Clutch Install Problems

Clutch Install Problems
Spring and throw out are not right.
Review the web link I gave you and compare the photos there to yours.
You'll see it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

For sure it's the fork spring it's jambed up behind the fork caught on the bell housing. Plain as day.
Add to that the throwout is not seated in the fork. It's stacked on top of it driving it way forward into the spring plate. No wonder it's screaming.

Pull it.
Reinstall the throwout slipping the fork into the throwout groove.
Flip the spring so it rides inside the bell housing opening.

Likely your still ok.

But DO NOT run it like this.
It will DESTROY itself and take the plate and clutch with it for sure. Maybe worse.

Last edited:
Thank you! I do see the difference. I'll add a photo of the fork spring that came with the kit and the one that was original. I think it explains why I couldn't get it to line up like the website you told me to look at. I had to twist the spring to make it work, which binded up the fork...

Picture is also on the dropbox I shared

Attachments

• IMG_5521.jpg
    IMG_5521.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 57
The close up photo is correct.
Notice how tight the spring coil is.
Not stretched at all really.
60e1a12a5d7a615471d584403bc77324.jpg7de44e1e27ffb547f508d72fbf1f7ab6.jpg

Noticed on your photo (red grease) that the fork proud of the throw out.
The second photo shows what I am used to seeing.
Could be a throw out bearing different than what I'm used to.
But look at the thickness of the throw out in the third photo and compare to yours. It looks like yours is much thicker moving the contact surface on to the spring plate and likely why you had resistance fitting it up.07291b7fe2f60138379f61500deeb4ed.jpgead8024e6762e424ef88e81b8460254a.jpg2753155ea810c99e494bc1feb216416f.jpg

Somethings not right about that throw out in my mind.

Should look similar to the one on the left or right. See how much collar there is that should be sitting between your fork?cd2e2ed3a175e278a22976215f8402b4.jpg

This is the spring I believe.77047f8a61da2129120113f5ec279c55.jpg

I have the new spring on the way. OMIX 16919.01 Clutch Linkage Kit spring is definitely different from the stock. The Crown auto spring is what I have ordered, which appears identical to stock.

As far as throw out bearing I need to look at that closer and compare.

The photo I posted does make it appear to be below the fork, but thats a deceiving photo. It actually is up into the fork more, just the angle of photo makes it look flush or even lower than the fork. If that makes sense..

Once I get the proper spring, I will put it back on the clutch plate and check for a gap between the bearing and fingers of the cover.

Now that I've taken it apart twice I'm tempted to pull the trigger and have the trans rebuilt and transfer case haha. I don't want to do this again anytime soon.

Nice. Good Plan.
Yeah, the photo made it tough to tell for sure but now you know what to look for anyway.
Can't help on that transmission. I've only done T5 and AX15. But your logic is sound. Solid drivetrain you trust is a good goal.
The D300 T-case I have done a few times. (Master kits sometimes come with extra roller bearings. Count them and bag them with the # written on the bag. Check the kits parts list. Often the two or three extras they throw in are not on thier parts list. Nothing like ripping out a freshly rebuilt Tcase because you find extra brand new rollers on cleanup and your not quite sure if you missed one.....Stop laughing at me....it was late when I finished up.....Wich turned into another few hours!)

How much free travel do you have in the clutch pedal?
You want 1" to 1 1/4". No more or less.
Avoid Omix Alda products at all cost. China junk with very poor QC.
Gary

I have the bellhousings and linkage all in place. Would it be unwise to start it without the transmission installed? Just to see if it has that bad sound like before? I’d rather not install the transmission because I’m pretty sure I want to have it rebuilt , and I’d have to drop it again...

As a side note the clutch feels much lighter and has the free play as described in earlier messages by you guys. So I’m optimistic.

Without the tranny? I wouldn't! No.
Shaft centering the clutch is on the tranny. When your flywheel turns, even thought the clutch is pressed by the spring plate, there is nothing holding it centred. It will want to move around. Bad, bad , bad.
At least that's what I think.

Ya I was thinking that would happen to. I’m just anxious to try it out. I’ll be patient and wait

If anyone is interested in an update.

I got the t18 trans and Dana 20 rebuilt professionally. Cost me a lot more than quoted because many of the gears/parts had pretty large amount of rust and pitting. Mechanic suspects the trans must have sit for a long time without oil in it for part of it life.

So, the new clutch, last time i installed it, it was making a terrible sound. Thanks to some comments from you guys we determined that the spring that came with the Omix Ada bellcrank rebuild kit was plain old wrong. The shape of the spring was way off and hindered the movement of the bearing.

So I ordered a factory correct spring from another company, I think Crown.

So after all this and having the parts rebuilt, I'm happy to say she is up and running great again. I also installed a JB Custom twin stick onto the transfer case which just adds a little something extra.

Thanks for all the help, I probably would not have figured out the spring issue without the members here.

Crown and Omix are China junk.
Gary

If anyone is interested in an update.

I got the t18 trans and Dana 20 rebuilt professionally. Cost me a lot more than quoted because many of the gears/parts had pretty large amount of rust and pitting. Mechanic suspects the trans must have sit for a long time without oil in it for part of it life.

So, the new clutch, last time i installed it, it was making a terrible sound. Thanks to some comments from you guys we determined that the spring that came with the Omix Ada bellcrank rebuild kit was plain old wrong. The shape of the spring was way off and hindered the movement of the bearing.

So I ordered a factory correct spring from another company, I think Crown.

So after all this and having the parts rebuilt, I'm happy to say she is up and running great again. I also installed a JB Custom twin stick onto the transfer case which just adds a little something extra.

Thanks for all the help, I probably would not have figured out the spring issue without the members here.
That's excellent! Another Jeep back on the trail. Happy to help. Glad you worked it out. Your photos made it easier to see the problem. Happy Jeepin!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks