owe less than 5,000 at 0% for 3 years.

Not bad at all.

Fun in the sun with my family. For me, that's what Jeep means.

Attachments

• DSCF2823.GIF
    DSCF2823.GIF
    1.3 MB · Views: 920
  • DSCF2923.GIF
    DSCF2923.GIF
    2.2 MB · Views: 929
Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I think the JK is a great vehicle and the Rubi is the best all around 4wd in history. And there are some good JK sites to support u and parts for take offs are super cheap and abundant. I have considered doing the rubi wheels as well. They are regularly on cl from 650 to 1000 (negotiable) for all five with stock mud terrains and like 12 miles on.

For me it would have been hard to pass up 0 percent and paying an extra 130 a month or so to keep my CJ. I am sure there were many factors to you're decision but I would miss all the waves, nostalgia at the pump, and the fact I don't have to be so careful offroad and can repair easy on the trail. Again thats just me. I couldnt even let go of a YJ Full of memories.:D

Nice review; I love my JK! Enjoy that mileage while it lasts; my '09 gets around 13.5mpg with 35's and 5.13 gearing...lol. I also have the half doors, though I had to trade my full doors to get them. Take very special care of those door uppers; you don't wanna know how much it costs to replace them and they scratch just as easily as the rest of the top (and the aftermarket doesn't make any right now that I'm aware of). Plus, if you're like me and like to ride with the door uppers off, the half door is the perfect height for an arm rest; the hard doors are a little uncomfortable in that respect.

-WRM

Last edited:
Good point CJ007, but part of the deal to keep the wife happy was that the new jeep would not be a financial drain. Selling the CJ was the only way to keep the payments that low. Also, she got the good parking spot under cover that the CJ used. Plus, although this Jeep does not have the personality and memories of the old one, they really do serve the same purpose, it really does not make sense with my finances and Limited parking to have 2. Down the line, I may well get another.

@ WRMorrison, I don't see going that big any time soon, just more agressive and slightly wider, the MPG hit should not be too much. Those 1/2 doors are heaven to drive with them off, but a pain in the butt to keep with me, they take up the whole back "storage."

Yeah, they'll take up the entire rear compartment if you carry them with you. I just leave mine in the garage and take the trail cover with me.

-WRM

Thought I might give an update: I've now had the Jeep for several months. I still love the thing, but have run into some other issues. The wet carpet that I thought was A/C turned out to be the top. I've had the Jeep in the shop 4 times for this. We are out of the rainy season now, hoping the last fix will keep. Dealers says the half doors are the problem.

Took the Jeep into some good mud awhile back. Did well despite not having aggressive tread on the tires. When I got home, I spent about 4 hours getting mud out of the seats and floor. I had the half door bottoms on and the front part of the top open, lucky the rest of the top was up, or I would still be cleaning. For the life of me, I don't understand why Jeep did not put a plastic floor (like my sport trac has) and seat material that would repel mud better! Even the cloth cover for the roll bar was a pain in the butt. Man did I miss hosing out the Jeep and drying it with the leaf blower like I used to do with the CJ! A few more trips and I may just give up and rhino line this thing to keep my sanity.

One other thing, I'm sweating the ticking cylinder head that plagues this motor, a casting problem that seems hit and miss with 12 wranglers. Nothing so far, I should know in the next 5k miles or so if I'm lucky or not.

That said, I'm glad I did what I did. I miss the CJ for sure, but I'm loving the wrangler. If you see me, give the Jeep wave, I'm still one of you guys!

I consider myself lucky, have an 08 rubi and a 79 CJ7. The wifey says it is a disease. I have one more on the line, a 71 CJ5.

I still prefer Jeeps over wranglers. Two totally different vehicles. If I was going to buy a new vehicle I'd throw the wrangler into the mix with other small to mid sized 4wd's. Just because Chrysler put the name of a famous vehicle on it wouldn't sway me to them. Wonder if you could order one without the jeep emblems on it? I like the 2 door wranglers looks but not the Hummer looking version. But then I love how the Xterra's look for a 4 door. However, once my build is done I'll have the newest Jeep around! And no computers, relays, or sensors to hold me hostage to the over-priced dealer.

Another update. I now have 7000 miles on the Jeep. Still loving the powerful responsive engine and the way the Jeep also functions as a daily driver, something my topless CJ just wasn't happy doing.

The wet carpet fix finally took with the 4th visit to the dealer, so that is out of the way. It was the header (top of windshield).

The other day, I got caught in a flash rainstorm (something that happens in south florida). One second it is cloudy, but passable, the next second, the rain is going sideways. Incredible. Anyway, before I could get the top up, I had 1/2 an inch of water in the Jeep. Took an hour with the leaf blower, 1/2 a dozen towels, and a shop vac to get it all dried out. Don't let anyone tell you the new Jeeps are ok to get wet, it just is not so.

Around the top of the roll bar, sound bar, etc. are pockets that fill with water, not to mention cloth seats and carpet. I wish the floor was plastic like my sport trac pickup. That and vinal seats.

I have some nice looking neoprene seat covers on order, might help a bit.

Another thing, Chrysler, in their wisdom, put a vacuum pump in the front bumper that needs moving before I can put a new bumper/winch setup on the Jeep, and I have been told that regearing the Jeep (at least the automatic, I have a manual), will put the computer into limp mode. Pretty stupid from a company that knows a large number of it's buyers will modify the vehicle.

Still sweating the ticking engine that could well show up, but right now, the Jeep is so much fun I have a grin from ear to ear everytime I'm behind the wheel.

p.s. caught myself checking out an old Jeep at craigslist. It was a CJ with a Ford v8, looked rough but only 1,300.

Called, but it was already gone. hmmmm, guess I still have the disease.

I rented one in Hawaii in early January. It was an '11 though and O thought the engine was a bit weak. Glad the '12 is better. It felt very reliable and like something I could haul the family around in. Nothing like my CJ8. ;-).

Glad you are enjoying the new Jeep. I just bought a TJ and I am still trying to get used to having a Jeep with a cup holder... ha ha

But seriously I love the older CJ's and not computer controlled simple design but with fuel injection, coil link suspension and a whole host of simple aftermarket mods it is getting harder for me to hold on to the old stuff.

Thought I might drop a picture of the new JK. I have done some mods:

33 x 12.5 procomp xtreme tires. Procomp type 97 wheels 17".
2 inch lift kit, skyjacker.
She sports the rock knob that was in my CJ's.

Attachments

• jj.jpg
    jj.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 193
  • rockknob2.jpg
    rockknob2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 175
19000 miles. A funny noise coming from the engine turned out to be a new water pump and idler pully. And the Jeep was in for the water leak (still). They say they got it this time, we will see.

Not looking forward to the warranty running out, I may even get the lifetime warranty for 2k. I hate to think what it would have cost me to replace those items. I do miss the CJ, I could replace the waterpump by myself for under 100.00 in a couple of hours.

Had to get rid of the steel wheels, too much trouble trying to keep them balanced. Got some new alloys and all is good.

IN the mail is a mirror relocation kit. As funds allow, the front bumper will be next to go.

Still no sign of the infamous tick from the cylinder head...

Attachments

• DSCF8156.jpg
    DSCF8156.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 163
Cylinder head went at 24000 miles. Top still leaks. I pulled out the carpet and put in a form fitting bed liner stuff that is pretty cool.

Bought the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty from Chrysler. It will probably never break down again. But I plan to keep it until I die or they outlaw gas vehicles, whichever comes first, so I figure it's money in the bank. :D

Bought a nice 1967 Chevy c-10 to scratch my "old-car" itch. Could not find a decent CJ in my price range.

Jeep just passed 40k miles. No breakdowns since I bought the lifetime warranty. Did get a recall in the mail, seems my airbag my deploy any time it feels like it. Letter said parts are not in for the fix, don't call us, we'll call you. Wonderful.

Jeep still leaks.

Someone broke into my jeep by cutting the plastic in the half door. No aftermarket availability. Jeep raped me for 460.00 for a new one.

I do still miss the CJ, but the 285hp pentastar engine mated to a six speed is so much fun. I can catch rubber shifting into 2nd, though I've only did it a couple of times to prove the fact.

Had the top down the other day and it started raining. Up went the top. Too bad you can't do that in a CJ. And the a/c is nice when it rains. Rest of the time, the sunrider top is open, and the 1/2 doors are out.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely. The leak is because of poor design of the 1/2 doors, and really, it's the only negative I have now that I have the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty alleviating (mostly) my fears of costly repairs.

I still drool when I see a nice CJ, but work is coming along nicely on my 67 c10 pickup. She is currently down while I'm installing a 350 engine and Muncie 4 speed. :)

keep Jeeping!

So you did end up having to get the head replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you did end up having to get the head replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 24k miles, the check engine light came on and they replaced the head under warranty. Never did hear the tick or experience any symptoms. I guess I was lucky, lots of people have a bunch of problems before getting it fixed.

At 24k miles, the check engine light came on and they replaced the head under warranty. Never did hear the tick or experience any symptoms. I guess I was lucky, lots of people have a bunch of problems before getting it fixed.

That's mostly a 2012 issue isn't it?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom