Kendall Mountain

Kendall Mountain

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
A friend and I decided to check out the jeep trails near Silverton CO. We were hoping to go over BlackBear Pass but it's still closed due to snow. So instead we went up Kendall Mountain.
This first picture is looking across at highway 550 south of Silverton.
35807147035_1bb44f43e4_b.jpg
Kendall Mountain is right next to the town of Silverton.
34966905464_6bb39f3468_b.jpg
35637951202_442e213720_b.jpg
35675204851_915c95dc58_b.jpg
35766487956_6bdaf14c46_b.jpg
35675211341_b566125cf4_b.jpg
35675210831_7e47a2cf01_b.jpg
35675210411_4e5a1062a5_b.jpg
In Kendall Gulch there is a fork to the left. This goes to the top of Kendall Mountain. Now the trail gets narrow.
35418641080_b6c6e11c4a_b.jpg
34997200473_7775430532_b.jpg
This next picture is of Kendall Gulch. We were on the trail below. You can see the fork we took on the left side of this picture.
35637955802_93255a9152_b.jpg
35637955362_25c17ce5ba_b.jpg
35766482436_d9b6453c4d_b.jpg
Near the top we were stopped by a snowfield. I parked my jeep at a ledge.
34966908744_45784bf9bc_b.jpg
35766485286_032b6801b1_b.jpg
We took a short hike to the top of a minor summit on Kendall Mt.
From here you can see the snowfield that stopped us just before the end of the trail.
35636255732_26987a82b3_b.jpg
You can see the mountain peak in the upper right of the previous picture.
It's a gorgeous view from up here. THis next picture is looking back at Highway 550 going over Molas Pass just south of Silverton. The lake is Molas Lake.
35637952662_07b2aef26e_b.jpg
34966907124_8aea75a6ea_b.jpg
34966906344_66526ceed9_b.jpg
From the top I took this panorama. It's interactive so you can use your mouse to pan and look around.
Kendall Mt Panorama
For anyone that is interested in taking this trail, go through downtown Silverton. Turn right at 14th Street. This will take you on a bridge over the Animas River. Turn right after crossing the bridge. Now just follow the trail up the mountain. There are only 2 forks on this trail to worry about. After a relatively steep section with switchbacks you will get to the first fork. Keep left here. If you were to turn right you would go into Deer Park. The next fork is after you are in Kendall Gulch. In Kendall Gulch it looks like a dead end. You won't see the fork going to the left until you are upon it. After you turn left here the trail gets narrow and climbs right to the top of Kendall Mountain.
As I said earlier, I didn't make it to the end of the trail due to snow. If I were to make it around that last bend I would have had a great view down on the town of Silverton. Here's a picture I took a couple years ago:
35773446556_77106c34c3_b.jpg

Thanks for sharing, and keeping us up to date on the status of the trails we have planned for our upcoming trip.

We would love to go up Kendall Mountain sometime when we have a small group, since you have told us there is not much room for a larger group to turn around. Thanks again. :chug:

Thanks for throwing in the GPS route map. That really help show where you went :notworthy:

Thank you much for the time and effort to post this trip report!
:chug:
LG

I see the South and North gates on Poughkeepies are still closed as of yesterday.

I'm guessing it will be a very photogenic trip. Wildflowers could still be in full swing during the trail ride.

Re: Kendall Mountains

I'm guessing it will be a very photogenic trip. Wildflowers could still be in full swing during the trail ride.

The bears might have just come out of hibernation and famished :)

I see the South and North gates on Poughkeepies are still closed as of yesterday.

They never plow or bulldoze Poughkeepsie Gulch. It usually melts by now but we've had far more snow in the mountains than usual. I think (hope) it will be clear before our trail ride.
It's Lower Engineer Pass trail (also called Mineral Creek trail) that I've been worried about. It has had a bad rock slide that has blocked the trail. I heard it may be cleared by now but I will verify. That is important because we are staying in Ouray.

It's Lower Engineer Pass trail (also called Mineral Creek trail) that I've been worried about. It has had a bad rock slide that has blocked the trail. I heard it may be cleared by now but I will verify. That is important because we are staying in Ouray.
The rock slide has been cleared as of last Sunday.

Rocks?? We just drive over those... ;)

:chug:

I don't know where he gets it, but you can get it from Switzerland of America's website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know where he gets it, but you can get it from Switzerland of America's website

But that site doesn't have the details that Posi posted. I also use the following sites:

Bushducks - Jeep Trail and Backroads Trip Reports<br>Colorado Jeep Trails and Passes - Opening Dates

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/...0000000000000&ttype=detail&cid=fsbdev3_002300

http://www.sanmiguelcounty.org/406/Road-Conditions

Even the Forestry Service web site still says:
Engineer Pass - Lower end CLOSED by Rockslide between Hwy 550 and Mineral Point

It doesn't have the detail unless you check it every day and then you would know when they change it.

I have no idea where he checks it, but I know those guys are out there on tours seven days a week so I would hope that it had some level of accuracy.

Late reply, I'm in Texas at moment.

First, I wouldn't trust the Forestry Service to be up to date. Plus, a ranger said the South Gate on Poughkeepsie was open and the trail was cleared to the wall, fact was it was closed.

Dave, I got my info from Bushducks. The info I mentioned is located on the trail list.

Also, according to the rules of the Southwest CO Trails Association I believe my previous posts qualifies me for my "locals card". :)

Late reply, I'm in Texas at moment.

First, I wouldn't trust the Forestry Service to be up to date. Plus, a ranger said the South Gate on Poughkeepsie was open and the trail was cleared to the wall, fact was it was closed.

Dave, I got my info from Bushducks. The info I mentioned is located on the trail list.

Also, according to the rules of the Southwest CO Trails Association I believe my previous posts qualifies me for my "locals card". :)

Thanks Posi!

Interesting info on Lower Engineer...says it's "getting rougher requiring a rear traction aid in places".

That's a good thing!

:)

I use Bushducks all the time but I didn't notice the posts about Engineer Pass and Poughkeepsie gulch. As a matter of fact the latest post on BushDucks about Kendall Mountain and the June 10th post about Stony_Pass are mine.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$210.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks