Trans AX15 Alignment

Trans AX15 Alignment

aglinks

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘83 CJ7, 4.8L Vortec, TF999, D300, AMC20, D30
Has anyone figured out how to measure the concentricity of an AX15 bellhousing? I have an Advance Adapters AX15 with their install kit behind my 4.8L Vortec and it keeps eating pilot bushings. I have sent a couple emails to Advance Adapters but received no response, so I’m hoping I can find a way to measure how far out of alignment it is and just order new offset dowels for the engine.

You happen to know what year the tranny is?

You could even give the good folks at Novak conversions a call. They have extensive info regarding the ax15

Might want to check alignment and use offset dowels if needed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Might want to check alignment and use offset dowels if needed.

This is what I want to do, but since the AX15 bellhousing doesn’t have a center bore, I’m unsure how to do it.

I initially used AA’s kit for my GM conversion which included their custom made bellhousing. I didn’t like it and ended up returning it. You must use a GM classic and ubiquitous bellhousing or an aftermarket one from Summit, and then get Novak’s kit. They also can supply this bellhousing separately.

Man, I do not want to buy another adapter kit. This bellhousing and clutch assembly was like $1100
I agree... How much can you deflect (slop) does the input shaft have when measured at the end where it engages the pilot?

I have thought about this and I believe I have a way to make a simple jig but it's going to need an Indicol type hole finder. Do you have one?

I can see doing a reverse concentricity check working, would be a pain to see dial indicator tho,

If you are able mount bellhousing and trans on back of your motor with no pilot bearing you could attach dial indicator to fly wheel and take your measurements off the input bearing retainer while your rotating the engine, preferably with no spark plugs in the cylinders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surface parallelism on that bellhousing can be checked like this.

Attachments

• 3BDAB1BB-C1E7-4427-A7D1-BC1422C90059.png
    3BDAB1BB-C1E7-4427-A7D1-BC1422C90059.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
The crankshaft flange on those engines can accept two different size pilot bushings based on transmission input shaft stick out distance. The correct one must be used to attain proper engagement.

The crankshaft flange on those engines can accept two different size pilot bushings based on transmission input shaft stick out distance. The correct one must be used to attain proper engagement.
I have the correct one, I know because I started with the wrong one and it wouldn’t bolt together. The splines on the shaft were bottoming out on the pilot bushing.

I can see doing a reverse concentricity check working, would be a pain to see dial indicator tho,

If you are able mount bellhousing and trans on back of your motor with no pilot bearing you could attach dial indicator to fly wheel and take your measurements off the input bearing retainer while your rotating the engine, preferably with no spark plugs in the cylinders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m struggling to understand how I would accomplish this. With the trans and bellhousing bolted to the engine, there is no access to the flywheel.

I am wondering if there is an issue with the dowels or something on this engine. As far as I know it’s all stock, but I had a lot of trouble trying to run an automatic behind it. I had a Novak kit to use the TF999 and I tore flex plates left and right! I switched to a TF727 thinking it was an issue with the trans, but that didn’t work. So I switched to a manual with Advance Adapters kit thinking the issue was Novak’s kit. Now I don’t know what my problem is.

You could borrow a GM bellhousing to check your dowels.

The bushing should be optimal quality, properly installed and fitted with regards to insertion depth and shaft tip engagement and MUST be non magnetic. Other than that, it’s beyond me.

Post some images. I’d like to see the damage myself and learn something.

One question I have, was the shifting easy and normal, and were there any weird noises or vibrations felt at the shift stick… If none were present, you likely have other issues.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom