Willys Wagon part II

Willys Wagon part II
I'm thinking VERY seriously about selling this Wagon. Why? Honestly it's to good, to much of a survivor. What I want to do would destroy it's originality. What I need is a Wagon that has already been compromised, usually with a repower of some kind. So, I'm thinking about moving her on to someone that will truly respect what she is.

Its just metal parts. Just by keeping it alive is enough wouldn't you say? These are not high value collectible vehicles so you might as well build how you want and enjoy it.

HH-KEEP the wagon, and build it how you want.
The bright side, no BUBBA got a hold of it before you, and muck'd it up.
LG

Last night yet another pile of parts was installed or partially installed on the Wagon. I really do like the old girl. The only reason to sell her would be to free up some money to buy another one that is further down the road toward the endpoint I'm shooting at. A Wagon popped up on Craigs List that would have fulfilled that need. It didn't last long, a couple days and it was gone.

This is proving to be a bit frustrating. Does anybody have the specs on a '80 231 V6 Buick engine? After attempting dozens of Google searches it seems that the only thing there is information on are Buick V8's or the newer GM V6's. I have no interest in those engines. Why?

My past has been full of excellent experiences with a Buick 231 V6, for no real good reason there is a huge soft spot in my heart when it comes to the 231. Recently a 231 popped up almost in front of me begging to be put in my '51 Wagon. It has a typical story, it was put in a flat fender and ran very well, but the owner wanted a hotrod and pulled the V6 for a fire breathing V8. The owner of his storage space wants it GONE and he threatened to sell it for scrap.

The engine has been compression tested with an average of 140lbs and the oil pressure held at 20psi. Those sound like very good numbers, but I don't really know. Somewhere I read that the Jeep odd fire 225 ran with +160 lbs, but can't swear on that.

So, for an even fire Buick 231 are 140lbs compression and 20psi oil pressure good numbers?

Have you ck'd any of the marine sites?
It was a very common and popular boat engine, back in the day.
20 psi OP-Hot or cold? Was this idle psi? What weight oil?
LG

Should be at least 130 psi, your at 140 your fine.
Hot idle oil pressure of 20psi is good.
An AMC V8 is only 13 psi
I think your getting mixed up with 225 numbers, 160 is the HP.

The oil pressure and compression were from a quick phone report, a more extensive report for a Face to Face. It would be surprising to have it be a running oil pressure since the engine is out and on a stand. On a quick once over the oil was thick (cold), it felt like 20/50 and didn't smell right, a little gassy, but very clean.

Yes it is possible I'm mixing the numbers, I wasn't at all sure on that one. There is a memory in my head somewhere that said the 225 had higher compression than the 231, but it is a very fuzzy memory.

The horse power numbers I'm seeing on the internet are a bit disappointing at just over 100 hp. Back in the day I remember more like 140hp with very similar Torque numbers. The memory is getting a little fuzzy.

A lot of AMC V8's run very low oil pressure, mine, the 360, is considerably higher than 13psi though. There is no telling what the rebuilder did before I got it. That is without tearing into it.

Last edited:
13 for the V8s is factory specs most of in good condition run higher psi.
Yes, 105 hp for the 231 but plenty of torque.
Isn’t the engine coming free or scrap prices? Scrap is on the low side per ton now a days.

Close, but not exactly what I said. The guy storing the engine threatened to sell it for scrap price. The owner pulled it out and brought it to Rob's and said he wants $500. Generally that wouldn't be a bad price, but it is missing some difficult to find brackets and manifolds. The carb needs rebuilding, at least the choke does not work, something is missing, possibly one of the linkages. All points for negotiation. Talking face to face with Rob he said that 5 out of 6 cylinders came right up to the 140psi mark, but 1 cylinder started very low, with pressure getting higher with every test until it was acceptable. Rob said it didn't act like a bent or burned valve. Possibly the rings were set and needed to be worked a bit. I'm on the fence on this one.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks