Build Thread 79 Cj-7 crawler build

Build Thread 79 Cj-7 crawler build
Another oddity is this custom thermostat housing bolt.

IMG_20170422_180017842_zps05fv5dvv.jpg

Of course I don't know why I was surprised considering how mis matched this whole Jeep is. Here's the crapped out battery tray that was harboring some type of rodent.

IMG_20170422_175800204_zpsdt0qefuf.jpg

I got a chance to start getting the interior out so I can get rid of the hideous house carpet.

IMG_20170510_191919500_zpsfb5mxbyv.jpg

Usually a carpeted Cj that's sat for years has a toasted tub in these parts. Thankfully the hardtop and hard doors kept a fairly decent deal. There's a little rocker rot on the passenger side. Some pinholes in the passenger foot well as well but overall a pretty solid tub.

IMG_20170510_193914601_zpsmvyis1ny.jpg

I have to admit I was a little bummed from the responses I got about my color choice.
Alot of my buddies and even Vicki were like "White"? I've had numerous black Cjs , red , yellow ,green , blue and even orange. I just wanted something different. I figured I'd at least clean it up and see what I thought. Here's the rusty mess I started with: IMG_20170708_193324584_zps7fypzncq.jpg

I decided to clean up the frame first and paint it Black again. The rear axle , springs and shackles will be discarded along with the exhaust so disregard them.

IMG_20170710_173224303_zpspui7bdcm.jpg
The frame came out pretty nice after some muscle and wire wheels. It's solid. Looks good after some Rustoleum.

IMG_20170710_173718516_zpsvphyheie.jpg

White is a great choice for a CJ. :notworthy:
LG

White is a great choice for a CJ. :notworthy:
LG
I thought so too. When I started I wasn't sure if I was going to do the wheel well black or white. I went with the white like the factory would've. In process of painting:

IMG_20170710_184943463_HDR_zpsofuwkb9n.jpg

IMG_20170710_192124671_zpsjefajh8l.jpg

And here's as far as 1 can could take me:

IMG_20170711_174536404_zpsaprpjwln.jpg

So technically I'm not supposed to be buying parts for this Jeep yet. Well a friend of mine had some parts I needed for $100.

Earlier I explained that whoever did the 258 /T-176/Dana 300 swap left the offset AMC20 from the Auto/Quadratrac combo in the Jeep. Now I have a replacement Dana 30 and the correct centered AMC20 with 3.73s to work with.

IMG_20170722_161335785_zpseee5rw57.jpg

Now I know there's going to be questions why the AMC20 and not a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8? Simple answer is when I'm done it'll be just as strong and I won't have as much in it as I would the others. You'll just have to wait and see.

Not only did I get my axles for that $100 but I got pair of usable front fenders as well. They have some surface rust and need a little massaging in parts but will work nicely till I go tube fenders down the road.

IMG_20170722_161358329_zpshw043hxx.jpg

Last edited:
I would recommend not to weld a continues bead between the axle tube and diff, 4 evenly spaced beads adds less stress when the tube flexes. Good price on the axles.

Now I know there's going to be questions why the AMC20 and not a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8? Simple answer is when I'm done it'll be just as strong and I won't have as much in it as I would the others. You'll just have to wait and see.[/QUOTE]

Are you going to do some welding on the axels and a truss?

I would recommend not to weld a continues bead between the axle tube and diff, 4 evenly spaced beads adds less stress when the tube flexes. Good price on the axles.

Stitch welds all the way. From what I understand a continuous weld can comprise the tube strength as well. Can't afford that with a AMC20 for sure.

Are you going to do some welding on the axels and a truss?

Yes a truss will be added along with the stitch welding of the axle tubes. That should make up for the thinner wall tubes of the AMC20. I'll show my math to explain in another post.

Looks sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many cans of spray paint do you think it will take to paint all of it?

How many cans of spray paint do you think it will take to paint all of it?

After looking at it a little closer lately and considering I'm doing the floors and engine compartment at least a dozen. Maybe more since the white doesn't cover that well. I'll tally them up as I go along. I've been trying to get the motor to turn over using the key now. So far I have a "click" which is actually progress lol.

After looking at it a little closer lately and considering I'm doing the floors and engine compartment at least a dozen. Maybe more since the white doesn't cover that well. I'll tally them up as I go along. I've been trying to get the motor to turn over using the key now. So far I have a "click" which is actually progress lol.

Sweet you will get there, I am considering spray bombing mine tan after I get it to move under its own power. That way it won't be 10 different colors til I'm ready to do the real paint job

After swapping a few batteries and starters along with a starter solenoid I finally figured out why the Cj wouldn't turn over. It was a Automatic swapped to a manual. The automatic column uses a neutral safety switch that was slightly out of position. For the first time in 13 years this engine turned over on it's own. Today was a great day.

After swapping a few batteries and starters along with a starter solenoid I finally figured out why the Cj wouldn't turn over. It was a Automatic swapped to a manual. The automatic column uses a neutral safety switch that was slightly out of position. For the first time in 13 years this engine turned over on it's own. Today was a great day.

Awesome news!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks