Engine Cj5 HELP!!!

Engine Cj5 HELP!!!

Cjfiverr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 cj5 258
Hey Guys new here!! I’ve got an 83 CJ5 that gets extremely hot but doesn’t really overheat. So far all components of the cooling system have been changed including a 3 core radiator with 2 electric fans.
Currently it seems like there is zero flow in the radiator. Changed thermostat twice with no avail
Hoping someone has had a similar issue.
Only thing not replaced is heater core. Located in Florida was just going to bypass at some point

Could be the water pump. They come both directions of flow I believe.

Search here on the forum. It’s been discussed. Google can get you a lot of information about it also

I just did a search here. Reverse water pump. And several threads came up

As far as I know the AMC v8 never had a factory reverse serp. water pump or factory serp. belt. My serp. kit uses the standard pump.
The only true way to tell is look at the impeller, but that requires removing the pump.
Are you sure about the temp?
Try taking off the rad. cap, get the engine up to temp, pull the top hose from the rad., start and then check flow.
You can also do the above without the thermostat.

Shows he has a 258 18FAC3DE-248C-42D7-A956-366D4B790645.png

Jeep is a 6 cylinder. Problem is the water pump was already replaced so that won’t tell me wether I need a reverse or standard pump. The original pump is long gone unfortunately.

With the radiator cap off idled for over 30 minutes temp gauge spikes to hot no coolant movement inside radiator at all

From what I’ve read on google my engine should be a standard pump which is what was purchased from the auto part store so unless wrong part was given I’m out of ideas

Well you have eliminated that probably

Which water pump do you have, the top one, or the bottom one?

Top one works with separate belt set-up, and the bottom one is the reverse flow that works with serpentine belt. They're completely interchangeable too, gasket lines up, bolt holes, everything.

20210725_103132.jpg

The other thing I can think of is that you're getting air trapped in the system. Have you removed the water temp sensor on the back of the block by the firewall to "burp" the air out with it running?

I have the one in the top photo. Other issue I have is I know the motor is a 258 but looks to have been replaced at some point in time or rebuilt so I’m going based off it actually being an 83 motor

Yes, that should work. You just need to find the "highest" point of the cooling system to get the air pockets out. I've almost always had to "burp" mine after draining the coolant and refilling it. Something about the design of the coolant passages that allows air pockets to form.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Found this video, this guy says there's 2, one on the thermostat, and there is one on the back of the block by the firewall as well. That is the one I would preferably take out to get the air out of the system.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom