Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Build

Build Thread 1986 CJ7 Build
Ooooh! I know. I know the answer😉

I have a trivia question for you, CJ.

I mentioned that my grandfather worked for Stinson Aircraft in Detroit back in the 20s - 40s. Here he is…
View attachment 100399

With your aviation background, maybe you could help identify the item my grandpa is pointing to in the pic below? I believe he helped develop whatever it is & have wondered for years.
View attachment 100400
Hate me later, I think its in every plane that flys at night and mostly days (but not required)
Transponder - that was when two way info started but not currently used. It was a test.
BTW, love the support work on the wing spar.

Hate me later, I think its in every plane that flys at night and mostly days (but not required)
Transponder - that was when two way info started but not currently used. It was a test.
BTW, love the support work on the wing spar.
Revisit, way to many wires. Looks like the start of the black box. Well they are actually orange...

It's a beer locator, and if you fly over an establishment with bud Light, an alarm and red flashing light comes on indicating you should not land.:beer:

Bud Light Warning Box. Love it! Ha!!!

Jan 25, 24:
-T-case parts are all here, so reassembled the Dana 300. Shift rods were a bit tricky. There’s a certain sequence to follow, for sure. But, the new stiffer spring kit is in with success.
-Decided to install the twin sticks while it’s still on the bench to check out the operation. Referred to the decal that indicates the positions and it seems correct and a lot better now! I can actually detect the positions now. Will remove the sticks and paint the T-case before reinstall.
-Headed outa town for a few days to visit with my parents. T-case reinstall will be next week sometime. Followed by the front Dana 44 install.IMG_7013.jpeg

Feb 3, 24:
-Back at it. Snowing like crazy today, so had some plowing this morning before I got to wrenching.
-Lotsa cleaning (Simple Green and brush) while everything is out of the way. Trans and tunnel area look good now.
-Figured that now is the time to replace the motor and trans mounts, while the t-case is out. Did the motor mounts first today. Pretty straightforward.
-Reinstalled the t-case. Was a bit tricky to benchpress it up and in. All good though.
Installed the new transmission mount and rubber donuts on the torque arm.
-Reinstalled the twin stick shifters. Seem to still operate correctly correctly.
IMG_7035.jpegIMG_7037.jpeg

IMG_7033.jpeg

Jan 20, 24:
-A nice day today. About 45 and sunny, so, open garage doors. Ahhh!!!
-Began the partial disassembly of my Dana 300 Transfer Case. Fairly simple case.

-On a hunch, I only bought new Yokes and a seal/gasket kit. Today, I’m happy to find that all bearings are fine, but yokes have bad seal grooves. Perfect!
-New yokes from Crown had too large of shrouds, which is common. Changed them out, carefully, with the originals.View attachment 100387View attachment 100388View attachment 100389
Did you do the front only high mod so you can impress the crowd with some front digs…

Nope. Didn’t take out the “Pill” for that mod.
Don’t think I’m gonna need that ability.
Also, gotta think about future buyers, if I sale the Jeep (towards another early Bronco, shhhh).

You do have to take out the pills, do the mod, and then reinstall the pills. And in the process, clean all the crud that’s there. Leaving out the pills is a no no.

Right. I did not take out any “pills”.
Removed and reinstalled the shift rods without taking them out. I did replace the springs and detent balls though. Different animals there, on a different axis and bore.

Feb 10, 24:
-Removed the front Dana 30 today. Helluva time with the driver side ball joints popping out of the C. Took a lot of effort. Anyway, got it out and the new Dana 44 swung in there, hanging by straps for now. Super Bowl cut the work short though. KC is my home office, so hadta watch.IMG_7045.jpeg

Feb 16, 24:
-Celebrated my 50th birthday a couple days ago. Feel kinda old. But, signing up for a 50k Trail Race in May for my 50th is my motivation to keep going like I'm 30. Ha! I'm a runner, so it's not too far of a stretch.
-Continued with the front end install. Of coarse, the old front u-bolts won't work. Duh! Ha!!! The Dana 44 has much different u-bolts.
Spent a minute finding the right ones and should be here tomorrow from Summit. Local Napa wanted $50 per u-bolt, so a hard NO there. cj44.jpg
-Also, the new front Dana 44 has smaller holes for the spring centering bolt. So, quickly wallowed them out with the air die-grinder.

I am watching your every move with this axle swap. I like it, Carnal.

Feb 16, 24:
-Celebrated my 50th birthday a couple days ago. Feel kinda old. But, signing up for a 50k Trail Race in May for my 50th is my motivation to keep going like I'm 30. Ha! I'm a runner, so it's not too far of a stretch.
-Continued with the front end install. Of coarse, the old front u-bolts won't work. Duh! Ha!!! The Dana 44 has much different u-bolts.
Spent a minute finding the right ones and should be here tomorrow from Summit. Local Napa wanted $50 per u-bolt, so a hard NO there. View attachment 100698
-Also, the new front Dana 44 has smaller holes for the spring centering bolt. So, quickly wallowed them out with the air die-grinder.
Happy 50 young un... :chug:

2/18/24:
- Thanks guys. Good to have my daughter home for a couple days to celebrate. Had a great birthday week!IMG_7055.jpegIMG_7054.jpeg
-Wouldn’t you know. Damn Tie-rod rubs the differential cover! I knew this would happen, but was hoping it wouldn’t! Ha!
Actually, I recall this same thing 25 years ago. Used a Scout II bellied Tie-rod back then, I think.
Anything other than that now?

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks