1st Annual Jeep-CJ Rubicon Trail Ride - planning thread

1st Annual Jeep-CJ Rubicon Trail Ride - planning thread
Please add Gary and Sharron, they have been on the last 2 Moab trail runs.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great! More the merrier!

1: Jr
2: Cameron (Jr's Brother)
3: Oakie72CJ5 (Jr's Uncle)
4: Shelby (Jr's buddy in a explorer)
5: Coldair
6: Posi
7: BlueRocket (Bobby)
8: Bass & OJL
9: Shooby
10: Bill D & Carol
11: 007
12: Gary and Sharron

Maybe(s):

1: jfmcj7

Let me know if anything has changed for anyone.

Also, link to current plan for the get together "Trail Ride" is here (post # 17) - https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100/...tml#post275747

Still welcoming new signups, and available by phone to talk out stuff with anyone as well - PM me for my phone number if you don't have it.

Read more: https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100...anning-thread-31511/index4.html#ixzz6Byi04rGn

Oakie here. Finally joined! Looking forward to this.
Welcome to the forum Oakie. Looking forward to seeing and wheeling with you again this September. Better yet, meet me in Moab April 20th for a week of wheeling!

Just to update and add to the planning here - remember again the closest grocery store with reasonable selection and prices (CA prices are unreasonable already to most of you) will be about 45 minutes away. As such, ice chests and ice are a must for food and drinks.

When meal planning, here is a basic layout (trail ride week only for now):

We'll have, and you can bring too if able, cooking equipment in main camp. We'll share whatever equipment wise - BBQ space, stove space, coffer percolators, etc. We'll also have a small amount of trail cooking gear. We'll coordinate this a bit more as we get closer and see the needs of everyone.

When I say "one pan type meals" Think of a stir fry veggie meat sauce combo meal that you do all in one pan, vs pork chops, corn, mashed potatoes, pasta etc in multiple pans. Again, as we coordinate better, especially when we meet up, we can fine tune this to ensure everyone is ready for meals before, or evaluate / get stuff on Tuesday free day.

Monday 9/7 - Camp breakfast and dinner, trail type icebox lunch no cooking gear (typically - you could potentially if you want do burgers or dogs etc)

Tuesday 9/8 - Camp breakfast and dinner, lunch either way as it's a pretty open plan day.

Wednesday 9/9 - Easy camp breakfast, as we're leaving early (wake up super early if you want bacon and eggs type so we can be all cleaned up and ready to hit the trail early - 7-8AM at the latest, if not earlier - we'll decide) Trail lunch, easy trail cook dinner "one pan type meals" (we won't be back in main camp - staying on trail)

Thursday 9/10 - Trail Breakfast through dinner - easy one pan type stuff / no cook type stuff if desired.

Friday 9/11 - Trail type breakfast, maybe a road / fast food type lunch if everything goes right, and back at main camp dinner.

From there, we'll be evaluating who will be staying longer and can decide on food / drink needs and shop for remaining plans.

Good ice chests that keep cold and don't waste ice too quickly are important.

For those traveling far with Limited space, talk with me and we'll work stuff out on cooking gear, ice chests, general camping supplies, etc.

Let me know questions. I believe Posi has found another possible attendee for this with some trail experience as well. Should be a great time.

~ Cheers :chug: - Jr

I believe Posi has found another possible attendee for this with some trail experience as well. Jr
Please add Warren R from Reno

Please add Warren R from Reno

Great! More the merrier!

13: Warren R from Reno

Maybe(s):

Let me know if anything has changed for anyone.

Also, link to current plan for the get together "Trail Ride" is here (post # 17) - https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100/...tml#post275747

Still welcoming new signups, and available by phone to talk out stuff with anyone as well - PM me for my phone number if you don't have it.

Read more: https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100...anning-thread-31511/index5.html#ixzz6GUYa89bt

As of now, here is the list we're assuming will be coming. Please let me know if anyone has changed their minds. Obviously things are liquid right now with COVID-19 issues and know some may be thinking of cancelling for financial or other reasons.

Maybe(s):

Let me know if anything has changed for anyone. I'm sending in a reservation request to Rubicon Springs later today to get something on the schedule.

In addition, I'm kicking around the idea of changing up the itinerary slightly. Instead of Tuesday rest and explore day, I'm thinking of moving that to the start actual through trail trip day instead of Wednesday, and we exit on Thursday and Friday will then be the rest and relax / fix stuff / explore day. Then those who plan to leave to hit the MOAB rescheduled run, or have some other responsibilities can relax before travel or get a earlier start in the day.

I don't think there will be much issue with this for any of you, but please let me know if so. Anyone wanting to spend a bit more time in the CA mountains, note we'll be there Thursday 9/3 as of now, before the trip getting camp situated etc.

Stay safe out there all - cheers!

~ Jr

JR
What would be your thoughts/opinion of pulling a Jeep trailer over the Rubicon ?
I know a group that have pulled trailers over Dusy, and I personally have done the Coyote Lake/Red Lake trail pulling my Jeep trailer.

Not saying I will or would, just wanted your opinion please.

JR
What would be your thoughts/opinion of pulling a Jeep trailer over the Rubicon ?
I know a group that have pulled trailers over Dusy, and I personally have done the Coyote Lake/Red Lake trail pulling my Jeep trailer.

Not saying I will or would, just wanted your opinion please.

Quick reply, the right driver and right trailer set up, yes. But it's difficult.

FYI all - If I'm unable to post or reply from here forward for any reason, I'll continue to communicate through the email thread started.

Be well all

Hagar - you have my number - call me later if want to discuss a bit more on the trailer subject.

Hello all,

So slight change in plan for what each day, not dates of the trip.

Here's my new plan for a few reasons:

First - some of us will be in the mountains already by Wednesday evening before this trip. So you can plan your arrivals anytime within that zone. As we get closer, I'll ask everyone to let me know approximately how they're doing on travel and expected arrival windows so I can ensure I know if something may be wrong and someone needs help. More on that later.

9/7 (Monday) - We'll get the rigs ready with a once over, and after everyone has finished breakfast / clean up we'll take a through the woods back trail if early enough still, then enter the Rubicon Trail through the Old original entrance. We'll play by ear and how the rigs and drivers are doing, eat lunch on the trail, and be back for a dinner at base camp exiting the way we came, or through the other "entrance" doing the loop. This will be anywhere from 6 to 8 hours of trail time depending on the group and if issues arise.

9/8 (Tuesday) - We'll leave camp early with Trail breakfast snack and lunch. The plan is to go approximately 7.6 Miles taking our time and checking stuff out as we go. We'll arrive (hopefully) early afternoon in Rubicon Springs. There is a small per rig fee to camp in Rubicon Springs, but it's worth it. This will be a only what you pack in the jeep camp. We'll coordinate meal options etc soon. With any luck we'll be relaxing around a fire pit and laughing about the day of wheeling we just did. More on the Rubicon Springs camping below.

9/9 (Wednesday) - I'm tentatively leaving this as a hang around Rubicon springs, head back in for wheeling fun on obstacles we may have skipped the previous day due to time, etc day. Plan is to see who wants to do what and split up if desired. I can also take a group out the rest of the trail that doesn't want to camp another night on the trail, then head back in myself to meet up with the rest of the group again &/or grab any emergency supplies. We'll finalize details there based on needs and desires of the group and again can split if needed.

9/10 (Thursday) - Official exit through the Tahoe side of the trail. This "shouldn't" take long, so we'll be able to hopefully check out Lake Tahoe a bit, refuel and get on highway 50 back to main camp where we started.

9/11 (Friday) - This will be the day some are leaving early to make the trip to Moab. For the rest of us, there are some lakes and trails to check out, and / or if people need help with anything we'll get them set and ready for trips home. Some have expressed interest in remaining longer to make the most of a long trip, so we will plan out what we still want to do in the coming days if needed from there.

Rubicon Springs "campground" info:

I have reserved us some VIP room at the Rubicon Springs private property. We will individually owe them $25 / rig (not per person) total for the 2 nights. They prefer cash payment, and do not accept plastic of any kind (no cards CC or debit). I would advise against checks if possible, if for no other reason than it may take some time to be processed from your bank.

I spoke to them yesterday. The group cooking pit is available for use by us. More on that later in case we want to eat steaks / grilled veggies etc. They expressed the need to bring your own toilet paper if at all possible as current shortages could impact them having enough to supply visitors. We will need to bring our own fresh water of course. They will have fire wood for us.

The property is very nice and we should have areas right next to the water.

On the subject of restrooms. The trail does have a few vault toilet facilities throughout. However sometimes they're "unusable" for a number of reasons. The trail rules on this particular trail is no "white flowers" meaning TP and Human waste should not be left, even buried. It was a big thing years ago... So that said, there are "wag bags" or other portable toilet substitute products that we should look into getting just in case. Oakie found a 50 pack of "go anywhere" toilet kits for $100 on amazon. I may just pick those up for emergency stock.

So - I know there is some question as to the state of things by this time even later in the year with the COVID-19 issues we're all aware of. As of now my official position is the trail ride is still on for whoever is wanting to go. We'll be in the mountains, and in my not all sleeping in one tent so to speak... While normally sharing cooking equipment, ice chest space, etc is normally my thing, we can respect anyone's wishes (or guidelines / rules of course) as required / needed if still necessary at that time. We'll adapt as needed to the situation, but if people want to come still, I'll be there and ready!

I'll update the email chain as well for any not on the forum constantly. If you're for sure going, and are not on my current email thread from last few weeks, please Private message me your email address and I'll add you in.

Stay safe friends and I hope to see you all soon for a great adventure and fun trip!

As always, any questions or concerns, please let me know!

~ Cheers! - Jr

Hello all - The trail ride is still a go at this point. Let me know if any changes from anyone else in the interested / confirmed list, or any new members that would till like to join!

Cheers!

Sending a email chain update too shortly. The ride is still on for all who still want to attend. Please shoot me a update on here (can finally get back on) or through email / Pm / Text.

4: Coldair
5: Posi
6: BlueRocket (Bobby)
7: Bass & OJL
8: Shooby
9: 007
10 Gary and Sharron

Maybe(s):

As of now, the plan is still to meet in the mountains By Sunday 9/6/2020 at the latest (we'll be up there Wednesday 9/2 in the evening on). Exact location still TBD, but general spot is by Airport Flat campground in the El Dorado National forest:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev7_018822.pdf

https://goo.gl/maps/6SjeBaU1MUGCSi4E6

Hope to see you all very soon for some (for me at least) much needed wheeling and good times!

:Chug:
~ Jr

I’m in as it stands today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just looking at the camp ground on Google earth Nice looking !

In

My maybe will be a no now. Been self employed and not been able to work for a few months, things are picking up now so I have to work to make up for some lost income. Have fun and I hope to join in on the next one.

My maybe will be a no now. Been self employed and not been able to work for a few months, things are picking up now so I have to work to make up for some lost income. Have fun and I hope to join in on the next one.

Totally understand - hope you get back on top of things quickly! Cheers

22 Days until I'll be up in the mountains! Can't wait! (Well that's not true - I can and will I suppose, but not going to be happy about the wait...)

26 days until we all meet up Sunday 9/6/2020.

I put a new lift on, new driveshafts, and upgraded the diff covers front and rear. Fixed my fuel leaks, strengthened my skid plate, and most important - re-spray-painted my hood vents brighter red :D

Getting excited!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks