1st Annual Jeep-CJ Rubicon Trail Ride - planning thread

1st Annual Jeep-CJ Rubicon Trail Ride - planning thread
Looking forward to this!
Can you add Bluerocket (Bobby) to the list.
Thanks for all you do.

Updated list (happy Bobby will be joining - that's great!)

-----

As of Now - correct me if I'm wrong:

1: Jr
2: Cameron (Jr's Brother)
3: Oakie (Jr's Uncle)
4: Shelby (Jr's buddy in a explorer)
5: Coldair
6: Posi
7: Blue Rocket (Bobby)
8: Bass & OJL - got a text last night they're in as of now

Post below and I'll sign you up if you're pretty confident on attending. Go ahead and let me know if maybe as well with some details and I'll list in the "maybe" column...

Put me down for it!

Awesome!!!

8: Bass & OJL
9: Shooby

Post below and I'll sign you up if you're pretty confident on attending. Go ahead and let me know if maybe as well with some details and I'll list in the "maybe" column...

Please add Bill D and Carol

Please add Bill D and Carol

Awesome!!!

10: Bill D & Carol

Due to the questionable future of the site here - I'm going to start a group email chain for us all. I'll be PMing each of the above, and asking privately for email address' & phone numbers to start and keep updated a group email.

Has anyone checked with BusaDave or PistolDave or hagar? - who else am I forgetting from the normal traveling crews? I have 007's info and will check in with him.

Sorry - another last disclaimer:

While it will be our goal to spot people through everything safely and without incident, it's a good idea to plan on the following:

The Rubicon Trail will probably leave a mark on your rig. You'll have a cool story to go with it most likely. If you're going to be very upset with a scratch or dent on your rig, this trail is not for you. I know there are members with really nice paint jobs and will tailor the spotting advise to minimize where ever possible. If we all make it through without a single scratch, I'll be surprised and will buy the first round.

I care about my jeep, but I build it to wheel. I get dents and scratches often. I'm also slightly careless about scratches and dents as I started with a few dents in the body, and have a spray pain paint-job - I get it - not everyone is like that. Those that have wheeled with me know I shake it off, laugh and move on. This is what I ask of all participants.

Now, if you roll the jeep, you can be pissed for 30 minutes. Then we'll flip it over beat it out and keep going :laugh: - joke... no rolling please! ;)

:chug:

This wasn't meant to discourage anyone. Just that anything "can" happen from rock rolling out from under you etc - I just wanted to make sure everyone is fully aware of the possibility of small body damage especially on the lower clearance or wider rigs.

If this worried you at all please contact me directly to get your questions answered.

I'm here and watching the thread for dates before I can commit.

I'm here and watching the thread for dates before I can commit.

So far - proposed dates are here (post 17 above):

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100...-planning-thread-31511/index2.html#post275747

Rubicon Rail - 9/7 through 9/11
Barrett or other etc, 9/12 through 9/14

Possibly few days before gathering in the mountains, few days after extra hanging out / exploring. Will depend who wants to do what at that point.

The main Rubicon Run portion though is Monday through Friday.

However, it was brought to my attention that 9/7 is Labor day. So chances are the 3 day weekend guys will be finishing up and leaving on Monday from the area. Which should leave us a pretty good day on Monday of wheeling, and definitely throughout the week. Just might mean I'll be up few days earlier than expected to get us spots.

Deal me in JR. I’ll have one or the other ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deal me in JR. I’ll have one or the other ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome!!!

7: BlueRocket (Bobby)
11: 007

For multiple reasons - I'm going to start a group email chain for us all. I'll be PMing each of the above, and asking privately for email address' & phone numbers to start and keep updated a group email.

I am a strong maybe, if work plays along.

That works! I'll list you in the maybe column for now - just keep me updated as you're deciding.

Maybe(s):

1: jfmcj7

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to all subscribed. We're still on schedule for this run - does anyone have any questions, concerns, or anything planning wise they'd like to discuss here further?

Also PM me if you would like my cell number and we can talk directly. Just remember I'm on the West Coast CA as far as time zones :) I keep forgetting that myself and call Posi way late his time! lol

However, it was brought to my attention that 9/7 is Labor day. So chances are the 3 day weekend guys will be finishing up and leaving on Monday from the area. Which should leave us a pretty good day on Monday of wheeling, and definitely throughout the week. Just might mean I'll be up few days earlier than expected to get us spots.
If traveling or staying in a hotel on Labor Day weekend was a problem for some would moving it week later help? I’m not suggesting, just a thought. Seems the temps would be about the same, maybe more of a chance of rain, you would know better.

For the folks traveling in on Saturday or Sunday What accommodations are available (hotel, Airbnb, camping)?

If traveling or staying in a hotel on Labor Day weekend was a problem for some would moving it week later help? I’m not suggesting, just a thought. Seems the temps would be about the same, maybe more of a chance of rain, you would know better.

For the folks traveling in on Saturday or Sunday What accommodations are available (hotel, Airbnb, camping)?

Good questions Posi:

For the date change, we should be ok. The local crew will just get up there a bit earlier to make sure we have adequate room for a home base camp. The weather is up in the air, August probably still be a lot warmer, and September usually cools a little but not crazy on rain, however it may be rainy too... I'll do a bit more research on trends in last 5 years etc to check into it. The trail may be a bit busy still, but that can sometimes be a good thing as more people and parts to help when / if needed.

There is really not much hotel wise around. This is in the mountain ranges. There are some cabins around in Kyburz and Pollock Pines areas. They'd be about a hour drive on windy mountain Rd, but may be worth it to some. Where we normally camp, there is no electrical or water / plumbing hook ups, but in the area there are tons of campgrounds with these included. There are vault type toilets, and down the road are a few places with coin operated showers.

I'm planning to bring camp power by way of generators to have available for group use. I'll also be bringing a lot of camping gear for cooking and fresh water. I'll encourage everyone to bring their own water too, and we can get more if needed as well... More on that later. I'm also while there earlier planning to gather a good supply of fire wood for us if the fires are allowed.

All who are interested, google "Airport Flat Campground" in the El Dorado National Forest of California. Should be right by Loon Lake, and Gerle Creek Reservoir - North of Union Valley and Ice House Reservoir. For those not familiar with the area, its closest map huge landmark is west of Lake Tahoe.

Remember, when we do exit the Rubicon Trail, we'll leave through South Lake Tahoe too.

Lake Tahoe is about a hour and a half away from Airport flat is you take Highway 50 west from south lake Tahoe and go up the Ice House Rd turnoff from the highway. There are many hotels etc up that way if people get in earlier etc.

Posi is right though that the timing to find lodging before will be harder the longer you wait. You can check out Ice House Store on google, but it's hard to get answers from them...

I'm not good with Air B&B or whatever to see what's around in Kyburz etc, found few so I know there are options...

Remember also, if you like camping / have a camper your bringing, we'll be in the mountains already having a good time, so if you're early, come on up the mountain and join us. cool lakes to explore / fish, and swim in etc. Nice hiking and jeeping trails everywhere.

Or those of you that know each other meet up earlier if you want in Lake Tahoe, especially if you haven't seen / visited before. Nevada side gambling is legal, large hotels in South Lake Tahoe, - Lots to do either way.

I know some already have expressed they'll be around earlier too. So far I've taken off 9/3 through 9/18 from work (little over 2 weeks) to ensure I'm around for anything needed even after the official trip - keep in mind for those interested, we're thinking of doing some extra wheeling after the Rubicon week.

241 days until official start so far!

Just looked at the campground on google earth and there were some pictures. Beautiful area

Good questions Posi:

For the date change, we should be ok. The local crew will just get up there a bit earlier to make sure we have adequate room for a home base camp. The weather is up in the air, August probably still be a lot warmer, and September usually cools a little but not crazy on rain, however it may be rainy too... I'll do a bit more research on trends in last 5 years etc to check into it. The trail may be a bit busy still, but that can sometimes be a good thing as more people and parts to help when / if needed.

There is really not much hotel wise around. This is in the mountain ranges. There are some cabins around in Kyburz and Pollock Pines areas. They'd be about a hour drive on windy mountain Rd, but may be worth it to some. Where we normally camp, there is no electrical or water / plumbing hook ups, but in the area there are tons of campgrounds with these included. There are vault type toilets, and down the road are a few places with coin operated showers.

I'm planning to bring camp power by way of generators to have available for group use. I'll also be bringing a lot of camping gear for cooking and fresh water. I'll encourage everyone to bring their own water too, and we can get more if needed as well... More on that later. I'm also while there earlier planning to gather a good supply of fire wood for us if the fires are allowed.

All who are interested, google "Airport Flat Campground" in the El Dorado National Forest of California. Should be right by Loon Lake, and Gerle Creek Reservoir - North of Union Valley and Ice House Reservoir. For those not familiar with the area, its closest map huge landmark is west of Lake Tahoe.

Remember, when we do exit the Rubicon Trail, we'll leave through South Lake Tahoe too.

Lake Tahoe is about a hour and a half away from Airport flat is you take Highway 50 west from south lake Tahoe and go up the Ice House Rd turnoff from the highway. There are many hotels etc up that way if people get in earlier etc.

Posi is right though that the timing to find lodging before will be harder the longer you wait. You can check out Ice House Store on google, but it's hard to get answers from them...

I'm not good with Air B&B or whatever to see what's around in Kyburz etc, found few so I know there are options...

Remember also, if you like camping / have a camper your bringing, we'll be in the mountains already having a good time, so if you're early, come on up the mountain and join us. cool lakes to explore / fish, and swim in etc. Nice hiking and jeeping trails everywhere.

Or those of you that know each other meet up earlier if you want in Lake Tahoe, especially if you haven't seen / visited before. Nevada side gambling is legal, large hotels in South Lake Tahoe, - Lots to do either way.

I know some already have expressed they'll be around earlier too. So far I've taken off 9/3 through 9/18 from work (little over 2 weeks) to ensure I'm around for anything needed even after the official trip - keep in mind for those interested, we're thinking of doing some extra wheeling after the Rubicon week.

241 days until official start so far!

Hey JR! You know our rig, F350 crew cab with a car hauler for the Jeep. We will be putting our slide in camper on the truck for this trip. Will we be able to get to the camp ground with this rig? And, are you going to grab up some camp sites for those of us camping? I see that they don't take reservations. First come first serve only.

Hey JR! You know our rig, F350 crew cab with a car hauler for the Jeep. We will be putting our slide in camper on the truck for this trip. Will we be able to get to the camp ground with this rig? And, are you going to grab up some camp sites for those of us camping? I see that they don't take reservations. First come first serve only.

Yes - I'll be saving room for all who let me know they're group camping with us. There are a few options here. I'll talk some more with you two off-site coming up as I know some of your plans too.

Yes, your truck will be fine, trailer too. We'll be bringing the RV's, trucks, and Jeeps too. probably a camping trailer etc.

FYI all - Oakie (my Uncle in Orange Jeep) is finally a member here too. Oakie72JC5 I believe lol.

3: Oakie72CJ5 (Jr's Uncle)

Maybe(s):

1: jfmcj7

Let me know if anything has changed for anyone.

Also, link to current plan for the get together "Trail Ride" is here (post # 17) - https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100...-planning-thread-31511/index2.html#post275747

Still welcoming new signups, and available by phone to talk out stuff with anyone as well - PM me for my phone number if you don't have it.

I'll clean up this thread with a new one soon with accurate details. We can continue to use this thread for general questions as of now and such.

Please add Gary and Sharron, they have been on the last 2 Moab trail runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks