Trans AX15 Alignment

Trans AX15 Alignment

aglinks

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘83 CJ7, 4.8L Vortec, TF999, D300, AMC20, D30
Has anyone figured out how to measure the concentricity of an AX15 bellhousing? I have an Advance Adapters AX15 with their install kit behind my 4.8L Vortec and it keeps eating pilot bushings. I have sent a couple emails to Advance Adapters but received no response, so I’m hoping I can find a way to measure how far out of alignment it is and just order new offset dowels for the engine.

Trans AX15 Alignment
Gert’s suggestion also works in my imagination. Only you can find out, and obviously the clutch plate and disc must be left out.

You could borrow a GM bellhousing to check your dowels.

The bushing should be optimal quality, properly installed and fitted with regards to insertion depth and shaft tip engagement and MUST be non magnetic. Other than that, it’s beyond me.

Post some images. I’d like to see the damage myself and learn something.

One question I have, was the shifting easy and normal, and were there any weird noises or vibrations felt at the shift stick… If none were present, you likely have other issues.
Shifting was like butter for the first couple thousand miles. Then the noise starts and gets louder and louder. I didn’t keep the old bushing so I’ll have to take pictures when I take it apart next!

I doubt it. You will have to take it apart and examine components very carefully.

Do you have the right size 10 spline hub on the disc…

Did an inferior quality bushing damage the surface on the shaft tip…

Did the input bearing retainer come loose…

Is your brand new crated transmission out of tolerance…

Good luck.

I doubt it. You will have to take it apart and examine components very carefully.

Do you have the right size 10 spline hub on the disc…

Did an inferior quality bushing damage the surface on the shaft tip…

Did the input bearing retainer come loose…

Is your brand new crated transmission out of tolerance…

Good luck.
I went with the LS and a crate transmission to AVOID these issues lol

I called advance adapters and they seem to think it’s throw out bearing noise that I’m hearing but I’m curious to hear your opinions. I’ve tried to describe when the noise occurs.

When I shift I get a grinding/whirring sound. The sound only happens mid-shift after I am out of the starting gear while the clutch is depressed. Meaning I press the clutch, shift from gear X to gear Y, the noise starts immediately once the shifter leaves gear X, I let off the clutch, it goes away. If I double clutch, I do not get the noise. I have replaced my throw out bearing and pilot bushing twice in 2 years and it stays quiet for a few months after each change. Any thoughts?

I ordered parts and will pull it all apart sometime this summer and see what bearing is trashed. We have had an insane amount of snow here in Flagstaff (~14ft) this winter and it caused a bunch of damage to my house, so that is going to occupy my time for the next couple months.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom