Build Thread 79 Cj-7 crawler build

Build Thread 79 Cj-7 crawler build
Awesome news!

I'll work on getting clean fuel to the carb next. I got a little video of it but it just cranked. Of course once the camera was away it ran for a bit on the fuel in the carb. Then I'll start cleaning up the engine compartment and get the white paint out again. Once I figure out the video hosting I'll post it.

Did you use a metal clip to jump the neutral switch?

That's great news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use a metal clip to jump the neutral switch?

Glad you asked. The pic below was what I dug out of the wiring harness. Previous owner was obviously a fisherman.

IMG_20170727_170259652_zps0ryiwixg.jpg

Right now I m using a Automatic column with the neutral safety switch in the right position selector wise. I have multiple columns here and haven't decided on one yet.

IMG_20170727_172955987_zpsvgbo2t8y.jpg

Taking a day off from the Cj today. Thunderstorms all around us right now anyways.

When you weld the tubes to the housing. Preheat the area good with a LPG torch or use a 'rose-bud'. Use a 1013 'mud' rod if 'stick' or .035 flux-core for wire feed, and lay 1" bead then skip 1" etc.
The axle tubes on those rear 20's are thin and bend easy(why I went to a Ford 9":D). I suggest an above tube axle truss made from 1 1/4-1 1/2 .125 wall tubing. Use a doubler plate where you attach to the axle tube.
LG

When you weld the tubes to the housing. Preheat the area good with a LPG torch or use a 'rose-bud'. Use a 1013 'mud' rod if 'stick' or .035 flux-core for wire feed, and lay 1" bead then skip 1" etc.
The axle tubes on those rear 20's are thin and bend easy(why I went to a Ford 9":D). I suggest an above tube axle truss made from 1 1/4-1 1/2 .125 wall tubing. Use a doubler plate where you attach to the axle tube.
LG

It'll be a little while before I can get to the axle build. I really wanted a T-18A and I have someone helping me out with one. It's just a little tough over the Summer. Packing in alot of Summer vacation time this year. Been on 3 camping trips and a week in Cape May Nj. Still have 3 more camping trips planned and one more week at a yet unknown beach destination. Got my 4th week of paid vacation this year and I'm taking full advantage of it. Plans are to have the T-18 here by Labor day. The good news is there's plenty more to keep me busy till then.

Separate topic...

How'd you get Photobucket to work? I refuse to pay the $400.

Mine never went into hostage mode like alot of other people are dealing with. Probably cause I really don't use it other than for here.

Forgot to add got the Cj running off a gas can yesterday , at least for a few minutes. Then I smelled gas and saw the return line to the tank rotted off. Then it rotted off in another spot , both rusted metal lines. When I touched the rubber line between the two breaks my hands were instantly coated in black. I shut it down and won't be restarting it until I replace all the lines front to rear.

Last edited:
I decided I'd keep moving forward with the bodywork and Rust-Oleum white. In order to do that I had to spend about 3 hours cleaning. Figured I'd grab some pics while I was at it.

Before:

IMG_20170410_165526943_HDR_zpso31y7nin.jpg

After:

IMG_20170801_195605668_HDR_zpsvnwhozba.jpg

IMG_20170801_195532001_HDR_zpsdopiyexo.jpg

I used oven cleaner under the hood and somehow came up with this interesting shade of green. It did come clean though:

IMG_20170801_182512209_zpscrvpsj6f.jpg

IMG_20170801_182521905_zpsyarqa0ls.jpg

Cleaned up:

IMG_20170801_195545196_HDR_zpsdq1pkt1t.jpg

I had all the body parts out to clean as well but no after pics. Didn't think of it till I already loaded them back in the garage.

IMG_20170801_184422992_zps5iscj0cu.jpg

IMG_20170801_184437979_zps0n8360qp.jpg

I would say typical East Coast floors but these are actually better:

IMG_20170510_193914601_zpsmvyis1ny.jpg

Got the rear seat and home carpet out as well:

IMG_20170801_184501155_zpsyecy06ft.jpg

IMG_20170801_195747658_HDR_zpsr1y0vnpp.jpg

And sadly got rid of my herb garden:

IMG_20170801_181321949_zpsh9jltspn.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good, thanks for the update!

Looking good!

Thanks everyone. Had a great weekend of Camping despite getting rained on the last day. Nothing like tearing down camp in the rain. It's going to be a slow month on the build. The next two weeks I'm working 3-3 and it's my weekend to work , then a week at the beach and Labor day Camping trip the week after. I'm still going to try and get a little body and paint work done when time permits. I'll try and update some soon.

looking good Pete - I like the white!

:chug:

looking good Pete - I like the white!

:chug:

I really wanted to have at least one white part pictured here but it wasn't to be. Cleaning and setting up a good work area with descent lighting took up my time today. Next post will have some kind of progress lol.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks