Build Thread '76 CJ5 351w Swap

Build Thread '76 CJ5 351w Swap
I love seeing the bellhousing painted engine color, but again you will be the only to see it

You read my mind...I followed up with a couple coats of blue so it matches the engine.

I don't know how many times that I've parked with a bunch of Jeep fans and a couple of them hit the ground to look underneath. True story.

I don't know how many times that I've parked with a bunch of Jeep fans and a couple of them hit the ground to look underneath. True story.

Well ya..... everything you wanna know and is important about a Jeep is under the body lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headers from Advance Adapters came in. I'd say decent quality for the price.

I'm sending them off to Jet Hot to get them coated. It's a bit pricey, but reviews are top notch and they have a great guarantee. I just don't want to mess with having to recoat...ever.

Fit is perfect for the MORE motor mounts too. I was a bit worried because AA said they don't guarantee fitment on any other motor mount other than theirs. 89bf163048ac7070d4ea69c0001e2634.jpg

Sent via Google translate using braille through Tapatalk

Good choice ! I did the same to my headers, out here it's Olympic Coatings. It's the best, never will discolor or they will recoat it for free.
The only issue I had was the mount bolt had to be installed head toward the header as there wouldn't have enough room once the bolt was tighten down and not hit the header.

Just found out it's a 30-day turnaround for the 2000deg coating. 2-3 weeks for the 1200. I guess I can wait...

Yup, mine was about 2 weeks or so, but it's definitely worth it. Repainting them every couple of years really sucks.

Braved the heat and dropped the motor in today. I used the MORE motor mounts. It looks a little too far back, so I'm going to get in touch with them tomorrow and make sure I have the mounts on correctly.

The PS pump is too close to the steering shaft, so I'll have to adjust it almost all the way in to make room... it'll require a new belt...that's what I get for guessing where everything should go before I drop it in. Got a little ahead of myself.

It's a million degrees out right now, so I'm calling it a day. 7addc886eb6c49755b5b0bf186f9ebfd.jpgced1554043fa5677148e389d5a3450ac.jpg7f34689c0a9bf78a00da6ad672fae9ad.jpgf91cba74ea194787d7ff8e64e192b583.jpg4fea7bd38e6ad0fe79985713b2b10393.jpg

So do the MORE mounts go into the original holes that were in the framework ? I have the MORE mounts also. I'm going from the 4 cyl to the 258, just have not got quite to that yet

Yes, they go in the original bolt holes for the mounts.

I doubt it’s to far back, the stock AMC V8 is pretty close to the firewall as well, you will need to look at distance between water pump and radiator

There is always afew glitches along the way, but it's coming along nicely.

Without mocking up the grill, there will be plenty of room. I'm going with an electric fan, so there's that.

The hoist that I borrowed didn't lift the engine high enough, so I had to take the front bumper and tires of and dropped the front end. Minor hitch, but we got it squared away. 37714e1c64d6156796c42fcac16ebb75.jpg8e2068533d395656bc6edd08ce446589.jpg

Few more things came in today...radiator and electric fans/shroud from Northern Radiator. Everything fit like a glove. Holes were pre-drilled in the shroud or radiator, but they did provide 6 small stainless self tapping machine screws. They were tiny, so I used some #10 sheet metal screws. 3 on top, 3 on bottom. Radiator went in easily, even though my front clip is a little warped.

Definitely going to get a bug guard. My old radiator got pummeled pretty good by the bugs.

3100f906335ddfdf4a51d19991d782ca.jpga2ead9e473c356ce6a543106cebb1bae.jpgc23e749a30caaeba72603e1d67c2f0aa.jpg

Got a duplicate pic in there210642cab66af2381e0d9154a1c91242.jpg

Since my PS pump was sitting right on the steering shaft, I called CVF Racing...the folks I got the v belt system from...and asked if they had any kind of pre-fabricated solution. They said their bracket for the 351C should work. It was a little pricey, but I was stuck between a rock and a hard place.
The new bracket came in today and after messing around with spacers and washers, I got it to fit just right. Ran to the parts store to grab a bigger belt to accommodate for the higher placement, and I got it all fit in.
The stock (304) high pressure PS hose fit like a dream. I had to cut down the return line a bit for it to fit. e48fdb865922ac3eb2d8a98dde3b437b.jpg54c25418d467a5ba5a7af49776522119.jpg

Last up today was fitting the Sniper on the intake. I splurged and got a nice throttle bracket from FAST (Fuel Air Spark Technologies). It comes with every possible throttle cable bracket, so there's no guessing or fabricating. Also comes with various kick down brackets for those with automatics.
The throttle cable bracket can slide up and down the mount to fit your application perfectly.
075295c8dcaea48042a045cfbcc6fcdd.jpg06abad9f8b92a7ebcfaeaa82f6122658.jpgeeba566549cd2576017bd1183e999625.jpg

Looking good ! Where is the Northern radiator made ? This is what I use to protect mine from bugs and everything else thrown at my radiator. This is my spare that I have been hanging onto for 25 years. The original has lasted almost 35 years and is worn, but still works. Probably found it in the J C Whitney catalog back in the day. They were the go to company back then image.jpegimage.jpeg

I assumed they were made in the USA, but after doing a little more research, it looks like it could be made here or in China. I looked all over the radiator and the boxes, and couldn't find a "made in" sticker or stamp. So who knows.
I did give it a solid inspection after pulling it out of the box...welds are great nothing looks janky. Going to be a few weeks before I find out how it cools.
Waiting for the headers to come back from Jet Hot.
Got a call from Herm today...should be getting my T18/Dana 20 twin stick combo soon.

Looks great

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks