Build Thread 85 CJ7 Rebuild, Labor of Love

Build Thread 85 CJ7 Rebuild, Labor of Love
Scored a tub from an ‘87 YJ. Good condition. Doesn’t look like any of the trans lateral supports need to be replaced. Just some minor repairs and the typical YJ to CJ conversion stuff.

9112f523aeaf4dc4b7164b5635f9ab1b.jpg

One small spot on the driver’s side needs a little TLC.

f50d3c95036aaae89ccfb8634bdac0ed.jpg

59377be1dd8d1cd243285652136ba4cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice score! Welcome to the YJ conversion club! As long as your floors and fenders are intact, you’ll be golden. Congrats as I know you’ve been searching.

Nice score! Welcome to the YJ conversion club! As long as your floors and fenders are intact, you’ll be golden. Congrats as I know you’ve been searching.

Thanks. Yes it’s been a long time coming. I’m excited to keep my project’s momentum going.

Just started the arduous task of removing the old bed liner in the YJ tub I scored.

Found cutting strips and peeling back with pliers works really well.

The tub looks pretty clean so far.

09dc52c410b174a6e645e2e72d064daf.jpg

Oh dang! Look at that life hack! I wonder if that means they didn’t scuff the bed enough to get good adhesion?

Beats the heck out of fire roasting it!

Less than an hour’s worth of work and I was able to clear a large area of bed liner. This may not be as bad as I thought.

I paused to remove all the left over bolts and brackets as they keel slowing the progress.

4fb68a45a6a59209cc33d6cfadf22b18.jpg

Luckily you didn't end up with a bunch of rust under there.

Luckily you didn't end up with a bunch of rust under there.

Yeah, that was to whole reason I pulled it up. I didn’t want to just assume it was all good and it end up being a mess and I didn’t take care of it when I had the chance.

This was an annoying setback. I’m inches away from a rolling chassis and what do I discover, my new heavy duty YJ spring skid plates aren’t drilled properly for the Dana 30 U-bolts.
dc2919215f3877c308e327d57ab22a41.jpg
As you can see the holes on one side are too wide. This worked great on the passenger side, but one would think Warrior Products would have understood that the Dana 30 differential is offset.

Drilled and ground the holes to fit.

f2b5ae2ec84d89886e0d1098af2ad7bf.jpg
It’s not pretty, but it won’t be visible and it works fine. I painted the bare metal to protect it. We’re ready to get back at it as soon as it dries.

Do you have a mill or were you able to elongate the holes with a drill press?

Looks great.

Thanks. I used a drill press and then a Dremel with a stone grinding bit to clean it up. Not ideal, but worked in a pinch. I left a review of the product and the company reached out to apologize.

Big day in the garage. I have finally completed my rolling chassis.

After my rear axle rebuild was complete (disc brake conversion, Moser 1-piece axle shaft... the works) I flipped it and put the new OME YJ leaf springs on. It was kind of a pain rolling the axle under the frame and aligning everything.

169765d015c38131e58a15ced4238209.jpg

So for the front end, after fully rebuilding and kitting out my Dana 30 I rolled it under the frame and looped the springs under and connected them to the shackles and main eyes, first then bolted them to the axle. I think the was easier.
258a49a1002fd3b600d239f645a4c7a1.jpg

And finally got to a rolling chassis.
96e348b28b5b1327c426a2ae1c3bf891.jpg

It’s been a long time coming to get to this point.
df31722f36b0c3de5a041a190cfaa3e2.jpg

By the way, does anyone know what that bracket on the passenger side, welded to the frame near where the engine mount should be is for? Do I need it or can I cut it out?
0202b823420b6043b88028e0565af9b0.jpg

I’m really excited about this suspension system.

Oh yeah! Looks awesome. So jealous of the rear disc. Already kicking myself for not doing!

Looks awesome. That piece is for a bump stop for the offset Dana 30. Supposed to be for a bump stop

Oh yeah! Looks awesome. So jealous of the rear disc. Already kicking myself for not doing!

Looks awesome. That piece is for a bump stop for the offset Dana 30. Supposed to be for a bump stop

Thanks man. I think I’m going to have to cut it out for my SBC 350 motor mounts to fit.

That’s looking amazing That rear disc set up is especially sexy

That’s looking amazing That rear disc set up is especially sexy

Thanks KsCj5,

I still need to get the parking brake set up. I totally forgot about it until after everything was set up. I am excited to get this project finished so I can drive it.

Lots of progress on bed liner removal. I’m just concerned that now I’m finding spots with body filler on the seams.

Shouldn’t be long before all of the liner is removed and then off to blast to really see the damage.

2ff63a75240fae39f4a1b79e86ea3851.jpg

By the way, does anyone know what that bracket on the passenger side, welded to the frame near where the engine mount should be is for? Do I need it or can I cut it out?

That is a bump stop for your front axle. Some D30s (I can't remember what years) had a bigger piece of metal on it horizontal to the ground and it would strike that extra mount up front if the axle went up too far.

I had one on my frame, but my Dana 30 didn't have that extra tang to it, so I cut off the mount when I did my 351w swap.

Lots of progress on bed liner removal. I’m just concerned that now I’m finding spots with body filler on the seams.

Shouldn’t be long before all of the liner is removed and then off to blast to really see the damage.

2ff63a75240fae39f4a1b79e86ea3851.jpg

Looks good and Fall Is In The Air... :) :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom