Why is bondo taking 3 days to dry????

Why is bondo taking 3 days to dry????

VT Woodsman

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7 304 v8 , 4speed which i think is out of a newer cj. Im pretty sure it has a stock transfer case.
I had a hole the size of an apple on my lower rocker, so i poured some alcohol all over the edges to clean grime from the edge of the rust , then 10 minutes later i mixed up an orange size blob of bondo and filled in the hole. Well 3 days later its still gummy, almost feels like dryed up chewing gum. I mixed the bondo till it turned pink, im wondering if i used to much hardner? Any ideas fellas?

If you used to much hardner it would have been getting hard before you got it looking the way you wanted it. So after this much time I would say you have some bad stuff. Did you just buy it? And where did you get it from? It should have been hard enough to sand in 15min.

I would have to say that you did not get enough hardener in it bur some time temperature can have a factor. What is the temp?

Next, Bondo is not really very good for filling holes unless they are very small, like screw holes. If you are going to fill a big hole steel or fiberglass is your best bet, then use a little bondo to make it smooth. If the bondo is more than !/8" it will crack and/or fall out.:cool:

Did you bother to read the directions for the product you were using?
An apple sized hole might be out of spec for one aplication.:D

Im a guy of course i didnt read any directions, :chug:, hell i didnt even know there was such a thing.:D. Im going to diamond plate up the rockers anyway, so i was slapping bondo on like i was iceing a cake. You know the more is better route:eek:.

You got a bad can of bondo. Go get another can and try it again

For that size hole bondo will just crack and fall out anyway. I wouldnt buy another can. The more is better method is no good with bondo.

I would use fiberglass to fix that if you cant weld in new metal. If you arent going to repair it right away and just cover it with diamond plate clean it up and hit it with some rust converter. Then when your ready to fix it correctly it wont be worse than it already is. :)

Im a guy of course i didnt read any directions, :chug:, hell i didnt even know there was such a thing.:D. Im going to diamond plate up the rockers anyway, so i was slapping bondo on like i was iceing a cake. You know the more is better route:eek:.

Didn't we go over "use a little at a time" in a previous thread you started asking about how to use bondo ?

Impatience isn't a virtue.

i poured some alcohol all over the edges to clean grime from the edge of the rust

Bondo over rust is another no-no I think was brought up as well.

Last edited:
Holy :dung:, you sound just like a teacher i once had.

I'm sorry you feel that way. This is a thread you created, Yes? where can i learn to use bondo? - Jeep-CJ Forums

Thanks guys, i just like chattin about jeeps. I did learn alot already. If i didnt know better i would have slapped bondo on like cake iceing. I would have figured more is better. I just have a few spots with rust the side of a plum, so im going to grind the rust and lightly do a few coats of bondo over it then prime and repaint.
Your words, not mine. We all have bouts of CRS at times.

Your recent concerns about body repair options must have left you a little befuddled. Many folks tried helping you out. I'm only one of many.

From my handle here, you may say I take my "body filler repairs" seriously.

Others playfully (or pointedly) suggest using any body filler is a lack of pride. That welding new panels on is the only serious repair. Where structural integrity is concerned, that is correct.

I wasn't offended in the slightest at those comments.

You stated you didn't have much metal fabrication skill, so some basic pointers were given to help you resolve your problems, within what was thought your skill level.

I think we have all failed you with those assumptions.

Last edited:
I'd be glad to teach you whatever you WANT to learn v. . but I am that teacher you once had . . at least figuratively. I was a tech teacher for 30 years, taught Auto and Engineering etc, etc. So if you want to learn, just ask. But be ready for the truth :) Oh and filler doesn't dry, it cures. Dry means to loose moisture, filler hardens through an exothermic reaction, meaning it creates and gives off it's own heat.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks