Engine Cj5 HELP!!!

Engine Cj5 HELP!!!

Cjfiverr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 cj5 258
Hey Guys new here!! I’ve got an 83 CJ5 that gets extremely hot but doesn’t really overheat. So far all components of the cooling system have been changed including a 3 core radiator with 2 electric fans.
Currently it seems like there is zero flow in the radiator. Changed thermostat twice with no avail
Hoping someone has had a similar issue.
Only thing not replaced is heater core. Located in Florida was just going to bypass at some point

Engine Cj5 HELP!!!
This would cause no coolant to flow?

Absolutely. An air pocket in the coolant loop will stop coolant flow.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Okay, those 2 are kind of dipsticks... but it's got good info in the video.

I’ll get her back together in the morning with the same pump burp it an see what happens!!
Did you by chance replace the upper and lower radiator hoses? A soft hose will collapse and restrict flow. Also I had to install a bypass in my heater hoses on a different jeep. Can't explain why but it fixed it, maybe created some sort of vacuum. All I did was cut both hoses and installed a T to let flow by pass the heater.

I did change both hoses. Replaced the water pump again, as well as burped the system and still overheats. Mine seems to have fluid circulation through the heater but I might bypass anyway. Only other thing I can think of is taking out the new electric fans and going to a fixed fan again. Not sure how it will help being that on the highway outside air should keep it cool along with the electric fans and it doesn’t. At this point I’m stumped

Did you get this figured out?

Something that came to mind, and I'm not trying to insult your intelligence when I ask this, did you put the thermostat in the correct way? It'll fit both ways.

I had an issue on mine where the lower rad hose was collapsing at higher RPMs - basically the suction of the water pump when spinning faster was collapsing the hose. Got a spring and installed it to prevent the collapsing and no more problem. Only way I discovered it was laying under the Jeep with my wife revving the engine for me. At about 1,800 RPM could see the hose collapsing. At around 2,000 or so RPM it was fully flattened. Got the spring from Amazon made for this purpose.

I'm running a dual electric fan made for a Ford Contour (and other engines) that fits the CJ rad perfectly. I originally had a generic single fan from Amazon that couldn't keep up at lower speeds. This Contour fan also has a resistor block in it to allow dual speeds so the full amp draw of two fans doesn't hit the alternator all at once. I have two relays controlled by my ECU, one feeding through the resistor block and one straight through, that kick in at different temps. I also drilled some 2" holes in the shroud attached with the fans and installed some rubber "flappers" so that at lower speed the holes are covered and the fans can't draw air through the holes, but at higher speeds, air can just flow right through with little/no restriction.

Mine came from the factory with the spring.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks