Build Thread 85 CJ-7 frame rebuild

Build Thread 85 CJ-7 frame rebuild

Manic Mechanic

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 4.2L 258 .040 over, T-5 trans, dana 300, dana 30 front 3.23 and lock right locker, rear amc 20 3.23 one piece axle shafts traclock

79 CJ7 304, th400 auto borgwarner 1389?? qudratrac stock rest unknown.

89 YJ 4.2L 258, AX-15 5spd, NP231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear with posi, gears unknown

92 YJ 4.0, AX-15 5spd, np231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear.
ok so after a hard weekend of wheeling and pulling people out of ditch's along the trail my rusty and trusty frame is need of some serious repair. I knew ahead of time that the rear frame was/is rusty and crusty but ive been to busy having fun to take the jeep off the road to fix it. any way now that i have really f-ed it up this weekend i am now forced to fix it (which i should have done a long time ago).

I know i can buy new frame repair pieces for about 100 a side but thats not who i am. i prefer to build and fabricate things on my jeep so im making a trip to the store for some 1/8th inch plate steel and busting out the plasma cutter. I will post some pics as soon as i can and document the build process so stay tuned.

here are the pics of the swiss cheese errrrr, i mean frame.

IMG9501751_zpsxomnmqe6.jpg
IMG9501731_zpsvky9ul5v.jpg
IMG9501711_zpsysiagkwm.jpg
IMG9501691_zpszsklkvpz.jpg
IMG9501741_zps8mn3spua.jpg
IMG9501721_zpsyqrohghn.jpg
IMG9501701_zpslbgkyqvx.jpg
IMG9501681_zpsuychjgab.jpg
IMG9501761_zpsq5ocfb7g.jpg
IMG9501771_zpsqqkascol.jpg
IMG9501781_zpsswswaevp.jpg

stay tuned for the repair and or modifications

Last edited:
Need repair? Naaaa............Well that looks like Junk.............go forward until you find some clean stable frame material and build from there...

im making a trip to the store for some 1/8th inch plate steel
I would recommend 3/16" plate on the outside of the frame and 1/8" on the inside to match whatever good steel is there.

I just did a tj frame that was worse then what you posted.
FYI, if you think CJ frames rot, let me tell you, the 97-04 tj frame are much much worse. They don't have any drain holes! However, they do have a hole in the frame behind the front tire to collect all the road salt, water, and debris. Horrible planning on the tj frames they do not work on the east coast.

I recently crawled under a jk and they designed the drain holes back into the frames like the CJ's have.

Wow, I don't know if its pessimism, or living in West Texas where that kind of rust is non-existant, but if I had a frame in that bad of shape, I would build a new one from scratch before I would try and repair that. That frame is 45% iron oxide and 55% air!!! We have cars around here that have sat in a field since the 1940's that are not that rusty, that is crazy.

Yup, different ball game in the Northeast.
Typically it's only the back half.
tj's it's the complete frame.

Damb I wouldn't even know where to start with that. That really is scary!

tarry99 - gr8dain - yes there is frame there it looks worse than it really is part of the problem is the previous owner (s) did a cheap roll on bed liner on both the tub and frame but did not clean or treat the rust just covered it up. so ya its bad in the rear but the frame it self is really good from the rear axle forward.

Posi - i do have some 3/16 plate steel laying around as well. also in the repair / modification process i plan to build a custom drain into each frame rail and install a diff cover bung so that i can drain and treat the frame after every wheeling trip/submersion in water.

PistolDave - welcome to the northeast better known as the rust belt but i have been restoring muscle cars and building hot rods since i was 16 and own my own shop this nothing ive done cars that i can service the transmission and clean the rear seats without even getting in or under the car the rust was so bad.

Belizean - the only scary part is the chance of lock jaw from Tetanus lucky for me since i do this for a living i stay up to date on my tetanus shots.

Alec79CJ - trouble is im a cheap bastard i wont even spend the money to buy the frame repair patches id rather make them myself although i did look at a few local good clean used frames most were between 6-8 hundred but i can better use that money to upgrade my rear axle or buy a new winch or bumpers or new tires etc etc. plus when im done with it, it will be better than new

here's a link to the last CJ7 i restored and a few pics of that frame when i was done
Bootyrider by Tommy DeGrange | Photobucket

0122021740a.jpg
securedownload2-1.jpg
0122021739a.jpg
0408020935.jpg
0408021233.jpg
0408021017.jpg

Last edited:
I am glad you have the skill and experience to do this job. You are better skilled than me by leaps and bounds. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Hey don't worry about what I or others think. Like gr8dain said, I wish I had your skills also. Also I just got my tetanus booster last year so rust would no scare me either unless it was on my jeep. Best of luck you. Look forward to what you show us in pictures

wow dude thats sweet, Im so jealous on that garage

here are the pics of the swiss cheese errrrr, i mean frame.

IMG9501751_zpsxomnmqe6.jpg
IMG9501731_zpsvky9ul5v.jpg
IMG9501711_zpsysiagkwm.jpg
IMG9501691_zpszsklkvpz.jpg
IMG9501741_zps8mn3spua.jpg
IMG9501721_zpsyqrohghn.jpg
IMG9501701_zpslbgkyqvx.jpg
IMG9501681_zpsuychjgab.jpg
IMG9501761_zpsq5ocfb7g.jpg
IMG9501771_zpsqqkascol.jpg
IMG9501781_zpsswswaevp.jpg

stay tuned for the repair and or modifications

Just get yourself some duct tape, you'll be good as new! :D So what is it about the rear end frame that always seems to get the worst of the rust? I've seen multiple rusted out CJ frames, and it's always worse there. Are the rear tires just throwing up salt from the road?

Last edited:
Just get yourself some duct tape, you'll be good as new! :D So what is it about the rear end frame that always seems to get the worst of the rust? I've seen multiple rusted out CJ frames, and it's always worse there. Are the rear tires just throwing up salt from the road?

water dirt and deb-re get trapped in the rear frame and cant get out there is so-pose to be a drain hole but it usually gets clogged i plan to add a very large drain hole for removing dirt water and for treating the frame after wheeling trips where the frame is submerged or in excessive mud. to be sure that the hole does not weaken the frame im going to reinforce it with a plug and bung for a diff cover example in link below.

https://www.4wd.com/p/blue-torch-fa...=BTFBTF11042&gclid=CPvfrPDZ59MCFcWFswod0N8HsA

ok so here we go with some more pics and progress

some more carnage pics before we begin

GEDC0031_zpsbhsh2ywl.jpg
GEDC0030_zpsnm2hooae.jpg
GEDC0029_zps8ytmpknf.jpg
GEDC0028_zpsxaezb7xp.jpg
GEDC0027_zpsg3hcr3u1.jpg
GEDC0026_zps9cd17jzg.jpg

using a California rust free jeep being built as a template

GEDC0035_zpsbrpfpfwx.jpg
GEDC0034_zps9b9d4e45.jpg
ignore the dryer vent tube and tape thats for exhaust venting

i made some templates using a cheerio's box (see there not just for your health)

GEDC0033_zpsbotverxe.jpg
GEDC0032_zpslgvmw8tz.jpg

plate steel cut and bent using high heat (torch) and then checked with yet another cheerio's template

GEDC0036_zps476lde1b.jpg
GEDC0037_zpsfejsqwia.jpg

next the new piece is checked against the frame to make sure it matches the contour then set aside to await later use.

GEDC0039_zpss026weqe.jpg
GEDC0038_zpslojrqa9n.jpg

stay tuned for more

while you wait for future updates here are a few pics of some other projects floating around the garage fighting for money time and attention.

GEDC0045_zpsmm3tnkx8.jpg
GEDC0044_zpsopbpvq1e.jpg
GEDC0043_zpseydk19s0.jpg
GEDC0042_zpsneg9ngo5.jpg
GEDC0040_zpsi48rjxrc.jpg
GEDC0022_zpsf3o9kfjy.jpg
GEDC0025_zps8aimnhve.jpg
GEDC0023_zpsflr8wqz6.jpg
GEDC0024_zpsl9thjlgr.jpg

I vote for the 74 & 85 get the love & money :)

I vote for the 74 & 85 get the love & money :)

not a chevy fan I see. its all good it aint mine anyway its just taking up space and time but it does bring some money in.

not a chevy fan I see. its all good it aint mine anyway its just taking up space and time but it does bring some money in.

I like their trucks. I feel they lost their way with cars a few decades back except with maybe 1 or 2 models here or there

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks