Will a 79 jeep series truck tilting column fit 76 cj7 jeep --& what is missing on it

Will a 79 jeep series truck tilting column fit 76 cj7 jeep --& what is missing on it

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
Will a 79 jeep series truck tilting column fit 76 CJ7 jeep --& what is missing on it

Hello all,

I bought a 1979 jeep j-series truck tilting steering column from our local junk yard..

Problem is it appears to be missing a couple of things. I have all column shifter levers (have the hazard button and turn signal lever) but looks like its missing the key release lever? (I do have an extra too.. But can I install a non-tilt release lever into a tilting column?)
Please check out the pictures and let me know if anything else is missing....
Was hoping this would be an easy fix and fit in my CJ7 jeep.. But I guess not.. :(

Splines look the same as well as the length. Anyone have experience with installing a jeep j-series truck tilting column in CJ7 jeep? As I just want to make sure it will fit in my CJ7 before I rebuild it for nothing. :eek:

I currently have a non-tilting column installed in the CJ7 that I rebuild and it works fine but, after I bought a new seat, my legs now sit too high so I touch the steering wheel with my knees when I try to hit the brake. I have the seat adjusted to where I like it too.. :confused:

:chug:

Attachments

• 1979 jseries jeep truck tilt steering column junk yar.jpg
    1979 jseries jeep truck tilt steering column junk yar.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2,334
  • junk yard steering column.jpg
    junk yard steering column.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,438
  • what are these on column.jpg
    what are these on column.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 497
Re: Will a 79 jeep series truck tilting column fit 76 CJ7 jeep --& what is missing on

I think I would start with using a tape measure and counting those splines just to make sure. Checking out all the wiring for the conversion and removing your existing shaft for a dry fit. If it fits you could even hook it up to see just how it works.

Re: Will a 79 jeep series truck tilting column fit 76 CJ7 jeep --& what is missing on

It looks like it's missing the auto transmission shift lever, the raised area circled with the pin holes.
It's also missing the shift indicator dial assembly which mounts directly on top and is circled also in your picture.
Any key release lever would be mounted under the ignition switch so one hand operation is possible (I think).

It looks like it's missing the auto transmission shift lever, the raised area circled with the pin holes.
It's also missing the shift indicator dial assembly which mounts directly on top and is circled also in your picture.
Any key release lever would be mounted under the ignition switch so one hand operation is possible (I think).

Oh Snap! That is what I feared... So, does that mean probably not a good tilting steering column to use?
I'm wondering if a 70's gm steering column would work?
Perhaps I should go back to the junk yard and trade this one out for a gm steering column? (My CJ7 is an automatic floor shifter model)

If the gm tilting columns won't work, would another vehicle (besides cjs and yj as we have none in our local junk yard) have either a tilting column that will work? If not, I will get "in store credit" for $52... Perhaps I could locate a rear tire swing out bumper, or just the carrier?
I also need the drivers seat riser that folds forward... But don't know of any gm or other amc vehicles that has that specific bracket...

Thanks for your input...:notworthy:

I think I would start with using a tape measure and counting those splines just to make sure. Checking out all the wiring for the conversion and removing your existing shaft for a dry fit. If it fits you could even hook it up to see just how it works.

Someone mentioned that I could possibly swap out the center shaft column in my non tilting to the tilting column..... Have you ever tried this or will it work? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help! :notworthy:

I would suggest looking online for doing that swap, it seems that the '73-'87 GM tilt steering units will work, along with the J-series, but it might be hard to find a direct bolt in. I had the same problem with my rig when I put in some Bestop Trailmax 2 seats, I found that Bestop seat brackets are about 1" lower than oem, so I used those. I also removed the seat adjuster and drilled holes for the proper location. I have also banged my head on the top spreader bar a few times. The seats are cozy though.

I would suggest looking online for doing that swap, it seems that the '73-'87 GM tilt steering units will work, along with the J-series, but it might be hard to find a direct bolt in. I had the same problem with my rig when I put in some Bestop Trailmax 2 seats, I found that Bestop seat brackets are about 1" lower than oem, so I used those. I also removed the seat adjuster and drilled holes for the proper location. I have also banged my head on the top spreader bar a few times. The seats are cozy though.

You're funny. "I have banged my heat on the top spreader bar..." :D

So... I've been looking for a CJ7 tilting steering column and they are next to impossible to find, unless I'd like to spend a LOT.. I really don't want to pay more for my steering column than how much I spent on the jeep... :(

Thanks for your story though...:p

Could I take the shaft out of my column and put it in the 73-87 GM tilting column? If yes, that would be the preferred method...

On second thought... You mentioned that the Bestop brackets are 1" shorter than stock... Do you mean the fold forward floor bracket? Perhaps I can just buy one of those and keep my non-tilt until I stumble on one... :bounce:
If possible, could you get the height measurements of the seat riser and would you remember the bestop seat bracket number? :drool:

:ty:

Last edited:

I get 11 3/8" from the center of the horn button straight down to the top of the seat, works for my skinny legs, I also have a 13 1/2" steering wheel. I did have the non tilt brackets originally which did not work with my 6' height after installing the new seats. So I did get some help by removing the adjusters, which means drilling hole locations to fit me. In comparison to my oem brackets there seems to be a lot more drop on the rear of the seat than the front. Having a seat back tilt feature on the Bestops helps a lot. I would not recommend going out and spending a small fortune on the new brackets, but research it out first. I do not have that Bestop p/n, but did get the tilt brackets designed for the CJ, which of course were made by Bestop. I contacted them for any info on their brackets in comparsion to the oem CJ version and could not get any. Being up as tall as you can makes it easier to see rocks over that long hood also and I do have a padded spreader bar. I do think that the Bestop seats are quite thicker under the knees too.Your tilt steering wheel plan might just be the best option.

Last edited:

I get 11 3/8" from the center of the horn button straight down to the top of the seat, works for my skinny legs, I also have a 13 1/2" steering wheel. I did have the non tilt brackets originally which did not work with my 6' height after installing the new seats. So I did get some help by removing the adjusters, which means drilling hole locations to fit me. In comparison to my oem brackets there seems to be a lot more drop on the rear of the seat than the front. Having a seat back tilt feature on the Bestops helps a lot. I would not recommend going out and spending a small fortune on the new brackets, but research it out first. I do not have that Bestop p/n, but did get the tilt brackets designed for the CJ, which of course were made by Bestop. I contacted them for any info on their brackets in comparsion to the oem CJ version and could not get any. Being up as tall as you can makes it easier to see rocks over that long hood also and I do have a padded spreader bar. I do think that the Bestop seats are quite thicker under the knees too.Your tilt steering wheel plan might just be the best option.

Thanks Torxhead for your detailed information...:rolleyes:
I really like having sliders on my seat... So don't plan on taking it off... :p I only have 4.5" of space between the steering wheel and seat.. :( The space is fine.. well, until I have to hit the brake.. Then my leg touches the bottom of the wheel... It's a little too tight for comfort for me... :eek:
I'm tall too.. (well for a girl.. I'm 5'11" approx) and I just get on my tippy toes and slide on to the seat...
I think I will wait on the seat brackets... Perhaps someone local has a driver-side for sale or trade. (I have a passenger fold forward..)
I will have to check out the after-market columns.. It is just confusing (and intimidating) to figure out what to call the parts of the steering "stuff".. And which ones will adapt easily to my Saginaw power steering box...:dunno:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks