Will a 1986 cj7 skid plate fit a 1976 cj7 frame?

Will a 1986 cj7 skid plate fit a 1976 cj7 frame?

76cj7chick

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7 Jeep with a engine/tranny/wiring harness out of a 1988 s10 blazer 4.3l v6 with th700r4 automatic tranny and a cj7 Dana 300 transfer case with Novak adapter.
Complete wiring harness from the s10 blazer. Painted with HOT PINK Pearl paint with standard sized metallic halographic pink flakes. Painted by me -a newb. New rear, front and side three wire LED lights, New parts, new custom dash-by me And a lot of guidance from fellow jeepers and lots of prayers etc.... :p
I got a skidplate in a recent trade but the bolts won't line up on my 76 CJ7 frame. And my frame seems a little wider than the skid plate. But the frame is engraved with the stamp date of 76. I double checked and the skid plate was off a 86 CJ7..

(The skid plate was off a 1986 CJ7 that had a t4 manual tranny and dana 300 transfer case. (I think the engine was a 258 i6 but not positive)

Any ideas? Perhaps I'm just being a blond?

Thanks in advanced!!:chug:

They didn't use a T4 back then so your 76 frame is probably drilled for whatever crossmember was used. but that's just a guess....

The 86 crossmember should fit between the frame rails. I've seen these things get beat up and then bent back into shape, heck, Im guilty of it :rolleyes:
It probably just needs stretched back out a bit.

They didn't use a T4 back then so your 76 frame is probably drilled for whatever crossmember was used. but that's just a guess....

The 86 crossmember should fit between the frame rails. I've seen these things get beat up and then bent back into shape, heck, Im guilty of it :rolleyes:
It probably just needs stretched back out a bit.

Originally the 76 CJ7 had a manual transmission but can't remember off the top of my head what it was, as when I got it was converted to an automatic. :eek:

Oh, Poop. Ive been trying to line up all the holes. Perhaps I just need to redrill some to line up with those in the 76 frame?
If the frame is bent, any idea of how to squeeze the frame back in? Also, any ideas on why manufactures sell cross members specifically for just 1976-80 cjs or 1981-1986 cjs? Perhaps due to the different transmission and transfer cases?

Another thought, Perhaps I am trying to install the skid plate too far towards the back of the vehicle? Any idea on which holes the skid plate resides in stock for?

Thanks for your help!:notworthy:

Probably not, but could you be installing the plate backwards?

Yes you might need to redrill ....... but then again, how is your transmission/motor install going? I'd be waiting until that is more or less complete, the skid plate is for all practical purposes the last thing you install before hitting the streets with basically your new toy.

Probably not, but could you be installing the plate backwards?

Yes you might need to redrill ....... but then again, how is your transmission/motor install going? I'd be waiting until that is more or less complete, the skid plate is for all practical purposes the last thing you install before hitting the streets with basically your new toy.

Good question. I believe I'm installing correctly but, you never know. :eek:
I have the low lip/drop towards the rear of the vehicle. So the narrower side goes towards the front of the vehicle. Let me know if that makes sense and if it sounds right.. or wrong.

I believe I have the mounts in a good spot, just want to raise everything up. I think I'll just get a CV rear driveshaft for the steeper angle. Thanks for asking. :p
Although, I am learning I don't care for the cheap transdapt motor mounts I bought as they don't look tough and are horizontal and may not sustain weight and bouncing... Hope to locate motor mounts that angle vertically into/at the engine from the frame... Or even, something that will secure to my stock 258 frame mounts but attach to the gm 4.3 v6 s10 blazer engine.

I know it appears I'm being picky but the more I think and look at it, I am worried about the quality issues with the mounts I bought.

Also, I LOVE the Novak adapter that is for my dana 300 transfer case. Its all put together. It was a breeze compared to the Dana 20 adapter. :eek: But that's cause I'm a newb. At this point I'm looking to find better mounts, align it all, then throw it together. Perhaps that is why I have had a hard time.. As I never felt comfortable with the mounts.

I've really want beefier (like mount style in yj jeeps) then the current ones.

Thanks for asking. :D

Did you get the 300 to shift properly? How are you going to shift it into gear? Shift linkage adaptor of some sort?

I few pictures of the skid plate would really help us-to help you. ;)
LG

Did you get the 300 to shift properly? How are you going to shift it into gear? Shift linkage adaptor of some sort?

Oh yeah forgot to mention that when I installed the shifter nut tight and drenched the shifter rods with wd40 the shifter went into neutral.

However, I bought a pair of JB fab twin sticks just in case the linkage gives me issues. I've purchased from Jon before and he has always been quick to respond and ship his products.. And his products are top quality.. So, may just throw the twin stick in before installing the transfer case.

Would you know if it is easier to install the tramsfer case onto the skid plate then place it on the transmission? or remove the engine and tranny, install the transfer case onto the tranny and then install in the jeep??? :confused:

Hey Lumpy.. Here are some pictures of the skid plate that I got in a trade. The guy said it came off a 86 CJ7 jeep that had a t4 and dana 300. (Actually I mainly wanted the transfer case and skidplate but also got the t4.) :D

I tried to write "front" on the cardboard but failed. The narrower side, I'm assuming is the front. And its sitting as it should be lifted onto the frame, correct?

Last edited:
Originally the 76 CJ7 had a manual transmission but can't remember off the top of my head what it was, as when I got it was converted to an automatic. :eek:
T-150 maybe?

Oh, Poop. Ive been trying to line up all the holes. Perhaps I just need to redrill some to line up with those in the 76 frame?
That might just be the case
If the frame is bent, any idea of how to squeeze the frame back in?
I doubt your frame is bent. I was referring to the skid plate itself. The don't hold form very well when rocks and stumps and things like that come into contact.
Also, any ideas on why manufactures sell cross members specifically for just 1976-80 cjs or 1981-1986 cjs? Perhaps due to the different transmission and transfer cases?
I think so. Im pretty sure the frame rails on a 76 are the same distance as an 86...but again....I could be wrong

Another thought, Perhaps I am trying to install the skid plate too far towards the back of the vehicle? Any idea on which holes the skid plate resides in stock for?
Wait until you get your tranny and case mocked up with the engine. This will give you an idea where you need to install the crossmember.

Thanks for your help!:notworthy:
```

Hey Lumpy.. Here are some pictures of the skid plate that I got in a trade. The guy said it came off a 86 CJ7 jeep that had a t4 and dana 300. (Actually I mainly wanted the transfer case and skidplate but also got the t4.) :D

I tried to write "front" on the cardboard but failed. The narrower side, I'm assuming is the front. And its sitting as it should be lifted onto the frame, correct?

Yep. That's the very crossmember I've had to bend back to shape roughly a half dozen times. :D

First picture-The 'top' part of the skidplate in that picture is the front end.
This is from a trusted source of mine-The bolt holes in your 76's frame are totally different than the pattern on that s'plate.
LG

Last edited:
Yep. That's the very crossmember I've had to bend back to shape roughly a half dozen times. :D

Good to know.. What would you suggest is a good way to straighten the skid plate? :confused:

First picture-The 'top' part of the skidplate in that picture is the front end.
This is from a trusted source of mine-The bolt holes in your 76's frame are totally different than the pattern on that s'plate.
LG

Great! Thats the way I figured it went. So it looks like once I figure out the placement for the drive train and what mounts to use, then I can cut holes in the skid plate.
:ty:

Good to know.. What would you suggest is a good way to straighten the skid plate? :confused:

If it's bent 'upwards'. Sit the mounting flanges between two cider-block bricks, in it's correct orientation.
Then jump up & down on the s'plate to bring the flanges flat/horizontal, then 'fine tune' with a BFH as needed.
When finished with the 'straightening'. Look for cracks and weld them up as need'd.
IMHO- the OEM late 80's 'skidplate' is way to thin for it's intended job. Once again the AMC 'bean counters' had their hands involved :rolleyes:
LG

If it's bent 'upwards'. Sit the mounting flanges between two cider-block bricks, in it's correct orientation.
Then jump up & down on the s'plate to bring the flanges flat/horizontal, then 'fine tune' with a BFH as needed.
When finished with the 'straightening'. Look for cracks and weld them up as need'd.
IMHO- the OEM late 80's 'skidplate' is way to thin for it's intended job. Once again the AMC 'bean counters' had their hands involved :rolleyes:
LG
:agree: This.

LG

ROFL.. I may have to try this.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks