Build Thread 3rd time down the rabbit hole...

Build Thread 3rd time down the rabbit hole...
I used a piece of a shower stall for the backing plate and piece of flashing for the shroud. The fiberglass is just flexible enough while offering a nice degree of strength. Waiting on extra large flanged pop rivets to show up so I can pop rivet the shroud. A little black paint and I'll be done.

Attachments

• fanshroud5.jpg
    fanshroud5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 25
  • fanshroud7.jpg
    fanshroud7.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 25
  • fanshroud6.jpg
    fanshroud6.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 22
I like your mock up process for fan shroud. Thinking I might be in same boat and Novak specific items are pricey! I like the thought on home made

I like your mock up process for fan shroud. Thinking I might be in same boat and Novak specific items are pricey! I like the thought on home made

The shroud came out pretty nice. I'll post a pict just fun, not sure if I will use it or not with the LS swap I'm going to. I am undecided as to use a fixed fan or electric. If I go fixed I think I can make it work.

Here's how it all went to hell. I tried to use that long block I bought with that white Jeep. Went to W Texas, had my back up mechanic do the install while I was gone. Came back got started to do the break in, during the entire 200 miles of that, it became evident we were not gonna get any oil pressure. Pulled the oil pan and found metal shavings and bits, pulled a couple of the main bearing caps found the bearings was ate the fawk up. Well there's your problem Sonny! Yes, there was oil in it. So it was decided to rebuild it. Pulled the engine and to the machine shop. I was getting some parts on my end for some upgrades. Things rocked along OK, until their original parts estimate doubled. Then I threw a rod. Did some soul searching and chose to get away from the 360 and go LS. After doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result I'm done. GM parts are everywhere, hell I bet grandma has some in her garage.

Disclaimer here, please don't think I'm bent up. In the long run I was gonna go LS anyway. I just get to do it now. Which may work out OK, since all my tools and stuff are easy to get to and not packed up.

Any of guys have a LS (98-2003) drive by cable laying around?

man i sure hate to hear that your motor took a dump thats super frustrating

man i sure hate to hear that your motor took a dump thats super frustrating

But wait check this out. My truck took the victory. Got rear ended while cruising over to the machine shop. Well I sorta won; the wreck bent my bumper and receiver hitch. Both of which will need to be replaced, oh and broke the license plate light.

Attachments

• wreck3.jpg
    wreck3.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 20
  • wreck5.jpg
    wreck5.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 25
Wow just wow, you are not having any good luck with your machinist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the machinist, its all the non driving types from point A to point B. I was acting my age for once and doing all the right things like no cell, using blinkers, speed limit and still got whacked. I'm glad it was the truck instead of the corvette. Will be going to the engine builder this afternoon by different route.

It's not the machinist, its all the non driving types from point A to point B. I was acting my age for once and doing all the right things like no cell, using blinkers, speed limit and still got whacked. I'm glad it was the truck instead of the corvette. Will be going to the engine builder this afternoon by different route.

I recommend bubble wrap lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She can't gimme no flak, she's been drooling over custom tile for a week now. To her credit, not one time ever has she anything about spending on jeep or boat parts. If it's a wristwatch, I get a forehead scowl sometimes.

Attachments

• grim reap.jpg
    grim reap.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 23
started my fuel tank modifications, more pictures later

Attachments

• fuel tk mod1.jpg
    fuel tk mod1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 22
  • fuel tk mod7.jpg
    fuel tk mod7.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 18
  • fuel tk mod2.jpg
    fuel tk mod2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 19
  • fuel tk mod9.jpg
    fuel tk mod9.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 16
mock up picts. used the skid plate to mount the external pump, used the cross member above mufflers to mount the filter/so called regulator, then ran the hose through the channel towards the firewall and popped out with plenty of room and hose. tomorrow I'll tighten everything down, hook up grounds, add some rub/chafe protection, etc.

Attachments

• fuel tk mod10.jpg
    fuel tk mod10.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 18
  • fuel tk mod12.jpg
    fuel tk mod12.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
  • fuel tk mod13.jpg
    fuel tk mod13.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 18
  • fuel tk mod14.jpg
    fuel tk mod14.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 17
  • fuel tk mod15.jpg
    fuel tk mod15.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 17
We have some FLIR at work for diagnosing problems. What is your hose made of ?

mock up picts. used the skid plate to mount the external pump, used the cross member above mufflers to mount the filter/so called regulator, then ran the hose through the channel towards the firewall and popped out with plenty of room and hose. tomorrow I'll tighten everything down, hook up grounds, add some rub/chafe protection, etc.

Love anodized AN fittings!

Tightened up all the fittings. Hooked up the grounds. Ran the power to the external pump. I hid the wire inside the frame from the firewall all the way to the back and pulled in a spare wire just in case there is a need in the future. made a hole over the fuel sending unit when the day comes I need to replace. cut up strips of inner tube for rub/chafe protection where needed. made a template for the auto trans cooler brackets (that will be tmrw's project most likely). back welded the bolts that the fuel pump bolts up to-no back up wrench needed. 2" muffler clamps were better than the wimpy clamps MSD sent. also used a 2 1/2" clamp for the regulator and finally got the right plan for my aux fuel tank. sorta a busy day.

Remember these measurements were made on my 79 CJ7 with 15 gallon tank. Your results may vary.

Attachments

• fuel tk mod16.jpg
    fuel tk mod16.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 19
  • fuel tk mod17.jpg
    fuel tk mod17.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 17
  • fuel tk mod18.jpg
    fuel tk mod18.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
We have some FLIR at work for diagnosing problems. What is your hose made of ?

I didn't get a brand name from the speed shop because I bought it by the foot. But I'm guessing it's a some type of standard hi pressure rubber line with a braid over it. I did use Redhorse fittings, which I'd recommend. Easy to use and plenty of options. If one doesn't like red and blue hot rod fuel hose offers some other options.

https://www.redhorseperformance.com/

https://hotrodfuelhose.com/

Last edited:
Big block power! as an after thought I shoulda painted it Chevrolet orange. I had a small block, but I used it when I unhooked the lowboy.

Attachments

• big block.jpg
    big block.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom