YJ power brake swap. What air cleaner do I need?

YJ power brake swap. What air cleaner do I need?

Halfmoon

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 - 258 w/ mild cam and headers, T-18 trans,
Dana 300 t-case, stock axles & brakes,
4" Skyjacker lift w/ 35" BFG's
I'm planning to put power brakes from a '95 Wrangler on my CJ. I've looked at lots of threads about the swap. I can tell that my air cleaner clearance is going to be a problem as others have mentioned. But what air cleaner do I need to swap to? I'm ordering the booster and MC from a salvage yard and want to get another air cleaner with it. Will the master cylinder sit underneath the new air cleaner?

Do I need a YJ master cylinder too or will mine work?

Also, for those that have done the swap with the dual diaphragm booster, anyone know the distance from the firewall to the front of the new master cylinder?

Thanks!

Yes that would work. But I'm trying to go the salvage yard route to save money.

I'm planning to put power brakes from a '95 Wrangler on my CJ. I've looked at lots of threads about the swap. I can tell that my air cleaner clearance is going to be a problem as others have mentioned. But what air cleaner do I need to swap to? I'm ordering the booster and MC from a salvage yard and want to get another air cleaner with it. Will the master cylinder sit underneath the new air cleaner?

Do I need a YJ master cylinder too or will mine work?

Also, for those that have done the swap with the dual diaphragm booster, anyone know the distance from the firewall to the front of the new master cylinder?

Thanks!

:)You have not mentioned what motor you have in your CJ? a 6 or V8? and the type of brake system.....disc or drums that you currently now have. The pedal ratio will also have to be changed from manual to power.

Why would you go to a salvage yard to get the most important thing you need on your vehicle? Rust is a big issue in a Master Cylinder that has been sitting for a while............the booster may or may not work...........is it set up for your brake system? Drums or disc's..........how about the proportioning valve?...............bottom line for $200 bucks or less on e-bay you can get it all new and works with what you have to work with. Just a thought!

:D:D:D:D

It's a 258 with front disc and rear drums. The reason I was looking used was that's what a lot of threads I read did for parts.

The ones you refer to on eBay, are they new kits for YJ's or CJ conversion kits? Would the eBay models still need a different air cleaner? If so , which one?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Would this work? Would I still need to extend the brake rod or do any other mods?

CJ Series Jeep Power Brake Booster Master Cylinder w Bonus Proportioning Valve | eBay

:)Halfmoon...........First you need to fill out your information sheet so people know what year and what options you have............makes the process a lot easier to give advise for your particular Jeep as not all models are the same!

Making a Brake conversion is a process and careful attention to basic funtions and applications should be understood ...........you may have read on some forums that you just go to the wrecking yard and buy some used parts and a day later your stopping from 0-60 in under 10 ft...............Just does not happen that way.........Proper Master Cylinder bore and volume size needs to be matched to your current Front disc's and rear drums brakes if thats what your using!
Pedal ratios are also important. Right now your brake pedal ratio for a manual system is about 6:1 while a Power system is only about 3-4:1......the latter manual system needs more mechanical advantage for your leg while the Power needs less because it's getting a boost of power from the booster............

You ask if the E-bay Item will work.....and I would say maybe , cause I do not know what you have........the linkage adapter that you see in front of the booster can be a game changer as it pushes the booster and Master cylinder farther out into the engine compartment...........I like to ditch the use of that and make the correct ratio in the mounting position of the booster............... I know this is all confusing so check out this link...........read it and understand it and it will be very helpful to you in making your system choices and how you mount things.........not a problem to ask questions...........but it's better to ask the informed questions.
Check this Link out:Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

:)Halfmoon...........First you need to fill out your information sheet so people know what year and what options you have............makes the process a lot easier to give advise for your particular Jeep as not all models are the same!

Making a Brake conversion is a process and careful attention to basic funtions and applications should be understood ...........you may have read on some forums that you just go to the wrecking yard and buy some used parts and a day later your stopping from 0-60 in under 10 ft...............Just does not happen that way.........Proper Master Cylinder bore and volume size needs to be matched to your current Front disc's and rear drums brakes if thats what your using!
Pedal ratios are also important. Right now your brake pedal ratio for a manual system is about 6:1 while a Power system is only about 3-4:1......the latter manual system needs more mechanical advantage for your leg while the Power needs less because it's getting a boost of power from the booster............

You ask if the E-bay Item will work.....and I would say maybe , cause I do not know what you have........the linkage adapter that you see in front of the booster can be a game changer as it pushes the booster and Master cylinder farther out into the engine compartment...........I like to ditch the use of that and make the correct ratio in the mounting position of the booster............... I know this is all confusing so check out this link...........read it and understand it and it will be very helpful to you in making your system choices and how you mount things.........not a problem to ask questions...........but it's better to ask the informed questions.
Check this Link out:Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

Thanks for the link, that was a great read! I realize there's a lot to consider and want to plan for any known issues up front. So far I'm leaning towards the CJ booster from eBay since its new and doesn't require any adaptors. The one from Performance Online (here) also has an adjustable push rod so I wouldn't need to adapt anything for that.

What I still need to determine is:
1) What air cleaner will I need to get?
2) What should I do about the pedal ratio? Just deal with it or replace with a YJ or other pedal?? If so, would a YJ pedal be a direct bolt on fix?

Thanks!

BTW, I have looked at a TON of threads all over the web trying to avoid asking the same questions. But there are lots of different opinions out there and many that are rigging things to work--which I don't want to do. There's a difference between "rigging" and "fabbing" something! :)

I had to use a 7" k&m air cleaner. the master in the picture would be a disk/disk drum/drum MC.

:agree:junk yard brake parts, bad idea. The adapter, maybe. the booster and MC, no. that MC is about $30 rebuilt and the booster you need is the smallest diameter you can find, more than likely not something you will find in a grave yard.:cool: IMHO

I had to use a 7" k&m air cleaner. the master in the picture would be a disk/disk drum/drum MC.

I have front disc and rear drums. So this would be the right MC, right?? Any pic of your air cleaner?

I have front disc and rear drums. So this would be the right MC, right?? Any pic of your air cleaner?

It would depend on if the MC had residual valves or not, drum /drum would have them in both ends and the disk/disk would have none at all. You need one in the back and none in the front. some consideration must be given to piston size your two choices are 1" and 1.25 inch. I used the 1" with good results. One day when I am really bored I may try the 1.25 just to see the difference, the peddle will be harder so more physical force will be required.:D

The master cylinder is usually found in an 89 Corvette? the one inch is a manual 4 wheel disk brakes and will require a plug. The 1.25 is the Corvette 4 wheel power disk brakes.:D

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f49/creative-brake-system-18046/

A little very light reading.:laugh:

Thanks for the link, that was a great read! I realize there's a lot to consider and want to plan for any known issues up front. So far I'm leaning towards the CJ booster from eBay since its new and doesn't require any adaptors. The one from Performance Online (here) also has an adjustable push rod so I wouldn't need to adapt anything for that.

What I still need to determine is:
1) What air cleaner will I need to get?
2) What should I do about the pedal ratio? Just deal with it or replace with a YJ or other pedal?? If so, would a YJ pedal be a direct bolt on fix?

Thanks!

BTW, I have looked at a TON of threads all over the web trying to avoid asking the same questions. But there are lots of different opinions out there and many that are rigging things to work--which I don't want to do. There's a difference between "rigging" and "fabbing" something! :)

:)Halfmoon...........Regarding pedal ratio.........you just have to get under the dash and do some measuring and then get your calculator out and check the ratio.........On an 84 I would guess the overall length from the pivot point on the pedals to the push pad will be about 16.5" the off set at the top where the push rod goes into your master should be about 2.5" for a manual set.........There could be a hole in your pedal just below the point where it is now attached at about 3.5 " down ( some pedal assembly's had holes for both ratio's )..........that would be where you want to end up for your Power brake push rod...........but sometimes when using the linkage that is mounted between the firewall and booster that adapter is also offset and will correct your ratio for the Power setup from the manual ratio........this is something that you just have to look at and measure.........the parts are there it's just a case of putting them where they belong......that's why reading the article and applying what you learn is so important.
Forget about the air cleaner for now , it will come once you get the brakes installed.

Thanks guys! I'll measure the pedal. Also, I found this '95 YJ air cleaner at a local salvage yard. Is this the right type? I haven't bought it yet.

22F-92F8FFD946D9-1498-0000021BDF50C01C_zps4c9f4279.jpg

I have considered those, since it is a fresh air system. Hopefully the tubes that go to the carb and inlet tube will fit since in '95 it was fuel injection. I have noticed that the ones for the earlier Grand Cherokees with 4.0 have a larger tube and maybe larger air cleaner on them. Good luck on the swap as I would like to set up something like that on my 258 w/tbi.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks