AMC 360 Trouble Starting After Sitting

AMC 360 Trouble Starting After Sitting
If it has a quadrajet carb like most Chevys did they had a problem with plugs in the bottem of the bowls that leak so when it sets for a little while the gas leaks out leaving the carb dry so to fix this when you do a rebuild you have to epoxy them underneath the bowls to fix it. I don't know if the Edelbrock carbs have the same design.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look for the plugs when I dig into it.

Common guy, fix your choke. When the engine is cold it needs the choke to be working properly.

I have an AMC 360 as well, and it does something similar to yours. I have not remedied the issue mechanically yet, but instead, I have tried different techniques to start it. My jeep sits in my basement, this time of year, about a constant 55 degrees. Heres what works for me, and I know it sounds weird. This is after sitting all night. I do not pump the throttle, and I do not use the choke. It usually starts, then I pull the manual choke out just slightly, and gently tap the throttle to engage the choke. Like I said, this works almost every time. If it doesn't work, the only way to start it is full choke ( I can pump it and pump it, but it wont start ), then I back the choke off after it starts. It works...on mine, and when the weather warms up a bit, I intend on investigating further. Good luck. :chug:

Mine can be finicky at times, when it's cold. But it does start. It starts in an odd way. The engine turns ove never making any sign it's going to start, then it's suddenly running.

When I see the virtual flood of, "Can't start." Posts a thought always crosses my mind, "Don't these guys remember starting a carborated vehicle?" With almost everything being fuel injected and running on a computer I think we have lost something.

Mine can be finicky at times, when it's cold. But it does start. It starts in an odd way. The engine turns ove never making any sign it's going to start, then it's suddenly running.

When I see the virtual flood of, "Can't start." Posts a thought always crosses my mind, "Don't these guys remember starting a carborated vehicle?" With almost everything being fuel injected and running on a computer I think we have lost something.

+1 on the fuel injected thing, ive had to really get used to the idea that carbs are different in a lot of ways, its refreshing but can definitely be frustrating too.

+1 on the fuel injected thing, ive had to really get used to the idea that carbs are different in a lot of ways, its refreshing but can definitely be frustrating too.

Yank them and go FI! I have no love for carbs and they have no love for me! Good riddence.

I could be biased though since I have started trying to build FI harnesses for people as a side business.

lol the wife would kill me at the moment, gotta work her around to it.

Many really young guys have never owned a carburated vehicle ( not to include street bikes ). :D Its what you and I were raised on....because we are old farts :D Fuuny thing. Not long ago, I looked at an 89 model motor home, it was for sale. The young owner climbed in the driver seat, turned the engine over and over....never touching the throttle. He looked at me and said he hadn't owned it long, but it has always been hard to start. I told him to to pump the throttle a couple of times to prime the engine, and close the choke.....lol...it fired right up.....and he thanked me, and turned red from embarrassment. :chug:

I think you hit the nail on the head :notworthy:

Grew up on carbs and love 'em. Would rather tweak a carb than fiddle with FI any day. Anticipating the challenge of getting the stumble out of the Motorcraft 4300D sitting in the Mach 1. More fun! My biggest stumbling block is the priority list, and it's a long one. My shop is so full now it'll be fall before I can justify getting the Chebby inside to tinker on: Final drives and brakes still have to be installed on the John Deere before hay season, finish the '77 F150, rebuild the tranny in the '97 Mustang, rebuild the tranny in the '06 Expedition, on and on.....

Ain't but one of me and not enough hours in a day, thanks to full time employment. Plus I'm too stingy to pay someone else to do what I'm capable of accomplishing myself, given enough time.

I have this problem when the fuel gets old. I don't drive it enough.
Have you checked the float levels and made sure these are set right? If the acc pump jets are squirting, I would think it would start up.

The starting fluid is sealed and fresh so it ignites easily. I have found fuel that is a few months old is hard to start for me. I think the lighter volatile gases evaporate off.

Have you tried putting in fresh fuel and see what happens??

mine is all fresh new fuel.

Mine was (relatively) fresh fuel. And I tested the fuel pressure today and it was 8 psi. Seems a little much, but definitely not on the low end. Had to use Vitamin E to start her. i replaced the Napa fuel filter (3033) with a new one. I'll try tomorrow and see if the fuel filter replacement fixed it. But somehow I'm doubting it...

I gotta see how things go with mine...discovered that my main pcv line was causing problems so I gotta see how it changes when I replace that, idling sucks it flat even after I cut the holed section out

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

So Saturday I replaced the fuel filter and tested the pressure (see previous post). Yesterday (Tuesday) I went to start her up and it took several tries but she finally started. I pumped the gas 3-4 times before every attempt. So I guess my timeline is that it's difficult to start after sitting 3 days. Any longer and I'd say it is impossible to start without starting fluid. I'm thinking that fuel is running back to the tank somehow. I thought the fuel pump was supposed to stop this? Is there an inline fuel check valve that works?

A carborated engine doesn't rely on fuel in the gas line to start as a fuel injected engine would. There should be enough fuel in the float bowl to start the engine. Once started the pump will quickly fill the bowl.

My 7 did the exact same thing. I had to hose the carb with starter fluid. Once started, it was ok UNLESS it sat overnight. My fix was a new fuel pump and replacing some of the fuel line . I ran some hose over the drivers fender from the pump and then cycled the motor to verify fuel was being pumped. Haven't had any troubles since then. I have found more rotten fuel hose that needs replaced. Be better than me and replace all of the rubber hose at the same time:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

It is definitely I fuel issue, as I've had no issues whatsoever after installing the priming pump, I can leave it for weeks now and just a quick prime and fires up instantly. I'm guessing there is a small leak somewhere in the float bowl to carb and its allowing it to drain over extended periods. Mine might not be the ideal solution but it sure works.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks