Build Thread '76 CJ5 build

Build Thread '76 CJ5 build

crust

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76/'79 CJ5, '00 cherokee, '94 YJ, '98 altima
Here is a write up on the build of my dad's and my '76 CJ.
first_step_134871.jpg

It is not going to be fast paced, but I will cover as much as possible. It will be mostly stock set-up for now until all the bugs get worked out.

The list of some work/repairs to be done is as follows.

new tires and wheels; done , 235/85R16 Dayton Mud
new carb; done Redline/Weber conversion 2bb
replace rear main seal; done
new body and fenders;
front axle and disc brakes;
complete rewire/ remove wire-nuts:dung:;
rear axle(AMC20 out, Dana 30 in)
custom bumpers
More to be added when found and funded:D.

I will be reviewing the carb install soon.

Sounds like a great thread. Can't wait to follow it. I plan on doing the same with my CJ makeover...

Im just curious. I am not very educated on the CJ5's, so forgive my ignorance. Why swap out the 20. I was told the ring and pinions are actually a slight bit bigger than a Dana 44. And with a one piece axle conversion, they are supposed to be pretty stout. I have a 20 in my CJ7 and plan to do a 1 piece conversion, a detroit locker, and gusset the tubes. Is there a weak spot i should know about the 20? Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious about the swap. BTW, the jeep looks awesome now, can't wait to see it when done. Definately keep everyone updated!

Took it out to play and after 20 min the thing died. Fonud the fuel filter before the electric fuel pump was dry. So we towed it home and once it was in front of the garage it fired no problem. Now to drop the fuel tank and clean it or replace it. I love my new $X$. Pics and info on the carb install this weekend.

P.S. Projectcrawler, thanks for the complement on the jeep. But I took the pic from so far away for a reason.:(

Im just curious. I am not very educated on the CJ5's, so forgive my ignorance. Why swap out the 20. I was told the ring and pinions are actually a slight bit bigger than a Dana 44. And with a one piece axle conversion, they are supposed to be pretty stout. I have a 20 in my CJ7 and plan to do a 1 piece conversion, a detroit locker, and gusset the tubes. Is there a weak spot i should know about the 20? Not trying to hijack the thread, just curious about the swap. BTW, the jeep looks awesome now, can't wait to see it when done. Definately keep everyone updated!
Oops.. Missed this post. I wouldn't say the 20 has a beefier R&P then the 44 but I would say they are both comparable. The 20's R&P is larger though. You hit on the 20's weekness though, the housing and the axles. If swap in a set of one piece axles and some tube welding and you have a great axle setup.

Here is a great write up I had book marked on FourWheeler.com on the pro's and con's of the 20 vs 44 debate. Corporate 20 vs. Dana 44 Differentials - Technical Articles - Four Wheeler Magazine

Yep I have done a little research and think sticking with the 20 is which way iam going for now. The one piece axle kit is under $200 and Ox Locker has a locker for the 20. Welding is no biggie so it will also get sleeved and trussed.

CJ, thanks for the link very good info.

Ok, got the fuel tank down(tweaked my back pouring the last 9gal into fuel cans) two weeks ago. Got back to it today. Started cleaning up athe tank mount/skid plate and strap. Ground off most of the rust. I am going to acid treat then paint 'em. Found the tank was not too old, no :dung: inside and pick-up screen is intact. So, I picked up a new pump and some hose. here are some pics of the rust we get to deal with. We will probabily replace the frame at some point.

gedc0002.jpg

gedc0003.jpg

The rust on the skid plate is thicker that it looks.

Sorry to hear about your back...

That sure looked like a bitch! Sounds like your moving along again! :)

Yep, gettin' older sucks. I was out of work for two days laying on heat and ice. But now I will be able to replace the wiring for the fuel pump and reroute the fuel lines as well.

I'd swear you took a pic of my gas tank skidplate. Mine looked the same. I coated it with Por-15 and it came out just as good as this crossmember. Por-15 - Jeep-CJ Reviews It would help that frame too! www.por15.com

76's are great, I got 2 of them....
The 44 swap interests me, as of right now, I still have the 20's in the rear.

cb

Ok, got some stuff done last week. Got the Tank and skid plate cleaned, painted/"zero rust" (respectively) and reinstalled with new custom hard line all the way up and over to the left side of the motor. I bent this from a coil of hose I got from Napa. It will get a small soft line between the frame and body. Mounted the new electric fuel pump and wired it with a new lighted switch. Now it no longer runs straight from the batt with a switched ground and no fuse:eek:. Also dropped, etched and "zero rust" treated the cross-member. Used "Jasco Metal Etch" for pre-treating the skid plate and cross-member. Started by steam cleaning the cross-member. Then doing a rough clean of skid plate, tank strap and cross-member using a wire cup brush on a 4" grinder. Next treated all but tank with the Jasco. Weather held out for the SP and strap then snowed on the cross-member. Only the temp. might have affected the reaction first night was 44* next night was 31* w/snow. All parts came out the same good rust removal/neutralization. Coated with "zero rust" them all on the third night and it as a toasty 35*. This might have helped with the ZR being the consistency of corn syrup. Only did one coat and it flowed and cured pretty well. The tank got hand sanded and sprayed with DuPont "Rust Fix" which sprays on clear and turns the rust to a flat black "primer". After drying it got a gloss black paint top coat. Gotta have the wife school me on using the camera. Only a few shot came out good. Here are the ones that kinda came out. The SP and cross-member look similar to Prolectcrawler's.

Here is the fuel line with the flared ends

fuel_line.jpg

flare.jpg

and the tank after "Rust Fix" dried

fuel_tank.jpg

Oh yea, I had to weld a new bolt to the end of the tank strap and only tack welded the cross-member to the frame pending new mount brackets. Due to the fact of all the nuts and bolts being rusted beyond saving. And needing to clear the garage to get the WJ in for a new fuel pump.

Last edited:
Your making great progress. The flare looks real good. It's won't be too long and you'll be tooling around in that CJ!

Yes i forgot to mention it fired on the first shot. So I figured I could use the old fuel pump to drain the tank in the WJ:laugh:. It gave about an ounce a minute. Pulled out of the garage this morning, nice and rich. So, tuning the carb and catching up with that part of the write-up.

I found this old thread and thought I'd post a pic of my 76 CJ5 restoration project. It started in '02 with a total pile of junk that I dragged out of a barn a few miles from here. A year and about $15k later I had a killer Jeep, but I would have save a lot of dough had I just towed it to the junk yard. Nothing on it actually worked as it should, and I doubt there's any way to tell how many hours went into bringing the little guy back to life. Regardless, if could have been broken, work out, trashed, neglected, beat, you name it, this CJ5 had it.

Now it's standing tall and although it stays in the garage most of the time, when it does get to come out & play it's a total blast. It also proves there's no limit to what a nut can do with time, money and a pile of junk. Hope this give the OP some inspiration, it can be done!

CJ9-1-03A.png

It's actually known as "El Diablo", the devil, because it had so many problems. Fortunately, one of them wasn't rust or it would have been hopeless. I still need an original roll cage for it and few other items, but it really is one of those fun old vehicles you can be happy you put back on the road.

It's actually known as "El Diablo", the devil, because it had so many problems. Fortunately, one of them wasn't rust or it would have been hopeless. I still need an original roll cage for it and few other items, but it really is one of those fun old vehicles you can be happy you put back on the road.

Maybe I could call this one Lou as in Lucifer. It is a hole pile of Hell except the motor is pretty strong so far.

Your '76 gives me inspiration to finish. I will be making some real progress as soon as the weather figures out what the heck it is going to do.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom