who makes a winch bumper for a cj?

who makes a winch bumper for a cj?

jesseb

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ 7 bone stock for now
I was wondering if anyone makes a bolt on winch bumper for a cj? Maybe something with a small stinger on it. I was going to make my own but don't have a tube bender or a lot of time right now. I know I can get winch plates but really haven't seen many winch plate bumper combos. If anyone know of a good one please let me know. Thanks

Try looking at all the big guy's, Quadrtech, 4wd.com, Morris etc. There's a handful of companies that make what you're looking for.

Check out this guy 1976-1986 CJ build it with what you want

Groundpounder fab will build you one to spec as well for a great price. But shipping from VA to CO would be pricey. He does great work though.

What is the best way to mount a winch on a 1975 CJ5 with just a stock bumper?

Check out this guy 1976-1986 CJ build it with what you want

Is it just me, or are those prices really cheap? Warn is like triple the cost for a bumper and tire carrier, if not more. Have you ever bought something from them before? :confused: Seems almost too good to be true :eek:

No, I thought that too. And the page is a bit confusing, the pics don't match the pricing beside them. They show a bumper with hitch, clevises, and tire carrier; but then the description says the things are optional. The price is for the bumper alone.

No, I thought that too. And the page is a bit confusing, the pics don't match the pricing beside them. They show a bumper with hitch, clevises, and tire carrier; but then the description says the things are optional. The price is for the bumper alone.
Yeah, it's the pic to get you to look thing. But after you add the goodies you want it still a good price, and I have seen 2 of the front bumpers and they look well built.

Rollie - Just get a winch mounting plate from ProMark or something similar. They will work with most any bumper. I use this one.
Jeep Wrangler CJ Winch Mounting Plate. 50% Off Retail.

JesseB - Smittybilt makes an adapter plate that lets you use any of their bumpers made for a wrangler on a Jeep frame.
Smittybilt Part 2812 - Front Bumper Adapter
I ended up getting the one from ProMark. When I got it out there it was pretty obvious that the side brackets were not going to fit. I contacted ProMark and sent them pictures and they right away told me to send it back and that they would pay the shipping. Before I did though, I looked at it and decided that I might be able to fabricate the brackets. I got two pieced of 4" angle iron, seven inches long and 1/4" thick. I drilled them in the right places and bolted them on to the frame. Total cost was a little under $12 for the angle irons. Then I took the ProMark tray and bolted that to the mounts just like it would have if the mounts that came with it had fit. It worked out great, and I think it is even stronger than it would have been as the brackets are a lot thicker metal. Anyway, I contacted ProMark and told them what I had done. They said that it sounded good, and also gave me a credit on the purchase which more than paid for the extra cost to make the brackets. I thought that was very good of them.

^^ that is not a winch bumper, this is a winch bumper!:D

^^ that is not a winch bumper, this is a winch bumper!:D

You are right, that is quite the winch bumper, but that isn't what I wanted to do with mine. :D

not what I want anymore either just have not found time to build the next generation.:cool:

you are right about the fact that there is not a lot of stuff out there for a CJ.

I decided to go with a pro mark plate and the stock bumper. I plan to cut a little of the front lip off the promark plate on both sides and mount a tow hook into the plate. Here is what it looks like now. I haven't finished it yet but I am getting there. Thanks for all the links.
20130124_215402.png

Not sure why it didn't fit yours Rollie but glad to hear you found a solution and that ProMark treated you right.

Jesse - I'd be leary of using the same bolts holding you winch and plate to attach a tow hook to. Should you need to winch to a snatch block and back to your hook as an anchor, you'll be doubling the load applied to that bolt. Maybe put the hook on the bottom side of the bumper / frame and add a clip to it so the strap or cable will stay hooked. Just a thought.

Thanks I didn't think about the load if I were to use a block and attach back to the bumper. I haven't had the need for that kind of winching before. I was thinking it would be a solid place for a towing point. Once it stops snowing I will get check it out and see if I can fine a better location.

Not sure why it didn't fit yours Rollie but glad to hear you found a solution and that ProMark treated you right.

Jesse - I'd be leary of using the same bolts holding you winch and plate to attach a tow hook to. Should you need to winch to a snatch block and back to your hook as an anchor, you'll be doubling the load applied to that bolt. Maybe put the hook on the bottom side of the bumper / frame and add a clip to it so the strap or cable will stay hooked. Just a thought.
I don't know why it didn't fit either. A lot of things that are supposed to fit my jeep don't. Sometimes I'm not real sure what I even have. I was happy with ProMark and even bought a couple of accessories from them last week with the credit that they gave me.

I think that I'm going to put my hooks on the bottom of the frame. I had two of them mounted on the top of the frame but of course I put the mount there. I don't have the clips, and I wish that I could find just them. I have those two clevises mounted on the bumper, but I don't think that bumper is attached well enough to put a lot of pull on them. I would hate to tear those bolts out that hold the bumper to the frame.

I know what you mean. I added a third mounting point to each side, directly behind the D rings that hold the clevises.
img1438u.jpg

I just notched my winch plate to fit around my hooks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks