Build Thread Cj8 build from parts

Build Thread Cj8 build from parts
Wow -- nice work! I'll be watching to see what you do with your exhaust. One of these months, I'll be reworking the exhaust on mine, building new headers to run inside the frame and figuring out what I'll do from there. I was thinking the same thing as what you are with 2 1/2" into 3".

Thanks for the words of encourgement. Still between jobs following my retirement from the Marine Corps this summer so I have lots of time to wrench.

Clutch in and trans/transfercase installed today with the help of my daughters. Maybe get around to the fuel lines tomorrow. Headers should be done tomorrow hopefully - will install and get busy on the exhaust system over the weekend before the body shows up and the chassis work becomes more difficult. Small parts painting also on agenda.

Never had this happen before today - while installing clutch pressure plate, the crank rotated to a point then came to a stop as a result of some type of physical interference. Had me completely worried as to what the hell I did wrong but at the same time, didn't make sense because I had turned the crank over a few rotations after I had installed the heads and valvetrain. Come to find out, one of the lower water pump bolt bosses comes in contact with the harmonic balancer. Not sure yet if I'm going to take the water pump off and grind the boss down to clear or take the damn water pump back to Advance Auto and then find/pay a little extra for a "good one" that will fit like it is supposed to. Damn Chinese :dung:!

This is a great read. Thanks for sharing it. I have had my share of cheepo chain store :dung: parts too. Quality control is job three these days.

Spent the day in the driveway/garage working on small but necessary parts of the Jeep. Made a set of greasable rear lower shock mounts that I welded onto the XJ spring plate. Came out nice and shouldn't bend/break. Also cut off the bent and rusted rear spring perches and welded in a new pair...was waiting to replace the perches and set the rear yoke/pinion angle until the trans/t-case and modified skidplate were all done and securely mounted. Also painted rear drums while the rear tires were off and the rattle can was out. If you haven't figured out from my pictures, I am a fan of Rustoelum Gloss Black - easy to touch up and you can get it anywhere.

I did make some calls today concerning the shipment of my Scrambler tub and machining of the header flanges - swing and a miss on both. Tub wasn't shipped yet because Willys Overland is waiting on the reciept of two addition parts that I ordered to include them in the crate. As to the headers, the machine shop just didn't get around to machining the flanges yet. Was supposed to pick them up this past Wednesday but they are now telling me that they will likely be done by next Friday. What :dung: is that.

Still need to work on fuel lines and can now rehab, cut, and lengthen the CJ7 driveshaft to CJ8 dimensions now that trans/t-case and rear axle locations are set. Need to refurbish and paint other little stuff like the clutch linkage and maybe fab up a steering column upper mount. Call me cheap but I can't see paying $80 for the Flaming River billet mount that is going to be hidden up under the dash. Also need to pull the pedal assembly from the donor and clean/paint...the list goes on and on!

Included pictures of the Jeep after I put the tools away and cleaned up my workspace at the end of the day today. More to follow.

Looking very nice bud!

I'm :drool: over the 304 build... I'd like to rip min apart and re-do it completely... one of these days... :cool:

:chug:
~ Jr
Only thing I'd like to do but didn't have the $$ for are screw in rocker arm studs and roller rockers to compliment the big(ger) cam. Maybe I'll do it down the road and mill the head for higher CR also. Regardless, it should run well.

I like the Rustoleum, too. I've been using it to an extreme with the work that I'm doing...but it's not much of anything compared to what you've got going on here.

I had a machine shop do the same thing with my cylinder heads when they were making a repair on something that they screwed up...I didn't find out about the screw up until I went to install the heads, installed the engine, plumbed everything up, filled all the fluids, and tried to fire it the first time. Man, was I P***ED... When they went to repair it, they told me it would take a week. So I show up in the shop a week later, and the heads hadn't even moved from the spot I put them in. :censored:

Congratulations on your retirement. I only served 7 1/2 years with the Marine Corps. I really wish now that I stayed in, and have been trying like hell to go back. Thanks to our CIC, I can't. I keep calling PSR's, but I'm getting nowhere. I guess I should give up on it, but I miss it more than anything.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. As always, great looking work! :chug:

Slow day, waiting on parts. Busted rust, refurbished, and painted clutch linkage parts from one of the donors, painted the Flaming River steering shaft, and thought alot about the exhaust system. Also ground down the bosses on that Chinese waterpump to clear the harmonic balancer and did some other odds and ends.

Ordered a :dung:-load of front end parts for my other daughters '00 WJ. Have been chasing the death wobble, most recently replaced all the rod ends and tightened the steering box but the wobble remains. I'm at wits end, been working on the wobble for over 6 months without a fix. So far I've replaced the track bar, replaced tie rod and drag link ends, tighten the steering box, replced the steering damper, adjusted toe to + 1/32", installed new lower control arms, and new tires all around. WJ is lifted 2". Have new ball joints, unit bearings, CV boots, upper control arm bushings, and larger rear sway bar coming this week followed by a trip to the alignment shop. Anything that I've missed or recommendations?

My work never seems to end.

Still waiting for headers from the machine shop but the steel tub from Willys-Overland arrived yesterday. Picked it up from the local shipping company loading dock. Haven't pulled it out of the crate yet although peeking in it looks good - but I now have more work to do. More pictures of fabricated tailpipe and steel tub today.

Thats better than Christmas right there!! :D
Still waiting for headers from the machine shop but the steel tub from Willys-Overland arrived yesterday. Picked it up from the local shipping company loading dock. Haven't pulled it out of the crate yet although peeking in it looks good - but I now have more work to do. More pictures of fabricated tailpipe and steel tub today.

Neighbors came out tonight to help get the Scrambler body out of the crate and onto the frame. Just sitting on there now for the test fit. Will look at it more closely in daylight tomorrow - already see that I need to open up the shifter tunnel hole about 5/8" to make room for the t-case shifter in order to center up the body on the frame.

Got the lengthened CJ5 rear driveshaft back today with a less than 24 hour turnaround. Thanks Spring Menders of Norfolk. Hopefully I'll get those headers back from the machine shop soon, been almost 3 weeks.

I've collected most of the parts necessary to get the Scrambler on the road, just need to fit, paint, and put it all together. Titling/registering it Friday.

Headers picked up this morning from the machinist, had them angle cut the header flange 1/8" to pull the collector in toward the block and away from the reversed shackle and wider YJ springs. I now have a little clearance (1/4") through the shackle range of motion and not too close to the starter. I'm sure there will be some situations where it will rub but it won't be typical. I can finally complete the rest of the exhaust system and be done with all the chassis work. Headers are Hedman Elites from Summit.

Been working and making progress on the Scrambler this week, fab'd a steering column mount for my new Flaming River column from stock column parts. I cut up the stock column and used the outer shell and internal plastic shim around the new column and held it together with set screws. Picture below. Also broke down the pedal assembly to strip and paint and mocked up the steering column and steering shaft. Seats aso came into last Friday - a pair of Corbeau Baja Jeep seats. Got the passsenger seat in, waiting for the drivers side sliding mechanism to mount drivers side seat. They look good and feel a lot better than the plastic Jazz racing buckets that are in my CJ5. Finally, mounted a grill and hood and began mocking up and building a set of tube fenders. Got the tub and grill mounting plates in place and bent up one tube tonight. Using 1 3/4" tubing because thats what I had around from building rollbars/cages (and it's the only die that I have for my bender. Most tube fenders I've seen are 1 1/2". Hope to get the main tubes bent, cut to length/fitted and tacked to the mounting plates tomorrow. In all, getting the grill and hood on really improved morale in my garage today. Photos of progress.

Ty

More pictures.

Re: CJ8 build from junk parts

Worked on fabbing tube fenders last night and today. Used 1 3/4" tube for the main bar and intend sheetmetal to close it all up. Tube is tacked in place between the tub and grill and I mocked up the sheetmetal on the passenger side with fresh cardboard (had some parts come today :)). Must say that the mock up looks great, fully enclosed the wheelwell and gives room for battery in stock location, steering shaft, power brake booster and master cylinder. I need to get some sheetmetal to bend up, not sure how heavy to go. Was thinking 12 gauge on the tops of the fenders and outer skins and 18 gauge for wheelwells. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Worked on Corbeau seats a little also, they sit too high and lean too far back for my liking. Plan to cut the stock drivers side bracket down to straighten up the seat back and lower the front of the seat. Will try to do the same with the passenger side pivoting bracket but obviously more difficult. In the meantime, have a second set of drivers side that I might cut down and use on the passenger side for the time being. More to follow on that.

Pictures of fender mock up below.

More photos of fender mock up.

Thanks for the pics. This is going to be a big help when I tackle my fenders. I have to kick mine inward cause my tub will be boatsided but I like your design.

I need to get some sheetmetal to bend up, not sure how heavy to go. Was thinking 12 gauge on the tops of the fenders and outer skins and 18 gauge for wheelwells. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Anyone have some experience or opinion on sheetmetal thickness to use on the fenders?

Thanks,
Ty

Anyone have some experience or opinion on sheetmetal thickness to use on the fenders?

Buddy picked me up some sheetmetal today. Got 1/8" for fender top and outer skin, 16 ga for inner fenderwells. 16 ga might be too heavy though, maybe 22 ga would be more appropriate. I don't know.

Buddy picked me up some sheetmetal today. Got 1/8" for fender top and outer skin, 16 ga for inner fenderwells. 16 ga might be too heavy though, maybe 22 ga would be more appropriate. I don't know.

Let us know how that works out... I am curious myself for the future... :cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks