AMC 20 LOCKER Choice

AMC 20 LOCKER Choice

Tectron

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, T176 Trans, 304 CID, 300 tc, Summit HEI Dist, Edelbrock intake, carb and cam, stock diffs 4.56 gears with Front and rear lockrites, Family Cage, 15x10x12.5 BFG MT's, 4" lift.
Trying to decide on a locker for my AMC20, I like the idea of the one from Auburn but have heard bad things about them, Is there a reliable switchable locker made for that diff ?

Trying to decide on a locker for my AMC20, I like the idea of the one from Auburn but have heard bad things about them, Is there a reliable switchable locker made for that diff ?

Would really depend on what you want out of your rig...

Busa Dave put together a sticky on lockers that is definitely a must read if you haven't already:

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/lockers-limited-slip-differentials-12434/index2.html#post101728

If you're in serious need of a locker...and you're dead set on keeping the 20...you might want to look into a truss and welding up the tubes prior to/along with...not to mention one-piece shafts...

Last edited:
Would really depend on what you want out of your rig...

Busa Dave put together a sticky on lockers that is definitely a must read if you haven't already:

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/lockers-limited-slip-differentials-12434/index2.html#post101728

If you're in serious need of a locker...and you're dead set on keeping the 20...you might want to look into a truss and welding up the tubes prior to/along with...not to mention one-piece shafts...

It's got the 1 piece shafts in it. And right now I don't know how the 20 is set up, its at a jeep shop getting the front diff done as the PO did it all wrong. Ill find out on monday what the rear 20 has in it, it spins both wheels but still not sure what's in it, I know the PO put 4.56 gears in it, and hopefully in both diffs :) But I like the idea of running the rear selectably. Front is a lock right.

Are you talking about a DL type of locker or a LSD.
I sure hope you plan to go to Moser 1 piece axles. Most others are China made.
Lock right in the front is good.
LG

Are you talking about a DL type of locker or a LSD.
I sure hope you plan to go to Moser 1 piece axles. Most others are China made.
Lock right in the front is good.
LG

It has the one piece axles in it, not sure on the brand. Im looking for a locker that gives me the best of both worlds, off and on road.

It has the one piece axles in it, not sure on the brand. Im looking for a locker that gives me the best of both worlds, off and on road.

Since you say locker-and not LSD(Limited slip diff).
Go with a Detroit Locker. There are the KISS of all locking diffs.

LG

Since you say locker-and not LSD(Limited slip diff).
Go with a Detroit Locker. There are the KISS of all locking diffs.

LG

I agree with LG...

It'll just take some getting used to driving it on the road. If you know what to expect out of it, then it's nothing to worry about.

If you want your CJ to ride like it does with an open diff when you drive on pavement, then you'll want some sort of selectable locker. E-locker, cable, or air locker. There's definitely a trade-off with complexity with selectable lockers, but it just depends on what you want out of it...and how much you want to pay$$$.

Didn't know you were a poet :)

So to get both of of 2 worlds, Posi off road and good highway rollin, what is best choice ?

Didn't know you were a poet :)

I didn't know it-:laugh::laugh:

I run DL's in the front and rear and have done so for 25+ yrs.
My CJ is also my DD.
LG

I agree with LG...

It'll just take some getting used to driving it on the road. If you know what to expect out of it, then it's nothing to worry about.

If you want your CJ to ride like it does with an open diff when you drive on pavement, then you'll want some sort of selectable locker. E-locker, cable, or air locker. There's definitely a trade-off with complexity with selectable lockers, but it just depends on what you want out of it...and how much you want to pay$$$.

Didn't see this until I posted, I think if the diff isn't locked right now (i'm not sure whats in it right now) I may go with selectable. What would be the down side of going that way if any ?

Didn't see this until I posted, I think if the diff isn't locked right now (i'm not sure whats in it right now) I may go with selectable. What would be the down side of going that way if any ?

Reliability-;)
I post my remarks with 50+ years background, in R&P work(retired now).
I stopped installing ARB brand because of ongoing leakage issues.
I recommend DL, as the are the KISS, strong and work every time without any secondary junk that can/will fail when you need it the most.
I do not suggest a DL in snow-country.
LG

Reliability-;)
I post my remarks with 50+ years background, in R&P work(retired now).
I stopped installing ARB brand because of ongoing leakage issues.
I recommend DL, as the are the KISS, strong and work every time without any secondary junk that can/will fail when you need it the most.
I do not suggest a DL in snow-country.
LG

So selectable DL or Non ?

Non.........;)
LG

Non.........;)
LG

K, just 1 issue I see on that for me, I do live in snow country, but I really don't plan on using the CJ in the winter so I may just go with your suggestion, Thanks for you input for sure.

I have had mine in snow(see the picture to the left)with no issues.
Road ice patches can be tricky-
Do truss and weld your axle tubes.
LG

Just found out that the AMC20 Has a lockright in it, I may just run it for now and see how it works out

I have had mine in snow(see the picture to the left)with no issues.
Road ice patches can be tricky-
Do truss and weld your axle tubes.
LG

I have heard both ways on the axle tubes, weld and truss and not, if I do those it will have to wait as Im getting to a point were I need to not spend all my kids inheritance.

The downside of the loc-rite is the carrier is not really built for that stress.
I would for sure weld the tubes-That can save your entire axle.
It's a 'skip' weld where the tube is pressed into the diff housing.
What size tires will you run?
LG

Last edited:
The downside of the loc-rite is the carrier is not really built for that stress.
I would for sure weld the tubes-That can save your the entire axle.
It's a 'skip' weld where the tube is pressed into the diff housing.
What size tires will you run?
LG

Im set up with the same tires as you, and I think the tubes are welded, I know the front is for sure, need to check the 20 tho.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks