Build Thread Custom Jeep CJ Truck Build

Build Thread Custom Jeep CJ Truck Build
Does that mean if one of us sees a postal Jeep just sittin around you'd like us to liberate the tailgate for ya??? LOL. I'm kidding.......

Of course...it doesn't really belong on those :censored: vehicles anyway! Right? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I need to check the junk yards around San Antonio. I can't imagine not finding at least one! :p

But if worse comes to worse, I'll use a regular CJ tailgate emblem. When it is all said and done the bed will be the size of the truck beds found behind most modern 1/2 ton crew cab trucks. Just under 6 feet. That along with my trailer should haul anything I need. :grinjeep:

When it is all said and done the bed will be the size of the truck beds found behind most modern 1/2 ton crew cab trucks. Just under 6 feet. That along with my trailer should haul anything I need. :grinjeep:

So when you're wheeling you'll be the only guy on the trail with a spare engine, transmision, xfer case and a kitchen sink? :)

-Jon

So when you're wheeling you'll be the only guy on the trail with a spare engine, transmision, xfer case and a kitchen sink? :)

-Jon

Yep, that would be the Boy Scout in me! :D Actually, it will hopefully be camping gear. I love to go camping, :drool: but getting down on the ground is out of the question these days. ;) So, my plans are to build a small slide in camper for the trailer and use the back of the pickup for everything else. I don't want another trailer or I'd buy a Run Away. So I will build one like it to slide into my existing trailer. All I need is a place to sleep up off the ground, something that I don't have to setup, and a place to get in out of bad weather. Then I can :booze: and :wasted: , if I want. :laugh:

I just wanted to chime in and say how fantastic of an idea this is. Well done so far PB! I loved reading these previous 7 pages. Keeping me entertained while in Africa!

I just wanted to chime in and say how fantastic of an idea this is. Well done so far PB! I loved reading these previous 7 pages. Keeping me entertained while in Africa!

I'm really glad you are enjoying it. Stay safe over there and hopefully you'll be coming home soon. I was deployed to Bosnia away from my family a few years back. It was not easy, but worth it. When you get back, you'll only be about 3 hours away, good possibility you'll see it in person when I'm done.

Had a chance to get back to work on the truck bed today. I cut out the place for the driver's side fender and tack welded the fender in place. Passenger's side is all done with the exception of some grinding still.

WP_20160806_002_zpsyspujcme.jpg

Once I get the fender all welded in, I'll flip it over and address the rust issue on the bottom. then it will be time to paint!

Looking good PB. I really enjoy seeing it come to life. Can't wait to see it on the Cj. :chug:

Me too! :D I kind of feel like I'm going about this backwards. The bed should most likely have been last, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get it. :D Once I had the bed in the garage, I naturally wanted to work on it. :drool: At least this way I'll have the exact measurement needed to lengthen the frame. :rolleyes:

What will be interesting is the bed design everybody else comes up with. :chug: I really wasn't expecting the difficulty I ran into to recess the fenders into the bed. :bang: It is more difficult than it looks. Making the bed the width of the frame rails and adding the fenders to the outside would have been much easier. I just don't think I would have liked the bed size compared to what I have now.

Hang in there - the best way usually isn't the easy way. You will be glad you did the bed this way once your done. Looks most impressive from my house

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hang in there - the best way usually isn't the easy way. You will be glad you did the bed this way once your done. Looks most impressive from my house

Thanks. I wasn't sure when I started, but after looking at it yesterday it is definitely the look I was going for. :D Keeping the original dimensions of the bed will make it very versatile for hauling my junk around. ;)

nice build so far, been looking at your fenders and was like they remind me of something......:chug:
Jeep%20M%20715_zpslownmwq2.jpg

Nice looking Jeep. That looks like a military trailer that was converted into a bed. Something I thought about till I found my old Chevy stepside bed for $150.

I really wish I could weld so I could do cool stuff like this lol

I'm not a welder by any means. :( I've gotten better over the years, but there are lots of people that can put me to shame. :notworthy: I bought a small hobby welder and dug in. It really just takes lots of practice and a little know how. You can get the know how these days from the internet, I took a class back in college, long time ago. ;) So just jump in there and give it ago, you'll be happy you did. :D

Got a package in the mail today. :) My tail lights came in. Since it was raining all day, I decided to hook them up to my power supply and see what they looked like. :rolleyes: When I opened the boxes they were a little larger that I wanted but I wasn't happy with the more common round self-contained lights being fairly small. :( These are called Hamburger led lights. :drool: Had to get LED's. I love LED's. :banana: Did I mention how much I really like LED lights? ;) So I hooked them up to my power supply to see what they looked like. Here are some pictures and a video. I think they will help make this a one of a kind custom CJ truck.

Stop and Tail Light:
WP_20160820_007_zps3gfiwa1p.jpg

Stop, Tail Light, and Turn Signal:
WP_20160820_003_zpsdhuxaal5.jpg

Center is yellow for the turn signal, thus the reason they are called hamburger lights.

Temporarily Mounted:
WP_20160820_010_zpsv1tierli.jpg

What they look like on:
th_WP_20160820_017_zpsii8n3nd8.png

Man We had several years of crippling drought and now 2 straight weeks of rain :0 I like those tai lights and love some LEDs as well

PB - I gotta ask..... In the following photo, what is the material arrowed?

image_zpsjsitzm0h.png

Ya know, I think I've seen that here....... Looks vaguely familiar. WAIT A SECOND - is that the top of a work bench????? YES!! I knew I had seen that somewhere before....... I have one here that hasn't seen the light of day in who knows how long LOL LOL.

Seriously, those are cool lights. I have a set of LED's for mine, but they are in OEM style housings. I'm anxious to see you get their housings done and remounted....... Don't be sittin here readin this, go, man, GO!!!

PB - I gotta ask..... In the following photo, what is the material arrowed?

image_zpsjsitzm0h.png

Ya know, I think I've seen that here....... Looks vaguely familiar. WAIT A SECOND - is that the top of a work bench????? YES!! I knew I had seen that somewhere before....... I have one here that hasn't seen the light of day in who knows how long LOL LOL.

Yep, that's my bench top. :) That silver thing is my Transfer Case I just rebuilt and have no place to put. So there goes most of my space for awhile. :eek: Here is what it looked liked before I started my project:

WP_20151018_001_zps749gh0om.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks