Build Thread 86 Drive and build

Build Thread 86 Drive and build

coldair

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7 in the works,
1996 F350 crew cab with a 5.9 cummins
It's time for a build thread Im thinking. Been working on my new to me 86 CJ7 my plan was to install a " rebuilt " 258 I picked up in December long story short I pulled the head off to install a 4.0 head and found that the motor was Worn out. Ok on to what I'm planing with this jeep. ( I will be driving to work and back after motor and tans is installed ) I'll start with the motor, building and rebuilding, installing 4.0 head, running Howells fuel injection, next thing is fix the rust and stress cracks in body. Clean frame repaint, transmission I will install the t5 latter I will be installing a t18 with my Dana 300 that will be twin sticked. Axles have 3.31 gearing, front is open diff, rear is a Dana 44, Ive been trying to decide between eton elockers or ARB lockers. When I buy lockers I will be regearing to 4.10 gears.

Here is a picture of it the day i brought it home. The second one is of after i had the new wheels installed.

Alright! Another build along the way while driving it project. Some of the guys on here with full restorations are doing such nice work it makes me feel guilty for doing things half way to keep it ready for the road... at least I'm not alone:)

Nice looking jeep you've got to start with!

Alright! Another build along the way while driving it project. Some of the guys on here with full restorations are doing such nice work it makes me feel guilty for doing things half way to keep it ready for the road... at least I'm not alone:)

Nice looking jeep you've got to start with!
Why not drive it maybe a year or two down the line I will pull it apart and make sure everything is good. Thanks for the compliment about my jeep.

This is the rear bumper i picked up. i will be building a tire carrier/fuel can holder out of it.

Nice lights. :drool: Was looking on eBay just now and they seem pretty cheap...which is a worry(get what you pay for). With your set, did you need a new relay to slow the blinking?

Also, what do you have planned for reverse lights?

I did have to replace the relay. It dosnt bother me how cheap they are because i have ran the same light in my CJ5 for 2 years and havnt had any problems with them. As for the back up lights i will be installing a set of flood lights on the bumper after i get the tire carrier fabbed up.

One question about those lights.... I did take the chance and picked up two led lights from HF and it looks like there is a sizable gap between where the light will sit on the outside medal, and the "raised" plastic ring that is used to hold it in place....I haven't started cutting just for this reason, but did you use anything to help fill that gap, or is there enough medal once cut to supper the light on its own?

When I start to cut, I might take photos and create a how-to thread for others looking to go this path..if it's not out there already. :)

Thanks 'cold for the heads up on the lights at HF. Much easier to drive down the road than order online. :chug:

There is enough metal there after you cut it out. Just go slow when you cut it out. Sorry i was going to do a step by step on installing these lights but my camrea had a dead battery. maybe i will see if i can take some pictures and do a step by step.

Sorry guys I havnt dont anything on my jeep for a while been working 13 to 14 hour days doesnt give me very much time to do anything. On a good note I found a rebuild t-18 and the Dana 300 adapter from a guy I've been buying parts off of think I'm getting a pretty good deal $725.00 going to pick it up next weekend. :D

Keep the photo's coming..................

I will get more pictures when I get on the computer. I've been posting from my phone some reason it won't let me post pictures off it

Picked up my T18 this weekend came with an advance adapter. Guy told me it was a jeep T18 turned out to be a older ford. :D

Nice. Now what do you do , keep the Dana 20 or get an adapter for the Dana 300?
Pete is already has the dana 300 adapter. First thing i did when i got home was install my dana 300 on it and put my twin stick setup on.

I shouldve read a little slower. When I saw Jeep T-18 first thing I thought of was the Dana 20. That 6.32 1st gear along with the lower gearing of the dana 300 should make a nice set up. What trans are you replacing and what twin stick set up is that?

Pete is already has the dana 300 adapter. First thing i did when i got home was install my dana 300 on it and put my twin stick setup on.

Good for you on the T-18:)
If you haven't yet I would pop the top cover off and take a look at all the gears, especially the Large sliding gear at the rear of the case being the 1st gear reverse slider this will be a Non Syncro set.........and for the most part because of that will probably show the most engagement teeth wear between the slider and the counter shaft set below it..............not a big deal but it's good to know the condition if there are any chipped teeth.
I assume this is a 6:32 low you can verify that by counting the input shaft gear just inside the case should have 17 teeth.
Likewise I would pay attention to your shifter and if it seems loose or warn out now's the time to do a little tune up on it.
There is plenty of info on this site regarding oil choices.
:D:D:D:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks