Build Thread My 84 CJ7

Build Thread My 84 CJ7
The counter weights in a flywheel aren't near the face. They're made that way specifically so the flywheel can wear down and be resurfaced a few times. Doing that won't affect the balance.
Ah, I misunderstood. Carry on sir :D

So I've been deliberating several options over the last month or so. Having to deal with getting my daily driver totaled in a significant but not serious fender bender didn't help. But now I have big pockets to fund getting the project back on track.

I think I'm going to abandon the manual transmission. It's just going to take a lot to make it fit and what I'll have to do will marginalize a couple of key components like the flywheel and bellhousing. I just don't want to risk it.

So I think I'm going to go in a new direction. I'm going to put the SM465/Atlas and AMC bellhousing up for sale. Hopefully someone else can make better use given the more options with flywheels on other AMC engines. (Anyone here interested? PM me for details. Or go to the classifieds where I'm going to post up an ad as soon as I make this post.)

In it's place is going to go an automatic. With the stretched wheelbase in the rear I can get away with running a 700R4 without worrying too much about driveshaft angles. I'm going to get the adapter plate for the 401 to the transmission and a 700R4 to D300 adapter for the rear. Neither kit requires digging into the transmission or t-case. I'm going to just buy an aftermarket 700R4 that's already built up slightly. I should be able to get my hands on a D300 pretty easily one way or another. I may just run it stock at first with plans to upgrade later. Either that or I may replace it with a 4 speed Atlas once they get them back in production.

So that's where the project sits right now. Things should get moving here again in the next couple of weeks.

Well, the plan is starting to move forward again.

I've worked out the details on how I'm going to approach things and I'm making progress. Mostly, I'm ordering parts but I did get to tear down my "new" D300.

Oh yea, and forget about asking to buy the 401. It's destined for the J-10. Though when that happens, I'll have a 360 for sale. :D

Here's a few shots of what will make it into the CJ:

The GM 5.3 V8

5.3.jpg

The 4L60E

4L60E.jpg

The Dana 300

D300.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like fun.:chug:

:notworthy: May I live through your drivetrain vicariously?? :laugh: God I love this site. :cool:

I live vicariously through myself already. But what's one more? Go right ahead. :cool:

New steering knuckles are on, ready for the high steer arms. I haven't gotten the spindles back on but I'll get that tomorrow. Pictures will follow.

Since I need to do some gear swapping in the axle, I decided to hold off on finishing the steering knuckles while the shafts are out. So a plan is being formulated on what exactly I will be doing.

In the mean time, parts for the Dana 300 have started to arrive. I won't have the 4:1 kit but the HD output shaft kits have arrived. :banana:

Got a couple pictures of the knuckles. I'm going to order gears and the locker this week. Also some high steer arms and maybe some spacers.

knuckles.jpg

knuckles_installed.jpg

I can hear it calling to me...

"PUUUUUUUUT...... MEEEEEEE..... IIIIIIINNNNNNNN....."

:D

putmein.jpg
putmein.jpg

I needed the body tub in place to help me locate the engine properly. So that's what I did today...

tubbed.jpg

WOOHOO! making some progress! That looks good in there buddy!

So I was out doing some finish welding on the rear spring hangers while I remembered to do it. As long as I had my grinder out, I decided to see what was under the bubbles in the paint.

Body filler up to 1/2" deep in spots along the front section of the rocker panel. That is, where it's not just rusted straight through. I'm thinking those sections are getting cut out and new metal is going to get welded in.

Ouch! It never ends does it? lol

Ouch! It never ends does it? lol

Nice thing is that I don't have to do great body work. I'm just going to patch it enough to get rid of the rust and toss a coat of paint on it. No sense getting a show quality repair on a rock crawling Jeep.

Got the engine mounts welded in and started more major assembly. It's finally starting to look like a Jeep again! :D

fwprimer.jpg

fwpaint.jpg

engine_in.jpg

grilled.jpg

Got the transmission in. Figured out that with this t-case, I'm going to have to build an entirely different crossmember. :(

I also got a start on laying out the Painless wiring harness, along with a couple of other little things. Nothing really worth taking a picture of.

Got the transmission in. Figured out that with this t-case, I'm going to have to build an entirely different crossmember. :(

The fun never ends.:D Sounds like it's comming together.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks