Anyone else having trouble with thier Bestop?

Anyone else having trouble with thier Bestop?

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
I am frustrated with the fit of my Bestop soft top for my CJ5. The top fits so tight over the frame that I have to stretch it to zip up the side panels. It's like the frame is too big for the soft top.
attachment.php

You can see from the above picture there is about a one inch gap above the side panel. I have to stretch it to zip it up.
I have had 2 Bestop soft tops and both of them seemed like the frame was too big for the soft top. Is anyone else having this problem?:mad:

This top takes longer than it should to put up especially when I am on a mountain trail and it's hailing.
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f63/four-wheeling-up-spiller-peak-19517/

Another issue is the wimpy strip of velcro to fasten the top over the door. IOPort used magnets to help the velcro.

Dave, I am on my third Bestop Tiger Top in around 20 years. They all seem to be a bit different. I have had to do a lot of work on each one of them to make them fit only so-so, even the oem top required work to fit better. I think the SuperTop would have been a better bet. Like many of the parts you buy, they are not perfect right out of the box and require a bit of fitting work. Maybe these tops fit a bit better where I live as it got to be 100 degrees today. I like to use silicone spray on those zippers, I had a guy replace mine once and it wasn't cheap.

Just remember every jeep is a little different.To make a top that fits MOST of our jeeps pretty close isn't a easy job.There supposed to fit tight.Like was said lubricant on zippers,warmer weather when installing all help.
I like my super top over the tiger top I had previously.I to have had problem with the zippers on the rear window being tight but it doesn't flap in the wind either. my 2 cents;) Mike

My super top is from about 2004 (pre Mexico) and yes it's fits tight, it's a pain to put on.

I have also added 1/2" pipe insulation here and there on the frame to ease the vinyl from slapping against it. It is good to buy the top in black, since fabric shops carry it for repairing tears from trees and rocks using a heavy needle and fishing string.

Thanks guys
How "new" is it? Bestop moved their production to Mexico awhile back. :confused:
I got my top in Fall 2011. My previous top was from 1997. Both seemed to have the vertical bar almost an inch too high. The only measurement Bestop asks you to make sure of is the measurement from the top of the windshield to the tailgate. The windshield would then need to be adjusted.
Here's my problem on both the Bestops I have owned.
attachment.php

When the height of this vertical bar is too high it's nothing wrong with the jeep. The bottom of the soft top fits into the black channel here. The top fits on top of the vertical bar. This vertical bar is just too big if you ask me. There is some foam on the bar I tried to remove without luck.
I think I will do some modifying.

I have tried oil on the zipper. That helps temporarily. I don't like using oil on those zippers (or on my Hi-Lift). Oil attracts dust and then it gets worse. I use water. That does a mediocre job of lubricating.

Dave try using a bar of soap as lube on the zippers, it work good and doesn't attract dust.

Ive got a fairly new one for my 7. There is no way to reinstall the side curtains unless I unlatch the slider deal for the rear bow. Gives it plenty of slack and its a breeze to zip either the top or side when taking off or putting back on the sides.

your problem is your top never gets hot enough. Mine goes on like it should at temps above 100 deg. Anything below 70, like when you may need a top, it is a royal PITA!!:cool:

I don't know why they had to "improve" on the original design. the door latches are a PITA literally.:D

Are you zipping the windows in before trying to attach to the channel on the body? I always found that worked better than zipping after. And the warmer temps definitely helps.

Dain

I have the Bestop Supertop. The top does go up better in hot weather but I'm most concerned about it going up quickly when it's cold, and raining and hailing.
It is impossible to pivot the main support bar up when the sides are already zipped. But I can extend the diagonal rear bar after zipping the sides.
attachment.php

There are 4 notches that I could latch that diagonal bar into. With a lot of force I can get the bar into the first notch. The others are useless.
I am working on a fix today.

I am convinced the Bestop Supertop for 1976 to 1982 CJ5 is too small for the framework.
Does anyone else have experience with those same years?

Last edited:
Yep, I had the same issue with my 78 CJ5. It eventually tore itself apart because of how tight it was. And living in Texas it was always warm and still a pain to put on. And if using the lowest loosest setting on the adjustments meant going at highway speeds parts would come off. Never found a fix for it other than running a bikini top and full doors.:confused:

operator error! LOL:D mike

drop the hole down 1/2 inch?? A jack to lift the diagonal the last inch?:cool:

I have the Bestop Supertop. The top does go up better in hot weather but I'm most concerned about it going up quickly when it's cold, and raining and hailing.
It is impossible to pivot the main support bar up when the sides are already zipped. But I can extend the diagonal rear bar after zipping the sides.
attachment.php

There are 4 notches that I could latch that diagonal bar into. With a lot of force I can get the bar into the first notch. The others are useless.
I am working on a fix today.

It's fixed!
I bought some pins like this
pin1.jpg

Then I drilled a new hole in the vertical bar 0.75 inches above the original hole. I used this hole to lower the bar.
1_bestop__small.jpg

Now I tested puting the top up and down to make sure this is how I wanted to do it.
This vertical side rail at the front of the side panel also needed to be shorter.
2_bestop__small.jpg

I marked where I wanted to cut it but this is the point of no return. To make sure I wanted to proceed I put the top up and back down a couple more times.

It worked great and I made the cut.
The top is still very tight. I just don't have to stretch it an inch to put it up.
Now when I extend the diagonal bar, I can use one of the 2 middle holes (there are 4). It's no longer a struggle to get to the first hole.
latch.jpg

26_bestop__small.jpg

Nice smooth, easy to put up. This is how the top should be.
24_bestop__small.jpg

And the doors fit great.
23_bestop__small.jpg

Last edited:
works for me, I think mine would be kind of floppy when it warmed up.

Now, if you find a way to keep the rear end up and drop the windshield to center brace section of canvas. kind of a "T" top thing.:cool:

Now, if you find a way to keep the rear end up and drop the windshield to center brace section of canvas. kind of a "T" top thing.:cool:
Yes, my rear does hang low but I would rather lower my front end by getting lower springs up front. Low CG that's the way to be.
I also don't like my roll cage with 2 bars down the center but nothing over the doors. I would like to add bars over the doors.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks