Build Thread 85 CJ7 Rebuild, Labor of Love

Build Thread 85 CJ7 Rebuild, Labor of Love
Thanks. Nope, it’s coming off in that case. I actually still have the computer if you know anyone who wants it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few myself. Nobody seems to want them but I can't seem to throw CJ parts away.

I have a few myself. Nobody seems to want them but I can't seem to throw CJ parts away.

Yeah I’m certain we’re all of the same mentality.

My rear axle rebuild is almost complete. I’ll share photos of the finished product. I plan on getting my new rear OME YJ springs mounted to the axle and under the frame this weekend.

One question, the rear springs have this little plate as the last portion of the “spring stack” and not sure what it’s for. Ive never seen this.

88593c256e4819438a08472717f2b985.jpg

I got the springs from a guy who never got around to installing them. Still have the shipping tags. Not sir if he had some spring over axle setup or something.

Hmmm, I did the YJ springs in mine from BDS and they didn’t have those plates. I did have to exchange the center pin studs cause they were too short.

How did the heater box rebuild go? I just got my Blazer motor for mine so I can cut up my firewall this weekend after I get it back from the exhaust shop.

MassCJ7, thanks for asking. I have to pick up my motor today. It’s a little bigger and better performing that the stock. I think it also might be for a blazer.

I also pulled apart the fresh air intake. Getting those rivers out was a pain, but it looks nice now. Going to get some adhesive sealant and reassemble today. I’ll send picks once complete.

Mdeluca,

Thanks, yes I’ve found your write-up and have referencing it for this. It’s been wildly helpful. Great resource. Especially for the reassembly of all the linkages.

I cleaned and polished it the louver shafts for the fresh air box and applied some adhesive sealant to the two halves.

I went easy as I didn’t want it all to just ooze out. It seems the two halves are not mating flush and tight. Not sure how big of a deal this is and if I need to take it apart, go get more clamps and re-apply sealant. 6c19ecb45f590ac701095bd2d58f5aa2.jpg
2835a8d4753fd3aa0e0080e1c6ad3d87.jpg

Major progress over the last couple days. My AMC Model 20 Rear axle rebuild is complete. The before pictures are abysmal.

b2972b74adcdb948b1014205fde7355b.jpg

I’ve since changed out the ring and pinion to a 4.10 ratio, converted to a Moser one-piece axle shaft, welded the tubes to the housing, replaced all seals and bearings and converted to disc brakes. This thing is a beast now. Ready to finally but it up under the frame.

d9d2c7b037311bdc00cd5737a4f9fee0.jpg

Oh man! You went all out! Welded the tubes, Moser, 4.10s and disc conversion! And a new diff cover! Sexy! Great upgrade

Oh man! You went all out! Welded the tubes, Moser, 4.10s and disc conversion! And a new diff cover! Sexy! Great upgrade

Thanks. The new cover was necessary, the original one was rusted through in a bunch of spots.

Whose conversion kit did you use?

For the one-piece axle I went with Moser Engineering. For the disc brake kit I went with TSM out of Colorado. Their kit was kind of expensive but man their service has been awesome. They machine the rotors to order so I asked them to send me an extra pair just to have.

I began the process of reassembling my suspension. I’m very excited to have progressed to this point.

b3f7b7a12c23582e724216eb2b329f0e.jpg

Driver’s side installed. I used the Warrior u-bolt skid plates, they’re pretty hefty. I had to flip the axle to use gravity as my assistant since I’m doing this alone (social distancing).
f0af64468ecc99c4aa240c1c7068224a.jpg

I’ve been alone for most of my project, certainly makes holding larger items, especially suspension-stuff tricky. Trying not to drop, scratch, etc. I did have one oops where whole Jeep fell off maxed off jack stands when I was trying to realign my rear springs when I swapped hangers. Saw it coming and tried to hold it, but crash, right down on differential and brake drums. No one hurt, except ego.

For the one-piece axle I went with Moser Engineering. For the disc brake kit I went with TSM out of Colorado. Their kit was kind of expensive but man their service has been awesome. They machine the rotors to order so I asked them to send me an extra pair just to have.

2nd the service ability. They would be a good partnership with the site.

I like this mod with the motor along with what mdeluca did with the foot vent.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks