Will this work to power my air tools?

mylittlecj5

RIP Mike, we'll all miss you
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ-5,
360 AMC Engine.
35x12.50x15 TSL Super Swamper tires.

In a frame off rebuild for a long time...
Not sure if I got one big enough? :drool:

cb8c8354.jpg

0459aae3.jpg

Now all I need is a shop to put it in! :chug:
Specs: IR compressor
80 gallon tank
7.5 running HP
175 PSI max
24.3 CFM @90 PSI

And this is the maiden trip for the little trailer I just built. I got so excited to get the compressor, I didn't even finish it up first...

I got a good deal on it...looked for a while to find this one. Ran me about $1500.00 altogether.
I have a sandblast pot coming next week and I want to get it set up, but i don't know anything about the magnetic starter and how to wire it. I got some research to do.

lol I just tried to put it in the shop, and it is taller than the door to the shop...How the heck am I going to get it off the trailer, anyways??

I have the same compressor - you got a good deal.

I attached the manual for you. There are wiring instruction in the pdf.

Attachments

• 1592003A.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 144
24 CFM!!! that rocks!!!:notworthy:

24 CFM!!! that rocks!!!:notworthy:
The IR 5hp puts out 16 cfm @ 90 psi - still a healthy amount of air.

You can buy a cheap CH compressor that is close to those specs, but IMHO you cannot beat IR's reliability. :)

The IR 5hp puts out 16 cfm @ 90 psi - still a healthy amount of air.

You can buy a cheap CH compressor that is close to those specs, but IMHO you cannot beat IR's reliability. :)

That 5 hp is the one I was going to get, but this one just fell in my lap so I had to take it...

I'm thinking that I am going it mount it on my spare trailer for now. I have a few reasons for this:
1) My electrical panel is not big enough in the shop (and almost scary when I really think about it.) My fault, I wired it and it works, but I didn't plan on this monster!
2) My house panel is outside the house so I can tap into it with a new 50 Amp breaker easier than replacing the shop panel.
3) I don't have a good way to unload off the trailer since it won't fit in the garage on the trailer. And I sure don't want to drop it! :eek:
4) I hope to move this year, and this way I will only have to take it off the trailer one time instead of several. This way it will be "portable" for the move.

I'll need to build a 'shed' over the compressor for weather-proofing. And probably put the trailer on jack stands for stability.
Anyone think of any other reasons/problems with doing this?

Well the trailer idea fell thru...I think the floor on the trailer I was going to use won't stand up to the compressor, So I started a three-sided shed for it. Got some guys coming over tomorrow to help me get it onto the shed floor before I put the walls/roof on it. That should help with the theft concerns also :).
CheepJeep, I have an electrical cord to the garage and the dog's water hose running thru the grass right now anyways...I just mow around them or pick them up anyways, so its not a big concern...lol but thanks for the thought!

Oh it turns out this one doesn't have a magnetic starter, so thats one less worry! Thanks for the PDF, CJ. I haven't opened my papers on it yet, and never thought about it having wiring diagrams. lol At least it will be a short run to the breaker box.
My bride didn't seem to thrilled about it being right outside her bedroom window for some reason....I don't understand why? I don't always head to the shop at 0530-0600...just on the weekends!
I just told her that means we will have to move and get my new shop built all that much sooner!

It is possible to have too big an air compressor? I never thought so...but all my buddies that came over to help me offload it says its too much...We ended up leaving it on the white trailer. It will have to stay there until I find a new house (and shop) to give it a permanent home. Hopefully that will be SOON!

The deal I got on it means I can't just trade it in on a smaller one (and no it isn't stolen! :D )

I will refrain from usinng the term I want to, let just say 'wussie'... LOL

You have a great compressor. Unfortunately , you now have a great responsibility. :)

:laugh::laugh: Lets just say I was willing, but they didn't want to have to load it up again in a few weeks/months.
I am going to look at a couple houses on Tuesday, got walk-thru's scheduled on both. Either one (if either) I get, I will be putting up a 30x40 shop. might not be right away, but pretty close. depends on the financing we get.
So now I am trying to figure out the wiring...I wanna hear this thing pumpin'!

EDIT...I looked a little closer and answered my own question, so I deleted it lol

While dodging rain showers in 95* heat, I finally got the compressor wired and fired!
Made the best I could out of what I had, got it away from the bedroom window (where the main panel to the house is, on the outside wall) to make the wife happy, and its a little closer to the shop so I don't have to run quite so much line out to have air out there. :D:D
Now to finish the little shed and get it out of the rain...When we move I will get it installed outside the shop in this shed, so its not a total waste...
th_997b3efe.png

Sorry for the PB link, I have never figured out how to get the PB embed button to work...:cool:

Only thing I see missing is a rock on top. You live in a pretty nasty area for storms, it might leave the area along with other stuff. Have family up around okc, told them if I lived up there I'd live under ground.

LOL...THATS what its missing! I've been trying to figure that out since I set it there! lol
I have it secured to the trailer for now. We have been lucky, every storm that we have endured we haven't even significantly lost power but once, and that was a couple weeks ago (pretty blue skies where I work, but lightning over the town must have knocked out a transformer somewhere. had power in about 3 hours :))

(knock on wood)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks