Anyone else having trouble with thier Bestop?

Anyone else having trouble with thier Bestop?
I spread mine out in the sun for a couple of hours before I put it up. I try to do it on a warm day on warm asphalt.

I spread mine out in the sun for a couple of hours before I put it up. I try to do it on a warm day on warm asphalt.

:)Yep...............even the factory instructions tell you to lay it out in the Sun before trying to install.....
All about the heat!

:D:D:D:D

Putting the top up in the heat is better than when it's cold but I still have to stretch it.
The good thing about a soft top is that you can have it down when it's nice and put it up when it's not. Here in the mountains weather changes fast and often. It may be hot in town but when I head to the mountain pass it's cold and I want to put up the top. Or it may start raining or hailing. When it's warm and sunny that's the time I want to put my top down not up.:chug:
:driving:

I like your clever idea for modifying the top on your jeep.Kudo's to you.
I think I will borrow the idea and put a removable pin in that bow so that I don't have to struggle with unbolting the bracket to the tub when I remove the entire top.Thanks, Mike S.

would it have done what you wanted to do if you drilled another "notch" hole down an inch or so??:cool:

you would not actually shorten the bow just take some of the pressure off it.

I have the Bestop Supertop. The top does go up better in hot weather but I'm most concerned about it going up quickly when it's cold, and raining and hailing.
It is impossible to pivot the main support bar up when the sides are already zipped. But I can extend the diagonal rear bar after zipping the sides.
attachment.php

There are 4 notches that I could latch that diagonal bar into. With a lot of force I can get the bar into the first notch. The others are useless.
I am working on a fix today.

would it have done what you wanted to do if you drilled another "notch" hole down an inch or so??:cool:

you would not actually shorten the bow just take some of the pressure off it.

It may have helped a little but the real problem is the pressure of the vertical bar.
15357d1378652324-anyone-else-having-trouble-thier-bestop-15-bestop-cropped.jpg

I couldn't pull the zipper past this bar because I just couldn't close this gap in the zipper even with the diagonal bow lowered.
15341d1378585968-anyone-else-having-trouble-thier-bestop-02-bestop-medium-.jpg

Now I need some magnets so I can do what you did so I won't have to rely on the velcro over the door.

Do you have a source for dead hard drives?? :D

Last edited:
I guessed as much but I was going to offer to send you some of my supply.:D

How did you attach the magnets?

img_0972__2_thumb.jpg

A fellow club member showed this to me ions ago. Making a little snap attachment (Third pic),and install it on the top bar. This will make the rear window be able to open without having to roll it up and not leave the permanant marks from the supplied straps. Plus scratch the window from that is dirt already on it.

How did you attach the magnets?

the magnet goes on the inside and a big old plated flat washer goes on the outside. you don't really have to "attach" anything to the top. the washer goes up under the rain flap so it is out of site and out of the weather , for the most part.:D

I think I like this.:D

img_0972__2_thumb.jpg

A fellow club member showed this to me ions ago. Making a little snap attachment (Third pic),and install it on the top bar. This will make the rear window be able to open without having to roll it up and not leave the permanant marks from the supplied straps. Plus scratch the window from that is dirt already on it.

^^^After seeing this I may put my top back on. :)

Dave, I noticed your top had the blade (?) attachment to the top of the tub. Mine came with snaps, two sets in fact. I like the smoothness and security of the blade attachment. Is it a modification I can do to my 1980 CJ7?

Some great ideas from everyone. :notworthy:

I think thats the difference between the Bestop Supertop I have and the Bestop TigerTop.

The TigerTop has snaps.

img_0972__2_thumb.jpg

Adding this one to the "To Do" list. Thanks for posting this convenient and useful project tip, Torx. I literally hate rolling up the rear window and dealing with the original snap straps.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks