Windshield frame and other parts in that area

Windshield frame and other parts in that area

redrussell

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ-7 Golden Eagle(Main build focus now)
1979 Jeep J20 (Will be parted and donor to CJ build)
1968 Chevy Impala (2-door fastback)
I have a 1979 CJ7 and the previous owner left it fully uncovered and outside year round. The entire windshield and dash are rusted very extensively. I have a very nice dash I picked up but am at a loss where I can pick up a windshield frame and glass. I want a new one price of glass but I want wiper arms I can blades for at Walmart. Anyone have any ideas or anything? Also when I start pulling the dash and such apart what should I look for? Any usual place for damage or rust?

Glass and the gasket are easy, any glass shop in town can do that. I am quite happy with the frame I got from Collins brothers jeep. The cowl gasket fit well but I have no idea what the glass gasket I bought from them was supposed to fit.:D

Wipers are a different story, I put the Wipeboy wipers on mine and I think I can buy the blades at Wallmart but I have to buy two different sizes.:laugh:

I had mishap this last winter on an ice covered country road and ended up on its top. I bought a replacement widshield frame on E-Bay. I can't remember the exact price, but I'm pretty sure it was under $ 150.00 with free shipping . The fit was great and the quality is ok ,not OEM quality,
but it looks good and fits.

I second everything IOPort said because I had the same problem 2 years ago. He chimed in with the same advice, I took his advice and couldn't be happier. Thanks IOPort.

The Collins Brothers windshield frame is almost an exact OEM fit. It comes primered and ready to paint. Do yourself a favor and find a local glass shop that will warranty their work for leaks. Usually the shop will provide the windshield seal if they offer warranty.

As per IOPort's word I went with the Wipeboy wipers too. Although a bit spendy, they are superior to the OEM wipers for water removal during rainstorms AND do not park in your vision of the passenger side mirror when turned off.

Replace every rubber seal associated with this project especially the hinge and hard top (if you have one).

Check out a posting I did 2-3 years ago exactly on this project, complete with photos and all. Good luck!

"Round Jeep is Good Jeep"

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not wanting to hijack this thread but I just happen to have removed the glass from my 1980 frame and found more rust through than was visible before. Crown lists a frame for about $160. Collins Bros. has only an older version at over $200. Based on its current condition, I'm wondering if I'm better off paying for the rust repair or buying a new one. Thanks for any insight.....and sorry again for tailgating your thread.:confused:

replace it.

there is more damage than what is showing itself. Jeep windshields rot out, it is what they do.

I think it has something to do with putting warm moist air in the defrost vents using the windshield as the plenum. the moisture condenses on the inside of the cold metal and has no place to go.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks