Build Thread YTJ...here we go again

Build Thread YTJ...here we go again

Armyvet25

Beach Runner
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 83 CJ7, 2012 JKU, 1995 YJ
Just picked up a 98 Wrangler TJ 4.0L auto, wife claimed it and wants either another CJ conversion, or is seriously considering having me do a YJ front clip which she is leaning real hard towards...talk about pissing off the guys in the TJ section of the Wrangler forum :LOL: :banana:
2023-10-26_080855.jpg
2023-10-26_080910.jpg
2023-10-26_080923.jpg

She...my wife, is thinking a color change as well, she is pretty close to settling on a YJ clip and Islander makeover, blue, similar to this;
2023-10-26_083119.jpg
2023-10-26_082958.jpg

This thread like Franken-J will sit a while, 2 other Jeeps and winter coming will postpone build.

The 98W looks small next to the other Jeeps. Probably just the angle.

Nope, not the angle, wife and I laughed our butts off when comparing the 98 to the 99, looks like 2 different makes, not the same Jeep lol.
2023-10-26_080910.jpg

When I bought it I knew it was a no start and sat a while, tested everything from fuses to relays, scan the obd!!, and found a bad coil, replaced coil, battery, cleaned up connections, now cranks but no start, no fuel rail pressure, banged on tank, fuel gauge went from 1/4 to empty, so added some fuel, now try's to hit once then spin, still no fuel pressure. Started testing entire system, from pump relay to pump, bad fuel pump from what i can tell. Dropped tank, ordered new pump and sender assy from Rock Auto, will update.
2023-10-30_130135.jpg
Hey, I hear these tank shields are hard to come by...I'll sell this one real cheap 🤣 🤣
2023-10-30_130151.jpg

ok, I'm a dunderhead, was wanting to do some other unrelated testing...dead battery Funny thing is, when I installed a battery a few days ago I noticed everything works electrically, light buzzer, lights I mean everything like what you'd expect on a new Jeep, but, i left the battery connected, it has no doors PO sold them along with the top before I got it, didn't dawn on me dome/courtesy lights remain on now...Duh Not only did it drain it, but killed it dead short in battery now, I bought an inexpensive temporary battery for my testing purposes low and behold, very temporary. Battery should have been able to handle and least one serious drain, but not this Exide pos.
On a more positive note, got the fuel pump installed in the tank, but weather caught up, so it goes in on Thu

Surprisingly, after the battery was removed, it gained a top charge enough to excite the battery charger, and it took 100% charge😁
And, pump installed yesterday, battery installed today, primed with key on off 3 times, 4th time...VROOOOOOM! starts right up and runs surprisingly smooth. Coolant is nonexistent, more like mud, so a serious flush is in order, brake light came on at first attempt, I'm sure one of the extremely rusted lines over the rear axle let go, pedal softened but could pump up enough to put in gear drive/reverse to test trans with success. Let it run a short while, alternator pulley whine, have a spare alt ready as well. Shut down before heating up to operating temps, didn't want the sludge that's supposed to be coolant to continue finding places to pack in the motor, flush/alt/brakes next on agenda.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
I had the same hard start issue in a TJ. When my daughter still had her ‘01 TJ, I dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump twice in 3 years. Problem I had was finding a good OEM pump. They're like unicorns! The common $100 pumps (Delphi, Bosche, OMIX, etc.) just don’t last. Wish you luck with yours.

She starts now daily with a bump of the key, fires instantly. System flushed and new coil. all I've done so far. Not alt whine, AC compressor

been on marketplace trying to trade it off for a CJ project...no one is biting lol

wife's good either way, I just prefer a CJ for less computer controls, and future value.

wife's good either way, I just prefer a CJ for less computer controls, and future value.
No doubt on the future value of a CJ that's been taken care of. On the computer controls, I'm gonna disagree a bit. While I also hate newer vehicles with all the integrated computer systems (CAN bus, multiple control units like the ECM, TCM, BCM, etc), I do love my fuel injection and bluetooth interfaced ECM for tuning and engine management/control. Easy starts no matter what the temp, no choke, no feathering the throttle, better MPGs, easily monitor performance and catch any issues, all around good deal for me. On the other hand, mine is mainly a street vehicle with some light offroad when camping or hunting. So street drivability and comfort is my focus mostly. For others with more dedicated offroad rigs, maybe not the best choice. I don't carry a spare ECM around in the event a failure. I'll concede that a carb and no computers would be a lot easier to deal with if you had an issue deep in the woods or out in the rocks somewhere if that's where your rig is at most of the time.

everybody ha what they prefer, I'm a carb guy/HEI ignition, I can tune like a mofo lol, maybe not as efficient a an efi, but got along without it for decades, and not concerned with every lat drop of mpg's

This is why the TJ-7 will eventually loose all of that, and go older V8 and HEI.
The only thing I would consider adding to a setup like this would be a vacuum/map stand alone map system to get a more efficient fuel to air ratio, can be seen on thunderhead289's utube channel

I hear ya guys. I’m kinda stuck there too, in the “between world”. K.I.S.S was my dad’s mantra. Example: Just recently replaced a set of points and set the dwell on one of our old tractors. Love the simplicity of things mechanical.IMG_6784.jpeg

But, I like the computer-controlled EFI installed in the latest CJ too. After I worked the bugs out, it’s great and more reliable.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks