Build Thread 85 CJ-7 frame rebuild

Build Thread 85 CJ-7 frame rebuild
I like the red firebird, what motor does it have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like their trucks. I feel they lost their way with cars a few decades back except with maybe 1 or 2 models here or there

if it makes a difference thats a El-camino not a chevelle so its sort of a truck. and its a 68 so its almost half a century old instead of a few decades back when they lost their way.....

I like the red firebird, what motor does it have?

455 bored 0.030 over to 462 ci (about 8.0 Litre) its also listed in my signutre

Last edited:
455 bored 0.030 over to 462 ci (about 8.0 Litre) its also listed in my signutre

that must be alot of fun, a friend of mine had a 79 T top with a 400 in it and it was fun to drive.

that must be alot of fun, a friend of mine had a 79 T top with a 400 in it and it was fun to drive.

it very much is fun to drive

0120001302.jpg
0826091505.jpg
0513092314.jpg
0514092329a.jpg
0816001829.jpg

let me know if you notice anything out the ordinary in that last pic....

Aside from the recycling of a jack Daniels bottle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Aside from the recycling of a jack Daniels bottle?

Lol it took only a second or two to catch that one

Old friends

frame build temporally on hold while i figure out a cooling issues on a 81 CJ7 see drive train forum for that thread.

work will continue soon though

cooling issues fixed

frame rebuild will continue this weekend i had some other cj's to work on. here are some pics of the front clip i sprayed

GEDC0077_zpspobhkwkc.jpg
GEDC0076_zpsh499ddti.jpg
GEDC0092_zpssfzz0mcx.jpg
GEDC0090_zpspm2lia73.jpg

and here is a link to my photobucket page for the full build on this particular cj Bootyrider by Tommy DeGrange | Photobucket

time for some updates sorry for the delay ive been busy.

start by choosing your tools of destruction........errr i mean disassembly
GEDC0108_zpscbvtefpy.jpg

then grab some bed iron to support the frame (although really unnecessary) and dont use the bed iron from your bed or do i dont really care im not your wife....lol

GEDC0100_zpsusg5ra1y.jpg

next remove rear bumper and cross member to access frame in my case they were one as my old bumper was a 1/4" thick piece of angle iron.

GEDC0101_zpsjelmxidf.jpg
GEDC0102_zpsz02mmf6u.jpg
GEDC0103_zpsxfiolkmb.jpg

then disconnect the shackle (make sure suspension is not loaded) cut out lower section and tack the new section in place. you will notice ive made the new piece longer that is to make up for the rusted out section that meets the rear cross member and will be trimmed to the proper length when completed

GEDC0104_zpshfquwn9g.jpg
GEDC0105_zpsh088c78l.jpg
GEDC0106_zpsvwnyoyye.jpg
GEDC0107_zpsr5ibornp.jpg

repeat for the new side section remember to only tack it as you may need to cut grind or other wise modify the pieces being made so that they fit. dont not and i repeat do not fully weld until you are sure that everything fits and is aligned correctly and where you want it.

GEDC0110_zpsipeqbe0l.jpg
GEDC0109_zpsmnifprw9.jpg

more to come in this ongoing saga a word of caution to all you jeepers out there this is a very serious under taking do not attempt this kind of repair unless you are 100% confident in your fabrication and welding skills if you have any doubt at all please seek a qualified professional.

time for some updates sorry for the delay ive been busy.

start by choosing your tools of destruction........errr i mean disassembly
GEDC0108_zpscbvtefpy.jpg

I like your style! Next to my welder, those are the two most commonly used tools in my garage at the moment as well. :D

Great looking work! Makes me really want to get back in the garage again...

I like your style! Next to my welder, those are the two most commonly used tools in my garage at the moment as well. :D

Great looking work! Makes me really want to get back in the garage again...

thanks i use my dewalt demolition tools as much as i can as they get the job done and in a hurry

I hope you use a face shield. I had a cutting wheel snap and slice through my face. That is now one of the most important tools in my garage.

mine too i use to use just glass's but quickly moved to the full face shield and never went back. also i contacted your friend cheif about the rear cross member as that maybe easier than trying to fab one up

mine too i use to use just glass's but quickly moved to the full face shield and never went back. also i contacted your friend cheif about the rear cross member as that maybe easier than trying to fab one up

I was wearing glasses when my accident happened. That was helpful but not enough.

And yes, Jason's crossmember is a great choice.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks