Wrong steering box in my CJ7? Causing problems...

Wrong steering box in my CJ7? Causing problems...

mmerlina

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7
Hey everyone! I was recommended over here by one of your members hoping someone can help me get to the bottom of my steering issues! I'll try to make it short and sweet, tell you my problem, what I've tried to fix it, and what I just found 10 minutes ago.

Problem: Turning radius is half of what it should be, I'm about 5/8" of an inch from the stops on the steering knuckles.. it's a lot.

What I've tried:
- Disconnected the stabilizer. (no problem here)
- Jacked up the jeep, disconnected the drag link from the pitman arm, manually turned the wheels all the way from stop to stop, they go WAY further than when connected. If I turn the steering wheel all the way in that direction, I can't connect the drag link back up.
- Did a tie rod flip and got rid of the drop pitman arm, replaced it with a stock pitman arm.

What I think may be wrong (what I just found): As much as I did not want the problem to be the steering box.. I think one of the several POs may have swapped in a chevy sports car steering box. It's 2.75 turns lock to lock, and here are the numbers off it.

36 (spline I'm guessing this goes to)
9AV078 (no idea on this one)

When I search google for the first number it's all over the old school muscle car forums..

You guys think I'm going for a new steering box? Maybe someone has one that'll work and doesn't leak that they don't need anymore? :D

Thanks so much for reading!

The diference in boxes between a cruiser car and a sports car is just the steering response. The sports type box will go lock to lock quicker with less turns to get there. I don't believe there will be any actual diference in radius though. Is it a manual box by any chance?

The diference in boxes between a cruiser car and a sports car is just the steering response. The sports type box will go lock to lock quicker with less turns to get there. I don't believe there will be any actual diference in radius though. Is it a manual box by any chance?

That's why I'm having so much trouble believing that it's the box! Half the people out there are telling me it's the box and the other half are saying it's not.. but I'm running out of things to try!

And nope it's a power steering box.

Someone else will get here with some advice, but I do know that on a manual box, some people will tighten the little adjustment screw to try and remove the excessive freeplay from a worn box. It does work to some extent, but will also restrict the box from going lock to lock properly. I cant say for certain that a power box would be the same though.

Just a shot in the dark here but do you have the stock steering arm and tie rod assembly? I have seen where they have been replaced and set to where they were too short and caused this problem.

Just a shot in the dark here but do you have the stock steering arm and tie rod assembly? I have seen where they have been replaced and set to where they were too short and caused this problem.
The pitman arm length can cause a turning radius problem also...

Can you post some pic's of your front end, and with the wheels turned all the way?
My guess would be that the steering box just doesn"t have enough travel as it's not from a jeep.

I can take some pictures later on today when I get back to the shop.. but right now I have this.. this is when it stops turning.

web.jpg

.. and CJ, I thought the same thing - so I did the tie rod flip so I could get rid of the drop pitman arm, it was shorter than the stock one. However now I have the stock arm on there with the same problem.

Pit1.jpg

web.jpg

Can you post some pic's of your front end, and with the wheels turned all the way?
My guess would be that the steering box just doesn"t have enough travel as it's not from a jeep.

Yeah man, I was really hoping that was not the case.. but it seems like everything is pointing in that direction. I thought that most steering boxes had the same amount of travel and the only variable was how fast they turned in regards to turning the wheel. I think I'm wrong on that however after some more research.

Advanced Auto has 2 OE rebuilt boxes for sale.. I don't know the difference other than the name and price. You think either is fine?

I'd like to go with one of PSC's variable boxes but I just don't have the money and anything is better than what I have now.

Steering Gear Box by Cardone - Part 3790177 - Advance Auto Parts

Steering Gear Box by Lares - Part 18490352 - Advance Auto Parts

~~~CJ, I thought the same thing - so I did the tie rod flip so I could get rid of the drop pitman arm, it was shorter than the stock one. However now I have the stock arm on there with the same problem.~~~

Unfortunately that leaves just about one thing... The gear box... :(

was the box rebuilt? maybe using a shorter gear drive shaft. X2 with CJ may have to go with a new box.

I don't believe it was rebuilt.. one of the POs of this jeep was a real idiot.. it would be just like him to throw on any box without doing the research and then forgetting about the fact that it doesn't turn any more.

I had my buddy order a stock box from ekeystone he's charging me his cost which is like $133 so I'm happy. I weighed ordering a PSC variable box and other options, but right now I just don't have the money to "upgrade" I'd rather just have it working properly.

I'll let you guys know how I make out.. I don't think it's going to be here by the weekend which kinda sucks but oh well.

Glad to see ya made it over, these guys are pretty good at narrowing down a problem. I hope the box fixes it, it would blow if it didn't.

Haha yeah.. but I don't know what else it could be! I know it's not a stock box on there because it only has 2.75 turns from lock to lock.. and a stock box should be I think 4.5.

The box is the only thing left.. ;/

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom