Announcing the Last Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride

Will you make it to the Jeep-CJ.com trail ride in Colorado?

• No thanks. I have better things to do on my time off.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Announcing the Last Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail Ride
When I wheel I do the best I can to respect the land and others around me. I run a 360, stock exhaust manifold, flowmaster with tailpipe that exits the rear. I try to keep the noise down as best as possible. Most in this country hate ORV, and loud pipes fuels their debate to ban us from enjoying the great outdoors.

With all do respect, I wouldn't enjoy a "full day" of leading or trailing a loud ORV.

You can't have strait pipes. Glass packed Cherry Bombs will work.

It doesn't sound like you'll be breaking any laws. Actually it amazes me what I see driving around here with Colorado license plates. I see dune buggies without windshield wipers, cars and motorcycles without turn signals, and license plates mounted where they are hardly visible. If it has plates from any state the cops won't hassle you.

If anyone on the trail ride has any problems I am willing to bet it will be reliability not legal issues (but then again I haven't seen FishinFool's rig yet:p) So anyone that plans on coming needs to look over their jeeps to make sure they are reliable. These are all old jeeps.
:grinjeep:

When I wheel I do the best I can to respect the land and others around me. I run a 360, stock exhaust manifold, flowmaster with tailpipe that exits the rear. I try to keep the noise down as best as possible. Most in this country hate ORV, and loud pipes fuels their debate to ban us from enjoying the great outdoors.

With all do respect, I wouldn't enjoy a "full day" of leading or trailing a loud ORV.

Well I sure didn't intend on offending anyone so I apologize for that. I have some really nice pink earplugs that would be a great fit for Posi's concern.

We already had the glass packs my husband ordered a while back for the '67 CJ5 w/V6225. I went out to the barn to see if there was a dB rating on the box - turns out we ended up with one Thrush and one Cherry bomb glass packs - I have no idea how that happened...We were just trying to use what we had as SSDI doesn't provide much for me ( my problem - it sucks not to be able to work anymore.) So this mismatched pair might not work anyway. The headers are pretty much a requirement due to the space limitations and that this engine Buick V6 231 oddfire drivers side manifold points forward and there are no stock y-pipes made - only custom. Routing the exhaust all the way to the rear sounds like good advice due to the heat/ and exhaust at slow speeds so I will try and get my custom exhaust builder (husband) to consider this.

We are working very hard to get this CJ built for this trip - but if we are not welcome I sure don't need to have talked my husband into a "driving" vacation only to get ragged on by "this group" and have yet another bad life experience...:( He's taking a weeks vacation just to work on this project in May. Maybe I should have him change that....:dunno:

Most of this probably belongs in my build thread - I have no motivation to even update that now....more :(

You guys have almost talked me out of coming - is that the intention??

apples to apples - what is the dB output on the other CJ's going on this ride?

Very :( in Wisconsin

Well I sure didn't intend on offending anyone so I apologize for that.

We are working very hard to get this CJ built for this trip - but if we are not welcome I sure don't need to have talked my husband into a "driving" vacation only to get ragged on by "this group" and have yet another bad life experience...:( He's taking a weeks vacation just to work on this project in May. Maybe I should have him change that....:dunno:

Most of this probably belongs in my build thread - I have no motivation to even update that now....more :(

I really think you need to chill just a little (not trying to be mean.) Posi's post was a general post and not inteded tworard you personally. I dodn't think I have ever seen a post that was intentionally harfull to a member here and if we do we take care of it as soon as we see it.

Wea are all rooting for you to get the CJ going and get to Co! :chug: :notworthy:

Well I sure didn't intend on offending anyone so I apologize for that. I have some really nice pink earplugs that would be a great fit for Posi's concern.

We already had the glass packs my husband ordered a while back for the '67 CJ5 w/V6225. I went out to the barn to see if there was a dB rating on the box - turns out we ended up with one Thrush and one Cherry bomb glass packs - I have no idea how that happened...We were just trying to use what we had as SSDI doesn't provide much for me ( my problem - it sucks not to be able to work anymore.) So this mismatched pair might not work anyway. The headers are pretty much a requirement due to the space limitations and that this engine Buick V6 231 oddfire drivers side manifold points forward and there are no stock y-pipes made - only custom. Routing the exhaust all the way to the rear sounds like good advice due to the heat/ and exhaust at slow speeds so I will try and get my custom exhaust builder (husband) to consider this.

apples to apples - what is the dB output on the other CJ's going on this ride?

Very :( in Wisconsin

No one is talking you in to our out of anything... The more the merrier on thsi trip in my opinion. I've been keeping an eye on the build thread as it's quite an undertaking.

I think you took the "with all do respect" part out of context. I assumed that was meant was for ANY member on here who has a loud Jeep to not be offended. I don't think there's any way yours will be loud with those on it and a V6.

You've been given good advice on the piping and if you run what you have on mufflers you will be completely fine. I can't imagine 3 cylinders running through each glasspack is going to be any louder than my 8 running through 1 Flowmaster (which seems the same as Posi's).

If you think it's too loud, then you can just put on the cheapest muffler you can find and they you'll hear virtually nothing. In "most" cases, money spent on mufflers buys two things - sound and/or type of sound. Less money often buys the quietest sound from my experience.

Oldjeeplady, I didn't take Posi's post as being directed at you.
I do know what he's saying though, I hate it when people run through the woods with no muffler. Or with their music turned way up.:mad:

Don't worry though with your cherry bomb's, your jeep will probably be quieter than mine with the duel flowmasters.:D

OK - I messed up and took Posi's post wrong - got my feelings hurt and shouldn't have posted what I did...The way Old Dog put it I totally agree with what was meant....:eek::eek::eek: Sorry...:bang:

Please forgive me and my "drama" ...:eek: I greatly appreciate the folks on this forum - I feel I have made some good friends even though we have only talked on the forum. I really don't want to lose that!!!

Enough said I hope - we still plan on coming to the ride. :)

Oldjeeplady, I didn't take Posi's post as being directed at you.
I do know what he's saying though, I hate it when people run through the woods with no muffler. Or with their music turned way up.:mad:

Don't worry though with your cherry bomb's, your jeep will probably be quieter than mine with the duel flowmasters.:D

Look'n forward to riding with everyone. :chug:
I have the VFD fund raiser ride coming up, there's always a chance of breaking something there.:eek:
Then the cj will than get the summer off from anything that might cause carnage. It will also give me a chance to make sure it's at it's best, I don't want to drive that far and have problems.

OK, who's coming?
Here's my list:
CJ
OldJeepLady
Posi
FishinFool98
OldDog
djohnbb62
hasn't voted to come but he lives close enough that I bet he will show up for a few days.
Is that it? Oh wait, ME! I'll be there! :D
Anyone else coming? Anyone on the list that no longer thinks they'll make it?

That's eight of us. We still have room for a couple more.

What, IO isn't coming this year?

OK, who's coming?
Here's my list:
CJ
OldJeepLady
Posi
FishinFool98
OldDog
djohnbb62
hasn't voted to come but he lives close enough that I bet he will show up for a few days.
Is that it? Oh wait, ME! I'll be there! :D
Anyone else coming? Anyone on the list that no longer thinks they'll make it?

That's eight of us. We still have room for a couple more.

Yes we still plan to come..:) Although my husband hasn't voted in the poll you should add mriplaybass...unless you are just counting "jeeps" and not people. I will ask my husband to vote, but I don't know if he will...:rolleyes:

Monday evening we had 1.5 inch hail and storms with winds that blew down 4 healthy 30 yr Blue Spuce and one other healthy tree in our front yard....:( There are wet spots in the floor of the big barn that weren't there before. There were no twister watches, but we might have had a little one or some serious straight line winds....Our insurance folks are coming on Saturday. All our vehicles were under cover. I had never seen hail that big here so I quick ran out and grabbed some to put in the freezer. It sounded like continuous thunder. I had no idea the storm was going to be that bad. I sat right in the living room and watched it out the big window (dumb - I should have been in the basement....:eek:) I have this bad feeling that this agressive weather pattern is going to continue here right through the warmer months...

I'm pretty positive I can make it this year! I had planned on going last year, but my tranny gave out a few weeks before. As long as nothing changing with my fall classes I'll be there! If the weather is good I'll probably lodge at one of the local camp grounds.

I'm pretty positive I can make it this year! I had planned on going last year, but my tranny gave out a few weeks before. As long as nothing changing with my fall classes I'll be there! If the weather is good I'll probably lodge at one of the local camp grounds.
There is a KOA Campground, or better yet stay at the Amphitheater Campground south of Ouray. As you leave Ouray the highway has a few switchbacks. On one of these switchbacks you will see the sign and turnoff for the Amphitheater Park.

Also PM me sometime so we can exchange phone numbers. That'll help us meet up when we arrive.

There is a KOA Campground, or better yet stay at the Amphitheater Campground south of Ouray. As you leave Ouray the highway has a few switchbacks. On one of these switchbacks you will see the sign and turnoff for the Amphitheater Park.

Also PM me sometime so we can exchange phone numbers. That'll help us meet up when we arrive.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look into that soon... should be a wee bit nicer than a KOA :D Now I just need to regear so I can drive out there without the engine screaming the whole way!
I'll send you my number once I've made the reservations for the campground and I am 100% for the trip. :chug:

I made our reservations at the Rivers Edge today. We will work like crazy to get our CJ5 ready. If it looks like we won't get it done, we will add a few upgrades to our '91 Ranger 4.0 XLT 4x4 and tow that out. I wanted to just "buy" a CJ for this trip, but my husband really wants to get ours built. We have had some setbacks, but things should move along better now (I hope..:rolleyes:.)

If we make it this will be an ugly functional CJ5 with nice wheels.....they will probably give us an award for the worst looking CJ with the strangest fenders.....:eek:

Hey MadCJ95 or anyone else that plans on camping for the Colorado Jeep-CJ trail ride. If you prefer camping in the forest over a KOA there are a couple of places on Camp Bird Road just outside of Ouray. I just looked over Angel Creek Campground today. It's less than 10 minutes from town. It's not very heavily used. It's more like you are out in the wilderness. You could get a small trailer in there but I think the tent campers would prefer it. It costs $10 a night. There is no one to take you money. Instead you leave it in a drop box.
As you start to head south out of Ouray you will see a wooden sign saying "Box Canyon Falls". Turn there. After a short distance you will pass Box Canyon Falls. DO NOT turn there, continue on for a few more miles. The river will be on the right. When you cross over the river on a bridge turn to the right immediately after crossing the river. That it. Your in the campground.

Thanks for the heads up BusaDave! The USDA website says light usage so I should be able to get a spot.
I'm going out this weekend to take the CJ5 for a test drive on some trails near Nenderland see what still needs to be fixed before August. I know the steering coupling needs to be rebuilt, but this should give me a little bit better idea of some of the weaker stuff.
Loving the photos from Governor and Yankee too!

Well guys and gals, I have to go in for surgery in July which is going to eat most of my vacation time up. So I won't be able to make the ride this year.:mad:
Hopefully Dave will decide to do this again some year.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks