best and worst non Jeep off road vehicles you have owned?

best and worst non Jeep off road vehicles you have owned?
Suzuki Samurai Tin Top FTMFW!!!

I had two Suzuki samurais. everything was held together with locktight I hated working on them. I had to buy an impact driver and every 4 bolts I unscrewed 1 would break of in the samurai. and a couple times I just had to grind the heads of bolts off to get the part off.
they are good for off road but aggravating to own and will never even look at another.

Jeeps are great off road, parts are readily available, you can never stop upgrading or accessorizing and they are easy to work on. Jeeps are the best.

Also samurais are either stock or sprung over with 33s. I have never seen two jeeps the same. Jeeps are like a mans fingerprint.

I had a stock Nissan Pathfinder that would go just about anywhere (given the stockishness of course)

So this is the "best" non-jeep I have owned, and also the worst since other then my CJ's, it is the only other offroad vehicle I have owned. :wtf:

Okay so besides my cj the best off road vehicle I have ever owned was the later of my two 1991 Montero LS. This thing was so much fun and for being a completely stock vehicle that I bought for $500 it was brilliant.
753c72b333b2__1179083636000.jpg
b8bcd4af8e7a__1179871717000.jpg

The best, with the exception of rock crawling, was my '74 Pinzgauer. You Colorado guys probably recognize this place :chug:. The worst had to be my old '89 F-150.
Scott
2005RPMTreffenOurayPittmans062.jpg

Dont know how I ever missed this thread but I had an 88 Bronco II. Punished the heck out of it. The twin traction beam axles up front broke but other than that I beat it to Hades and back. Had a James Duff suspension lift and 32s.
don't laugh to loud but i had an 87 bronco II that i absolutely beat the hell out of and it kept goin till 2nd and 3rd gear fell out of it then i just beat on it some more in the fields and hills around my house. traded it for a dirt bike

I've only owned one other offroad vehicle besides this 84 Jeep. It was a Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 with a Chevy 350, a 4 speed and PTO winch. It never failed me on the hundreds of trail drives up and down 14,000 ft mountains around Colorado Springs, Co. Now I have a CJ7. Ask Me in a few year and I'll let you know which one is better.

my best non jeep would be 2000 nissan patrol

Attachments

• jeep 018.jpg
    jeep 018.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 920
  • Pic010.jpg
    Pic010.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 658
  • Photo0021.jpg
    Photo0021.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 404
Best non-jeep 4x4 ive driven would deffinately be my 85 F150, 300 I6, 4 speed with granny low, that pig will crawl up a tree, and ive followed a ranger and 4runner down trails they barely fit down, and had no problem. I'll never get rid of the old girl she serves me well. I cant wait to be wheeling my CJ5 though

Best non Jeep:'75 Dodge Power Wagon with locked rear end, oil cooler, lifted and 33" tires. That thing would out wheel most, except where it couldn't squeeze through :D. The turning radius was like a jeep too.
My worst: my modern day Tundra. The body and paint's too nice to take it off road which makes it a useless 4 WD except in the snow (where it does well), so I guess I'll never know :confused:

Best 1977 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40

Dont really have a worse.

Not saying they were the best but I owned three toyote landcrusiers. two 70's and one 72. I rolled the 72 right after I got it which totalled it out. The 70 I kept for several years. I wound up putting a chevy v8 in it. When they broke parts were too exspensive when you could find them. The landcruiser ALWAYS had brake problems. It was designed by an engineer from chevy. Chevy didn't want to make it so he took the idea to toyota. The six cylinder in the toyota will accept 250 chevy parts. A v8 swap is pretty much bolt it too. Even though I owned the lancruisers I still wanted a jeep. Just took 30 years to get one.

I realize this thread is old but I still believe it is relevant. Other than the 84 CJ7 which was my first vehicle, the most dependable 4x4 I have had is a Land Rover Discovery series II. full time four wheel drive and a center locking diff. Whether running street tires or mudders it is a beast. Not much hp, but good on torque. Unlike most Rover owners I actually used mine for what it was intended for.

I would say the best besides the CJ , would be a 76 toyota land cruiser. My brother and I tipped it on its side. A bunch of friends uprighted it and we kept wheelin.

Best (most fun) and worst (worthless for crawilin') was the same vehicle - my 1961 VW Dunebuggy. It was a blast and a head turner on the road, but then we bought a Jeep. 'nuf said... :D

(Pic is when we first got it - First run at Pismo!)

Attachments

• IMG_0409a.jpg
    IMG_0409a.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 427
I've only owned one other offroad vehicle besides this 84 Jeep. It was a Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 with a Chevy 350, a 4 speed and PTO winch. It never failed me on the hundreds of trail drives up and down 14,000 ft mountains around Colorado Springs, Co. Now I have a CJ7. Ask Me in a few year and I'll let you know which one is better.

I did the same thing too. I had a 72 that I rolled and totaled out right after I bought it. I then bought a 70 which I put a 350 in. That thing was fun

Worst 4x4 I ever owned was a 2001 Chevy Blazer. That thing broke down constantly. The four wheel worked great when it worked but I had to repalce something on it every winter to get it working. When the door latch fell off on a 20 degree snowy night I was done. Working graveyards no less had to drive home with a rope holding it closed. Didnt have many miles and was my wifes daily, had to get something dependable for her.

87 yota 4x4 goes strong and doesn't mind pulling out the fullsize boys..No one mentioned a horse yet..experienced rider and a hoof horse,hate it but its gotcha beat. I still wouldn't trade 4 horses for my 86 CJ7 and ive managed to stick it in a ditch coming up my driveway! TWICE:D
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I owned a 83' Toyota 4x4 pick up with a 22R engine. Just enough power for some off-road and very reliable. I thought they where great little trucks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks