Build Thread Custom Jeep CJ Truck Build

Build Thread Custom Jeep CJ Truck Build
Peanut Butter I miss reading your build thread I hope you are able to get back to it soon

Thanks, Gert. Health issues have gotten in the way. My neck is basically totaled. The surgeons will not touch it, so I've been getting steroid injections where they run a catheter up my spine to inject the meds. This is helping, but next time (couple months) they are going to burn the nerves near my spine. That should give me some relief. I'm itching to get back to work on the Jeep. I hate seeing it sit and not being used. I have been watching yours, Shum, and a couple of other builds. Helps me keep interest. Rod

Thanks, Gert. Health issues have gotten in the way. My neck is basically totaled. The surgeons will not touch it, so I've been getting steroid injections where they run a catheter up my spine to inject the meds. This is helping, but next time (couple months) they are going to burn the nerves near my spine. That should give me some relief. I'm itching to get back to work on the Jeep. I hate seeing it sit and not being used. I have been watching yours, Shum, and a couple of other builds. Helps me keep interest. Rod

Very sorry to hear that you are having health problems Peanut butter I hope you get better soon look forward to you being able to get back after it

Does a neck brace give any relief?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I hate to hear you’re still having next trouble, but glad you have a plan!! Looking forward to your project resumption - it’s gonna be awsome!!

Sent telepathetically using Tapatalk

I literally feel your pain, man. I get my nerves fried in my lower back about once a year to keep me going. Injections helped, but they eventually wear away the cartilage, making things worse in the long-run. The idea is awful and I freaking hate needles, but it's totally worth it. Good luck!

After a couple of years layoff, I'm back to working on my CJ. Health, moves, life really got in the way. Things are much better now. Got off all the drugs the VA had me on, feel really good again, even went back through the police academy. Beat four 20 year old's on my 1 1/2 mile run and I have two artificial knees! Don't ever let anybody tell you that your too old to do anything. At 64 I've never felt better!

Glad to hear the good news PB !

Put a new rear cross member on that I ordered from M.O.R.E. It is a nice heavy duty piece.
IMG_20200818_170523.jpg
Added some new shackle hangers to it front and back. Welded the top of the cross member to the frame.
IMG_20200901_180557.jpg
IMG_20200901_180606.jpg

A few years back I bought a spare TH400 and Quadratrac Tansfer Case. The TH400 had an AMC case. The one in my CJ is a Cadillac TH400 with an engine adapter. Here is a write up that I did on the TH400 in my Jeep: TH400 Technical Information . Plans were to always rebuild it for a spare, maybe swap it out and rebuild the other one. That way I would have a lot of engine choices down the road. So I started on the rebuild. First the tear down of the transmission.
IMG_20200822_160040.jpg
IMG_20200822_160043.jpg
IMG_20200822_160046.jpg
All the parts are in ice cream buckets in the order they came out. I also cleaned up the case and painted it.
IMG_20200822_160150.jpg
IMG_20200826_180231.jpg
IMG_20200826_180224.jpg
I used some of Eastwood's Engine Paint. It is a two part urethane paint with a hardener.
IMG_20200828_141353.jpg
Here I took some of the components of the Transmission apart to be able to rebuild them. I'm still working on the valve body, but will post more pictures as I continue to put the transmission back together.

PG it is so great to see you again! :chug:

Your CJ is looking great and I'm glad to see you working on it again.

I understand about the knees, I have severe RA and know what you ent through.

You Rock!! :punk:

Worked on my shackles and shackle hangers. The original were very worn and rusty. I bought a set of heavy duty shackles, so I thought I would replace the hangers too. When I attached the rear cross member that left a space for the forward most bolt on the rear shackle hangers. You can see in this photo:
IMG_20200905_100123.jpg
I tried a couple of big washers first, but didn't like the fact that where a lot of the stress would be, there was still some daylight. So I grabbed the old shackle hangers and cut the bolt hole area from them. I then used this as a spacer. I the next picture you can see that it filled most of the gap nicely
IMG_20200905_113907.jpg
I then put the new shackles on. These are Warrior Products shackles. The first set I used, I didn't like the length, so I bought a second set that you see here.
IMG_20200905_113935.jpg
IMG_20200905_100007.jpg

I bought a set of bushing, bearing, seal drivers from Amazon last week. I had a set of aluminum ones, but there were only 6 in the set. Theses are steel, and they are in increments of 1 mm. This will work out nicely for my automatic transmission rebuild.
IMG_20200901_180640.jpg

PB I had a little fitment problem with my hanger also with the bumper. I cut a little out of the bumper to get it right. Looks like yours might sit back a little more.image.jpeg

Belizean, after looking at your picture, I went back to some original photos I had of my Jeep ('79 CJ7). My shackle hanger has the bushing facing towards the front. Yours faces towards the rear. Interesting, to say the least.
shackle.jpg

:wtf:

In hopes of muddying the waters red the rear spring hanger discussion, here’s a pic of mine........ its orientation appears to be similar to PB’s........

bae9024253beff1c9e4f5dd56e99ae61.jpg

Sent from right here.......

Maybe I'm just muddy. Didn't realize we were talking the back That picture was the front passenger side looking in. This is on the back passenger side looking inward. My shackle is only slanting back slightly. Shum are those original hangers ?image.jpeg

Yep - My hangers are original......

You might want to inspect them really well. 2 or 3 of mine were cracked. Brittle metal I assumed at the time

They looked ok during the swapover - but would hurt to check em again

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks